NEurope
LegoMan1031

Car Insurances will no longer be able to charge different amounts based on Gender

Just read this on BBC news, from 21st December 2012 car insurance companies will no longer be able to charge different amounts just based on gender, they seem to think this will mean female insurances will go up rather than mens going down.

What is everyones thoughts on this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

My thoughts are that December 31st 2012 is ages away. :P

In theory I think it sounds good for men. I've been driving almost 3 years now and have never come close to having a scrape or a bump, yet I still pay almost £1000 for a 1.1 £400 Rover.

The trouble is that we all know insurance companies will do pretty much anything to get more money out of you, so I can't imagine much changing for blokes at all unfortunately.

Definatly, I remember when i first learned to drive, i had 1.4 fiesta, i got a quote for £1900 fully comp whereas my gf at the time who only had a provisional licence was quoted £800!!!!!

But yeah it doesn't sound like anything will change for men, just make women pay more. At the end of the day insurances are in it to make money so they are not going to want to lose out.

I thought that they took age/gender/where you live/everything and compare it to statistics of similar people?

So surely by this logic they'll also have to remove age from the equation, too.

Yeah, on the one hand it seems reasonable, but if they're going to accept this, then they're being inconsistent if they don't also ban huge numbers of other variables used in calculting insurance. Which is kind of silly in the case of age and life insurance...

I thought that they took age/gender/where you live/everything and compare it to statistics of similar people?

So surely by this logic they'll also have to remove age from the equation, too.

I know they take age and sex into consideration, i'm not sure about the other stuff. You make a good point though since it's the young male 17-25 bracket which they charge the most on.

Just have to wait till someone challenges the age side of things then! :rolleyes:

Just have to wait till someone challenges the age side of things then! :rolleyes:

Nobody listens to people under 25.

Good. Next they need to get rid of these companies that advertise for women only Sheila's Wheels and Diamond for example.

Hopefully other gender-based shite will be eroded soon too, like clubs being free/cheaper for girls before a certain time etc.

That pisses me off. It's quality not quantity cuntz. Let the right one in.

(I love that Quality Cuntz could be a shop name)

Hopefully other gender-based shite will be eroded soon too, like clubs being free/cheaper for girls before a certain time etc.

That pisses me off. It's quality not quantity cuntz. Let the right one in.

(I love that Quality Cuntz could be a shop name)

Nah you need the ladies in the club. Otherwise:

Jokes aside, yeah I agree its bullshit.

I can't say I agree with this particular ruling, women are proven to be lower risk road users so I don't see why they shouldn't enjoy lower premiums. All this going to do is make driving even more prohibitively expensive for everyone.

Yeah, on the one hand it seems reasonable, but if they're going to accept this, then they're being inconsistent if they don't also ban huge numbers of other variables used in calculting insurance. Which is kind of silly in the case of age and life insurance...

They do indeed, if you live in a town centre/city for example your insurance can be much, much more expensive.

I personally feel that it's probably a good thing in some cases, not every man is a bad driver, just as every woman isn't a good driver (personally I find men better drivers and more likely to be courteous.)

That said I don't want my insurance to now raise to make it more ''fair'', I've no claims and I'm a good driver, pssh.

Seems a bit weird to me, the whole system is based on a range of risk factors and much as I hate to say it there's a good proportion of idiots who make men higher risk. If all this does is remove one factor my guess is premiums will come down a tiny bit for men and rise dramatically for women.

Too bad I have to sell my car, my premium had dropped to £600 for this year.

I can't say I agree with this particular ruling, women are proven to be lower risk road users so I don't see why they shouldn't enjoy lower premiums. All this going to do is make driving even more prohibitively expensive for everyone.

I wouldn't say proven. I'd say statistically shown. That does not mean that is actually the case. Statistics can be warped so easily

I wouldn't say proven. I'd say statistically shown. That does not mean that is actually the case. Statistics can be warped so easily

I agree, but in this case all the data collated by both commercial and government bodies has always demonstrated clearly and consistently that women as a group are safer drivers. Somehow I doubt your average insurance company would hesitate to raise premiums if there was any doubt to the contrary.

