NEurope
LegoMan1031

Car Insurances will no longer be able to charge different amounts based on Gender

Maybe they should just create a national car insurance tax?

Northern ireland isn't as simple as that though. We are a part of the UK, but we do have different road laws than the UK, and under a different road governing body (DVLNI) but i'm not so sure WHY our insurance has to be so much dearer.:sad:

I'm 24, female, 1 yrs ncb, group 1 car - £550!!

Personally I'd call that cheap after only 1 year of driving on your own policy.

I'd say that's nuts! Is that the old or new system for groups though? My Elise was a group 43 and wasn't that much more expensive (granted I'm a little older with more no claims) still seems dear to me though.

it was 1 on the old, 2 on the new. 1litre yaris.. has about as much power as a pushbike :p

it is expensive, and definitely different to the mainland uk, because i've compared with people before (like nightwolf who is younger than me, has a higher spec car, and she's on about the same insurance cost) My parents insurance(s) spiked when they moved over here as well.

I remember at around the time you getting that car, I was pricing up insurance for my first year in the Yaris, and I put your reg into confused.com for me, for lolz. £8,000. D:

My only real thought is that NI must be considered some sort of 'danger zone' and the premiums reflect that.

The £8,000 (Why do American keyboards not have a pound sign?), isn't too far off some of the quotes I got. I had to do a lot of phoning around to get it into my affordable range.

I can't say I agree with this particular ruling, women are proven to be lower risk road users so I don't see why they shouldn't enjoy lower premiums. All this going to do is make driving even more prohibitively expensive for everyone.

Well I don't think they should look at it as men vs women. They should look at it as bad drivers vs good drivers. Drivers' rates go up if there are more bad drivers, and down if the amount of bad drivers goes down. Men exclusively paying for the idiots on the road just isn't fair if women get off scot-free.

Does this mean Sheila's wheels is illegal now? I mean they only deal with women, they can price however they like right? Seems like it will split the companies into companies that deal with women and companies that deal with men if Sheila's wheels are allowed to continue, since no woman would buy from the one that deals with both.

Actually this could potentially drive men's rates up, so that companies can cover the cost of losing the women to the women-only companies :hmm:

My only real thought is that NI must be considered some sort of 'danger zone' and the premiums reflect that.

The £8' date='000 (Why do American keyboards not have a pound sign?), isn't too far off some of the quotes I got. I had to do a lot of phoning around to get it into my affordable range.[/quote']

its pretty insane, that's like... half of my wage.. think i'll stick with my lil push bike car that I only have to fill up once every 5/6 weeks =P

It's probably just down to the fact that there is a lot o crime in n.ireland.

heroicjanitor - why should women have to pay for the fact that there are far too many stupid careless young men on the roads? Believe it or not they don't actually pluck numbers out of their arse, they are basing it on real stats. That's like saying the mainland UK should pay more for insurance because northern ireland has a high crime rate.

Edited by Raining_again

This DOES mean that the women rate will be pushed up to MEET the male qouta rather than the other way around I hope you know.

It's more fair but it's win win for insurance companies either way.

heroicjanitor - why should women have to pay for the fact that there are far too many stupid careless young men on the roads?

The same applies to sensible male drivers. Why should I pay more because other people in my age group/gender are twats? Males have been generalised by insurance companies forever, the only difference now is that women are being lumped in too. It's funny how no women say it's unfair that all males are tarred with the same brush, but then when they're lumped in too they're all up in arms.

Ideally, the insurance prices for men would come down and the prices for women would go up and meet somewhere in the middle. That way, all the extra money young men had to pay before to cover the risk of the twats would be spread equally between men and women within the same age group. That way, the whole age group takes the burden, not just males.

Although we all know the companies will just end up raising the price of womens insurance to match mens instead of meeting in the middle.

Edited by Goafer

They were talking about this on the radio, and the presenter said that they would lower the men's charges and raise the women's. I don't know how much you can trust the FM104 Phone Show guy though.

Edited by Diageo

Hopefully other gender-based shite will be eroded soon too, like clubs being free/cheaper for girls before a certain time etc.

That pisses me off. It's quality not quantity cuntz. Let the right one in.

