N-Europe

Sonic 4 Episode 2, first "details"

flameboy

First whisperings of what we can expect from Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 have sprung forth from SEGA HQ.

As spotted by fan site The Sonic Stadium, brand manager Ken Balough has been answering questions in a Sonic 4 thread over on the official SEGA forum.

He hasn't given much away, other than confirming that work is underway on the sequel to last year's downloadable 2D platformer, and that SEGA is looking to improve on the original.

"SoA and SoE are both giving feedback and input on Episode II. Episode I did very well for SEGA commercially, and thanks to everyone's support, we definitely have a lot of traction going into Episode II," he wrote.

"This usually means better budgets, etc. That said – I see a lot of really great ideas going into the next installment."

"I certainly cannot deny there were some elements that could have been done better – and I could say that about most games I've worked on," he added elsewhere in the thread, addressing fan criticisms of Episode 1.

"That's why Episode II gives us that opportunity to address them (or as much as possible)."

As to when the game might be ready, Balough would only say, "You definitely wont have to wait years and years a la Duke Nukem Forever."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-25-first-sonic-4-episode-2-details-emerge

Not really much in the way of details but its something all the same at least we know something is in the offing. What do people wanna see from this sequel?

A good game or bust. New levels, old style platforming. None of this floaty, homing crap.

Can't see that happening this is how sonic plays these days unfortunately.

More of the same really. Improve the running "stop" issue and Tails would be nice for co-op. Or Miles Prower (which means Miles Per Hour fact fans).

Also- DECENT bonus game please. That Sonic 1 version was dire.

Yeah I wanna see Tails and a bonus stage like those from Sonic 2!

More of the same really. Improve the running "stop" issue and Tails would be nice for co-op. Or Miles Prower (which means Miles Per Hour fact fans).

Also- DECENT bonus game please. That Sonic 1 version was dire.

They could probably make a good attempt at recreating the Sonic 2 bonus game.. and it would also be nice of them to include the multiplayer that was found in that game aswell.

A good game or bust. New levels, old style platforming. None of this floaty, homing crap.

I actually thought the homing was one of the best things Sega did with Episode 1.

It felt like it always should've been there and often stopped you running straight into enemies whilst being catapulted into the air. The previous 2D Sonic games gave you little to no control whilst in the air, so being able to home into a line of 'bots to take you to higher / undiscovered platforms was brilliant.

I am rather looking forward to Episode 2 - the first was great in my opinion. :grin:

I enjoyed the first game too, Aneres11 and thought the honing attack worked pretty well :smile:

As much as I loved the original games, and still do, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 is the only one I've ever fully completed :eek:

:eek::o

Shame on you! Lol.

I jest, i jest. :grin:

In a way, it maybe is shame on me :red:

Having said that, I never owned a Mega Drive when I was younger and only ever played the games a bit at my friends house. Most of those days were spent on things like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe :grin:

I have Sonic Mega Collection on the Gamecube but have never really felt the urge to take care of any of them front start to finish in one sitting. If anything, I may borrow the PS2 version from my brother so that I can take advantage of saving the games at any point!

Ah i see.

Yeah, the collection games that have had several versions on virtually every console under the sun are pretty good.

My fave was the PSP collection. Loved it on the PSP's screen. :grin:

But yeah i see your point - and I have to be in the mood to plan an older Sonic game. My favourite will always be the first one though.

Sonic and Knuckles being the worst IMO. Terrible levels. :angry:

As long as the new levels are good, I hope the gameplay stays the same. I didn't notice any difference in the stopping/jumping (due to how I played the Mega Drive games) and I thought the homing attack was fine. One thing I'd want is for it to be a little more zoomed out.

I want the bonus stages to also stay the same. I never liked the ones form Sonic 2 or 3. However, I expect the next one to use the ones from two and the third to use the ones from three.

Sonic 4 Ep1 was ace!!!

I never found anything wrong with the controls as i always just hold down right as i did on the mega drive.

Flameboy can confirm how much i liked this after watching me re-trying levels during the 24 hr extra life chairty event many many times to get a achievement!

EDIT: And on the topic of bonus stages i always liked the ones from Sonic 3 & S&K the most, some of them were quite challenging!

Edited by Mike1988uk
Added Text