I have a clean record for 4 1/2 years since I passed my test. Why should I pay more than a similar woman? Statistics don't mean anything to the individual, I know I'm a good driver. I know some guys who aren't good drivers but I also know girls who aren't good drivers.

Pff, I don't really care either way, but I can see why insurance companies charge younger men more. They make profits based on risks. If someone is a higher risk, they have to charge more because it's more likely they'll have to pay out. They're presented with a list of statistics and statistically, young men are more likely to crash/claim. They make educated decisions based on the facts available (or at least they're supposed to). Blame the reckless, boy racer, twatbags for putting your premiums up, not the insurance companies.

Although all insurance companies are still greedy shits. They have to be to stay in business. Welcome to capitalism.

And I do hate that my female friends get cheaper car insurance than me, especially when they have the driving ability of a toddler on an ice rink. One's scared of motorway driving and another let her tyres get so bald that they wore through the inner wires within the tyre. To be fair though, there has been some pretty shocking driving from a few male friends too.

I'm just waiting for the "baww! My insurance are high!". They'll get no sympathy from me, I've been paying double what they have since I passed.

I agree that it's right that insurance quotes should be equal regardless of sex.

Young men can drive like idiots, but yet so can women. Unfortunately the few seem to spoil it for the many which is why we always pay more.

I always thought that quotes should be based on how you drive. If you drive like a dick then you have to pay more. If you're a sensible driver, then you should pay less, regardless of whether you have breasts or not.

I agree that it's right that insurance quotes should be equal regardless of sex.

Young men can drive like idiots, but yet so can women. Unfortunately the few seem to spoil it for the many which is why we always pay more.

I always thought that quotes should be based on how you drive. If you drive like a dick then you have to pay more. If you're a sensible driver, then you should pay less, regardless of whether you have breasts or not.

Yeah, in an ideal world people would be assessed individually, but the insurance companies are hardly going to do a background check on every single customer to find out what sort of driver they are. They have to work with generalisations, and unfortunately, as a young male, the group you belong to is full of twats in Saxos skidding through country lanes and smashing up the countryside with their wayward vehicles.

Also, the type of crashes vary between young males and young females. Men tend to crash because they were driving to fast/like a bellend, women tend to crash because they're clumsy. Clumsy crashes are usually a bump in traffic etc, which causes far less damage than a crash at speed. So men are more likely to crash and more likely to cause a massive bill when they do it. To me, it makes perfect sense to charge young males more because generally they take more from the insurance companies in payouts.

I don't like it as much as the next guy, but I can see the logic in the old methods. For the companies, it's a game of risks and all statistics point to young males being riskier for them. I am going to be sadistic and enjoy the ladyfolks whinging at things I've had to put up with for years though. Simple joys.

On a side note, I'm waiting for Chairs response to this whole gender debacle. How are trans-gender people's premiums going to be effected?

To me, it makes perfect sense to charge young males more because generally they take more from the insurance companies in payouts.

From a business point of view, it makes sense. The broad-brushed sexism, however, is something I find deeply offensive - the link between high-speed crashes and young men is due to reasons other than them just being young men. Even if that was the cause, they shouldn't be allowed to discriminate in such a manner, as they aren't in certain others: black people in the UK tend to live in areas were car theft is more common, but imagine the outcry if companies started charging black motorists more than others...

the link between high-speed crashes and young men is due to reasons other than them just being young men.

What other reasons, specifically?

As long as my insurance goes down, I don't give a crap about anyone else.

thank you!!!

fucks sake this is going to be HORRIBLE for us females in northern ireland.. Our insurance costs are horrendous as it is without giving us that incentive...Here's me thinking that my insurance was going to go down, its probably going to go up now :angry:

I do hate everything sheila's wheels stand for and their mocking of the female species... We aren't all pink, handbags and shoes :(