(I love that Quality Cuntz could be a shop name)

Actually it terms of female preferential treatment in clubs it is all about quality cuntz.*

Aaaaanyway. I've always been a bit narked that I'd have to pay higher car insurance for simply having a penis. It doesn't drive the car, I do! I know they go on average statistics but it seems a bit rude. I'm smarter than your average bear.

But I don't drive anyway so I don't have too much beef with it.

*wait I just see you said quality anyway. Whatever, I just want to use the expression quality cuntz.

Edited by Ashley

heroicjanitor - why should women have to pay for the fact that there are far too many stupid careless young men on the roads? Believe it or not they don't actually pluck numbers out of their arse, they are basing it on real stats. That's like saying the mainland UK should pay more for insurance because northern ireland has a high crime rate.

Because it's unfair generalization, many young men are good drivers. There is that couple that like to show off to their mates but the rest of us shouldn't have to suffer. Your opinion is going to be typical however. I'll be listening to this shit for the rest of the week on the radio no doubt.

You will have to pay for careless young drivers, just like men have to.

I am quite happy to say i am in the minority (like others on here) who r young men who have driven for years and have not claimed or had a claim against them. I'm 23 now and got myself 5 years no claims at present and i'm still paying a fortune. Should go down as i pass the age of 25 though.

The annoying thing is that men's prices won't go down, women's will just go up.

Personally I do think that although women should enjoy lower premiums if they statistically crash less, there's definitely something wrong with the system. My friend paid £800 for provisional insurance, I paid £1000. Fair enough, I have testicles. When we passed, she paid an extra £100, I paid an extra £900. Very annoying but my testicles say I'm more likely to crash. During that year I got a year ncb, she crash into somebody else's car (her fault). I got a renewal price, £1000, she got a renewal price, £600. How in the world does my gender negate the fact that I've proven over the course of a year that I'm a safe driver, and that she has proven she isn't?

Northern ireland isn't as simple as that though. We are a part of the UK, but we do have different road laws than the UK, and under a different road governing body (DVLNI) but i'm not so sure WHY our insurance has to be so much dearer.:sad:

That's less than half my quotes for 3 years no claims.

I was talking about this last night with the folks. We came to the conclusion that Insurance companies will probably find a way to charge the female drivers a lesser rate than males, even with the gender ruling. Probably something along the lines of "Special Offers"

I was talking about this last night with the folks. We came to the conclusion that Insurance companies will probably find a way to charge the female drivers a lesser rate than males, even with the gender ruling. Probably something along the lines of "Special Offers"

That's exactly the reason that I'm going to get a second quote but declare myself as a female every time I get a quote. If it's different I'm going to ask them why and then kindly request the lowest of the two.

You will have to pay for careless young drivers, just like men have to.

so should you have to pay for northern ireland's crime rates too? Being as we're all for equality...

moogle you are a lot younger than me, and have a different car, without the male/female separation

so should you have to pay for northern ireland's crime rates too? Being as we're all for equality...

moogle you are a lot younger than me, and have a different car, without the male/female seperation

If you gave the thing back to Ireland, then sure.

Northern Ireland is not part of the republic of Ireland. If it was, then we could pay for Northern Ireland's crime rates.

Are crime rates a factor of car insurance, I wouldn't know. But if it is surely you pay for the crime rates of wherever you live and/or park. I don't see what that has to do with anything though.

Are crime rates a factor of car insurance, I wouldn't know. But if it is surely you pay for the crime rates of wherever you live and/or park. I don't see what that has to do with anything though.

Because you pay different premiums for the area you live in, job you have, car you drive etc. all based on statistics, so why not gender?

Does ethnicity or religion factor into it?

I mean I don't see what crime rates in Northern Ireland have anything to do with insurance policies in the Republic of Ireland.

I mean I don't see what crime rates in Northern Ireland have anything to do with insurance policies in the Republic of Ireland.

And raining doesn't see what crashes caused by men have to do with her insurance policy.

And raining doesn't see what crashes caused by men have to do with her insurance policy.

Equality between countries and equality between genders are two very different things.

Insurance is a big kettle of fish I know very little about, and it seems like the only place where gender inequalities are acceptable.

But thinking about it. If something like milk was statistically shown to be bought more by woman than men, or that men pirated more games than women, would that make it fair to charge women less for those things.

I don't know where I stand on this anyway, and don't particularly care right now because it doesn't effect me. Although if what I heard about men's prices coming down, then I guess it could be beneficial for me if I ever got a car.