NEurope
or else you will DIE

Super Mario 3D Land

Not since the implementation of four right-hand buttons

Pretty sure New Super Mario Bros DS gave you the option? Coz I used B to run.

I'll tell you what feels weird! after playing SM3DL, I went back and played a bit of Galaxy 2, it felt really odd for the first 5-10 minutes, mainly because of the fact that there's no run button, I was instinctively pressing buttons trying to make mario dash, it was quite funny.

Btw have any of you guys seen the difference between marios jumps between 3DL & SMG/SMG2? especially his crouch jump & side jump. they arent nearly as high compared to Galaxy, this was evident when I first played 3DL as I was trying to reach a higher platform and neither of his other jump were effective.

but after saying that it doesnt really matter, it's probably because the stages in 3DL are much smaller so higher jumps wont really be necessary, in contrast the stages in galaxy are much larger, so its required.

Pretty sure New Super Mario Bros DS gave you the option? Coz I used B to run.

Yes, we had this discussion when Super Mario 3D Land was just released, and apparently it did. :heh:

I don't really understand people's preference for using A+B. Is it just because that's how it was back on the NES? Because I've tried bending my thumb to use A+B instead of the much superior Y+B and it seems really uncomfortable/you have to press A with a weird part of your thumb.

It's like you guys have talons or something.

Yes, we had this discussion when Super Mario 3D Land was just released, and apparently it did. :heh:

I don't really understand people's preference for using A+B. Is it just because that's how it was back on the NES? Because I've tried bending my thumb to use A+B instead of the much superior Y+B and it seems really uncomfortable/you have to press A with a weird part of your thumb.

It's like you guys have talons or something.

I think I used those buttons just coz they were always more comfortable. On NSMB, I dont use the top of my thumb - I use the middle so it was just easier to use the A and B buttons.

No talons here! :laughing:

I completed the special world today with Mario. Don't know if I can be arsed to go through it all again right now, might take a break from the game for a while, even though I probably can go through it in a couple of hours with Luigi since I don't have to collect star coins this time.

Found the game rather challenging at times, especially in the later Special stages. Adding to this increase in difficulty was my equally increasing stupidity at times. I died a lot of times because of stupid mistakes I kept doing on and on. So I ended up at about 235 retries before my Luigi-go.

The 3D was nice but I didn't really use it. It was nice though to have the option to make it pop out of the screen or make it go deeper into the screen; I found the latter more stressing on the eyes whereas the former didn't really do anything to the game.

The only issue I have with the game is related to the controls or physics. They were a bit too realistic at times where Mario just totally lost his momentum so he couldn't make a longer jump or a higher jump. It was too hard to accellerate him so he would make the jumps, and this resulted in some frustrating deaths for me as I felt it wasn't really my fault (even though it probably was).

But overall I really enjoyed the game! Great fun, great tunes, great graphics! The charm is immediate from the moment you turn the game on.

Finally got my first Game Over screen yesterday, on Special World 8. Guess I'd better go back to some of the earlier worlds to stock up on lives and star coins!

How did you get a game over screen? I'm on Special world 3 and have like 90 lives I think i was...must be some hard things in store if i'm gonna game over

I have had many game over screens BUT then I am not coordinated. :)

Only because you play while watching movies. :p

So I did it anyway and completed the game with Luigi so now I'm at the final level. I hate it. I'm finding it so difficult to land on those small boxes in the air without the tanooki-suit and furthermore, when I get to that Toad on a small box, I can't jump high because I have the Tanooki-suit on. That's how far I've made it into that level. I've seen videos of it and the level looks better and easier after this part. I hate jumping onto small things on a small screen.

So five minutes later I did it and I was right. Did the "second" part of the level in my first try with Luigi. Now for the Mario-run!

Edited by MindFreak

I couldn't do it with the Tanooki suit for the first half either. It kept putting of my jumps. After that is a lot easier though.

Just got the last star medal and golden flag, and now I find out I'm supposed to complete all levels with both Mario and Luigi to get the final star? :shakehead I wish I'd looked sooner - I could have chosen more carefully which brother I was going to use when I was going back to get the star medals and golden flags..

And I was hoping to get the game beat and treat myself to Pullblox today as well!

Just completed it first time round with Mario, still had 113 lives and collected 153 star coins. Can't be arsed playing it any further.

I could have chosen more carefully which brother I was going to use when I was going back to get the star medals and golden flags..

It actually tells you on the level select screen who you have cleared each level with so you'll be OK :smile:

He probably just meant that if he'd known he'd have to complete the game with both Mario and Luigi before replaying a bunch of levels anyway, he could have picked the brother he hadn't already completed the levels with.

As it stands, he may have replayed a level with the same brother when he went back to get the golden flags and will have to play through the level a third time just because Nintendo wanted to pad the game out as much as possible.

But yeah, that was pretty annoying. At least it's a short game, I guess. :blank:

Yeah, I didn't realise you had to do both. Luckily I'd done 75% of the first 8 worlds with both, so I've done them all now. Special world is probably only about 30%, though, so may take a few more days..

Best. Mario. Game. Ever!

also

Best. 3DS. Game. Yet!

Currently sitting at almost 32 hours of playtime, 0 deaths, 1110 lives, 302 Star Coins, every level completed with both Mario and Luigi...

Now I "just" have to get the remaining 697 Star Coins, and I will at last be 100% done.

Bull. Shit.

Been playing this now and then when I have free moments and I'm loving it. Much better than New Super Mario Bros. Really feels like a traditional Mario game but with plenty of new ideas.

The raccoon tail makes the game very easy though I think.

Totally agree with you, this game shows just how poor New Super Mario Bros is. Fantastic game, although the amount of play time you have to put in to get the 5th star is a little silly, but I'll probably still do it!

This may sound like a stupid question... but what does the P wing do on this game? I've only ever seen one and I accidentally lost it the moment I picked it up :<

It was in one of those cube levels, absolutely filled with leaves, stupid me picked up the P wind then started picking up the leaves without even considering they would overwrite it.

This may sound like a stupid question... but what does the P wing do on this game?

It sends you right to the flagpole at the end of the level.

I think you can also get one if you die so many times that the game decides that even being invincible isn't going to get you through a level. :heh:

This thread is a bit spoilerific. Lost worlds? Luigi? Totally late to the party...

Anyhoo, got this and Mario Kart 7 for Christmas and adore this game. The 3D "POP!" is lovely and everything just looks so....rotund. Wonderful. With some of the levels I'm kinda wishing for it to totally open up ala Mario64 but it's a perfectly executed little piece of entertainment resulting in short hits of pure joy. I'm a pure Nintendo junkie atm.

Nintendo, you bastards, you've only gone and made my new favourite Mario game!

Going to pick this up tomorrow, need a 2nd game for when i get bored of Mario Kart on the train.

Got to the final, final level last night - hmm, pretty much as hard as others have been making out! I think I got fairly close to the end, but it's going to be more than a few more tries until I beat it...