NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
lostmario

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

I'm out. Modern Warfare 2 was horrible and I have no interest in multiplayer. :blank:

Edit: Man, this was an unproductive post. I'm so over countdowns and teaser trailers and announcements of announcements of games that will sell millions of copies anyway, though. And the Kotakus and IGNs of the world just keep lapping it up.

Edited by Magnus

Will probably be shit, but the Xbox drones will lap it up.

I loved MW2, even with all of its flaws, BO is even better in terms of level design. If MW3 can have some better maps then I'll be a very happy man. That's where I really think BO stands out over MW2.

Will definitely be getting this.

MW2's multi player was/is awesome, the best in it's genre. The campaign was fun but stupid as hell. I'll try before I buy with the third. I've only got so much room left for modern military war shooters in my library, and that'll probably be Battlefield 3. Probably.

Hopefully this borrows more from Black Ops in multiplayer and MW1 in singleplayer. As long as it doesn't revert back to the dreadful MW2 multiplayer it should be enjoyable.

Still, the main factor for me is if other people are going to be buying it/playing it a lot.

MW2's multi player was/is awesome, the best in it's genre.

Actually no, the absolute worst in recent CoD history, really.

Actually no, the absolute worst in recent CoD history, really.

So's your face.

So's your face.

Come on, be honest!

And I'm not speaking out of frustration, it's my fav CoD multiplayer as I absolutely Pwn at it and therefore it's fun for me... but it's just not balanced at all. A disaster, really. Too easy.

Well, I've got no problems with any of the balance or design of the weapons or equipment which are all very satisfying to use (except the SMG's which may as well not even be there, but it's not really a problem). The game types are all good fun and provide enough variety to keep me coming back. I think the maps are well designed. I also like how fast and busy it is and the various equipments and kill/death streaks always keep you on your toes.

I'm aware of the general backlash against MW2 in recent weeks but I really can't pay it any heed. I've been playing multi player shooters since the year 2000 and almost every major title has had the same backlash - Counter Strike Source, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 2, Halo 2, Halo 3 and every iteration there ever was of the original Counter Strike. Halo Reach will be getting it's proper by the end of this year. If Battlefield 3 releases this autumn people will be raging over it how easy/hard/unbalanced/badly designed/1337 infected/how much of a "noob fest" it generally is by Christmas 2013.

I can appreciate people falling out of love with something and moving to something different but "disaster"? Stow that hyperbole soldier. There's plenty o' war to go around.

Edited by gaggle64

The point is, every other CoD had the same things, without the same annoying and constant killstreaks rewards everywhere, the quickscoping, the one man army noobtubing... it's just insane the amout of glaring flaws it has. So much so that they've all been completely erased only one game later. The maps were fine. The guns were fine. Everything else wasn't.

Although the good secondaries made sense to me.

The killstreaks everywhere never bothered me, the quickscoping was a very, very rare thing - and even then I was never completely outgunned and managed to keep my own - the one man army noob-tubing was, again, under-utilised. You forget the sprint-slashers and the shielder tactics, but essentially they're still all just tactics. I had great fun for over 25 days worth of gaming.

But then I've not played Blops yet :P Just sold MW2 in a financial crisis too :X

None of it bothered me either, but that doesn't mean it's not there. The fact is, it's full of gaping flaws, where as the others aren't.

As for the quickscopers not outgunning you... come on... it's essentially an aimbot, you don't even have to do anything, really. Maybe you just never runned into it or never noticed.

The main reason I hated MW2 is probably because Ground War is too busy, and with the utterly stupid party chat restrictions it was the only playlist available.

At least in Black Ops I can play Team Deathmatch.

Actually no, Counter Strike is ridiculously overrated. I grew up with it, but it really isn't a very good game, since it pretty much narrows you down to 2-3 weapons/tactics in order actually be able to do anything.

You want universaly balanced and good? Team Fortress 2. I hate that I can't get into it more than I do.

Actually no, Counter Strike is ridiculously overrated. I grew up with it, but it really isn't a very good game, since it pretty much narrows you down to 2-3 weapons/tactics in order actually be able to do anything.

I've seen several matches between professional teams that beg to differ. The weapons of choice are really only a few, but 2-3 tactics? There are far more than that.

You probably want me to show you all those matches but I can't. I've seen them 5 or 6 years ago.

I still think that in this genre Counter Strike is the best game.

The fact that Counter Strike is so simple and it's been going over a decade must say something.

Come on, be honest!

And I'm not speaking out of frustration, it's my fav CoD multiplayer as I absolutely Pwn at it and therefore it's fun for me... but it's just not balanced at all. A disaster, really. Too easy.

If it's the most fun why does it matter? What is this bullshit buzzword of balance???? Drives me mad! How can a game be unbalanced, everyone has the same opportunities to get good at it, you all start out the same. Nobody puts the disk in and is given auto-aim and unlimited rocket launchers. If you get a shit load of killstreaks before anyone else that's just because you were the better player at the beginning of the game.

Did we hate PD's multiplayer because the laptop gun was hard to get past? Because the farsight could 1-hit-kill across the whole map? Because the RCP120 made you invisible then obliterated your opponent in one squeeze of the trigger?

If it's fun, if it's your favourite, you should just say that it's good. Fuck balance.

The reason we didn't have these arguments with things like PD is because it was local.

So when your friend moaned that things were unfair you'd tell him to stop being shit and to play better.

Now days everyone's detached and whining like little bitches.

I've seen several matches between professional teams that beg to differ. The weapons of choice are really only a few, but 2-3 tactics? There are far more than that.

You probably want me to show you all those matches but I can't. I've seen them 5 or 6 years ago.

I still think that in this genre Counter Strike is the best game.

Professional teams, really? oO

I'm discussing mass appeal and you answer with professional teams... I (and 98% of every user base) have no intention of going pro or playing pro level and even IF I did want to become part of that farce (and I watched many a pro tournament in my day), my point ultimately still stands, for any given map, there's 2, at most 3 behavious patterns being repeated on an endless loop even by top pros!

I'm not saying I don't absolutely love the game, because I most certainly do, but you people must be completely blinded by your affection if you can't see the glaring flaws it has. It was an important milestone, but it's been topped a long time ago.

Anyway, CoD on Pure > Counter Strike, as it's essentially the same... with a more complete arsenal/game engine.

If it's the most fun why does it matter? What is this bullshit buzzword of balance???? Drives me mad! How can a game be unbalanced, everyone has the same opportunities to get good at it, you all start out the same. Nobody puts the disk in and is given auto-aim and unlimited rocket launchers. If you get a shit load of killstreaks before anyone else that's just because you were the better player at the beginning of the game.

Did we hate PD's multiplayer because the laptop gun was hard to get past? Because the farsight could 1-hit-kill across the whole map? Because the RCP120 made you invisible then obliterated your opponent in one squeeze of the trigger?

If it's fun, if it's your favourite, you should just say that it's good. Fuck balance.

Fuck balance? What? It's a massive competitive multiplayer game and you're seriously saying fuck balance? oO

It's not good. It's awfull. I like it, but it sucks. Very different things. And by unbalanced I mean once you reach a certain number of kills (5), you're pretty much guaranteed 15 more free kills. That's not a good thing, and I really don't care wether or not anyone can do it, that's a broken system, period. The fact that 85% of the player base plays "dirty" (abusing any of the multiple exploits and gimmicks) just to be able to complete speaks for itself, as does the fact that 2 minutes into any team game the sky is full and never ceases to be so till the game ends. I remember when the game came out and people were still figuring things out... the game was actually enjoyable and varied, as opposed to now where everyone is always following the same 3 out of 100 possible setups.

I play it without killstreak rewards/stopping power/grenade launchers/quickscoping... or anything that might put me at advantage really. The only reason I'm able to enjoy it is precisely because I play outside the box. Every single class I use has cold blooded pro so I'm immune to killstreak rewards (which in some cases is unfortunate, as I really do enjoy the existance of some killstreaks, just not the constant chaos of MW2). I don't use final stand/painkiller/martyrdom... basically, I enjoy the game for it's skill enhancing perks such as sleight of hand and marathon, as opposed to the perks that take away the skill factor. I play it my way and because I actually forced myself to learn how to play the game properly I am able to outperform players that have an edge over me. But if I do decide to use killstreaks/stopping power/quickscoping for a short stint I get ridiculously OTT scores and K/D ratios. I mean, getting 32-4 on a TDM where I actually only killed 8 people is a completely ridiculous and broken system! And the fact that people go into objective type games to excercise this mentality (because there's no score/kill cap) absolutely ruins the game, as nobody's playing for objectives and the team(people who want to actually play the game) who wins is usually ridiculously outscored in every way by the losing team, because everybody's playing for killstreaks. And I love the fact people can't play without stopping power, lol. How hard is it to aim properly?

It's an infested game, really.

In Black Ops, most of this is gone. People are actually playing the game itself and everybody is on is even, regardless of which weapons/perks/killstreaks they choose. You have to actually kill 9 people yourself to get a 9 killstreak reward! There are still some issues to resolve and things that shouldn't be in the game (final stand, mainly). Sniping is finally restricted to it's own playing style as you can no longer run around with a sniper and be at equal odds (and I must say, personally it's finally enjoyable to use a sniper properly again... but that's just me, as I didn't like the feel of sniping in MW2, except for the Intervention, even though there was nothing wrong with it).

The playlists are better and more efficient, and you even have zombie mode as an extra!

Yeah, we got some useless weapons with Blops (where in mw2 they were all usefull), but there are still loads of great weapons and variety... and it might not look as pretty, but it's more than satisfactory!

Are you seriously comparing Perfect Dark to Call Of Duty? The whole scope of the CoD IS the competitive multiplayer! They spend 70% of development perfecting it. PD's multiplayer is... filler, to be honest, completely secondary to the single player.

To be completely honest, I personally think the whole of PD is a bad joke. I don't really understand how it ever got the praise it did, since it was essentially a sci-fi twist on the Goldeneye engine with a very poor story. It was decent considering it was a console FPS, but with games like System Shock 2 on the market for a year when PD came out, I really do not understand why on earth it got that much acclaim. But I know I'm in the minority here, and that's not even the point at hand, so I'll abandon this hopeless cause (for now).

Anyway, balance is essential! Have you ever seen anyone complaining about Street Fighter 3rd Strike/Smash Bros/Team Fortress 2/CoD4?

Why do you think they get to be top dog for so long? If nobody has an edge on anybody except for skill, it makes the game more enjoyable for everyone, both the pros and the noobs!

Sign in to follow this