NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
sagat

Do you worry about Nintendo's future?

We all knew the Wii effect would not last forever and it is showing this year with the Wii losing money and Nintendo losing money as well. The 3DS will be a success so i won't worry about that. Analysts have said gaming on smartphones and tablets is eating into Nintendo's profits. I don't buy into all that.

Unlike the Sony and MS, Nintendo really needs a replacement for the Wii ASAP for this year or the next. It should match or be better than the PS3. They should follow Sony's example and carry on selling the Wii and squeeze every juice they can from the system. If they play their cards right, they should be able to sell the Wii for ten years alongside the new system (it will be a cashcow for them - PS2 is still bee sold today)

I think they can turn it around. The answer might not be just hardcore games (they have tried that and sadly failed) but

Even though the Wii's sales are declining, they're still making the most money out of the consoles and the Wii isn't even selling that badly, it's just not selling ridiculously.

The fact is, they're making money and that's all that matters to business

The successor to the Wii will happen when it happens.

Too much speculation will give you a tumor.

Too much speculation will give you a tumor.

Constant bad headaches, then a tumor.

Let's allow the 3D effects from the NINTENDO 3DS to provide the headaches & tumors for now, eh?...

I don't worry about how much success they may or not have in the future. I am, however, concerned that they may never scale the same heights they once did.

Constant bad headaches, then a tumor.

Let's allow the 3D effects from the NINTENDO 3DS to provide the headaches & tumors for now, eh?...

But don't worry. Having sex on a motorbike gets rid of headaches.*

But yes, I can't say I have any worries about Nintendo's future, other than what they plan to do for their 125th birthday in 2014.

*brownie points for the reference spot.

I'm more worried about Nintendo's present than their future. The amount of money the Wii must've given them will surely see them through any tough times should they experience any.

But for right now, the majority of games being brought out on the Wii are casual, party games. There are hardly any games on the Wii I'm interested in other than Nintendo's own franchises. I've barely played on the Wii since the first year I got it. When it came out I was all about ExciteTrucks, Twilight Princess, Mario Strikers... a few more games breathed some more life into it - Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, MarioKart, Smash Bros. Nintendo games have always been my reason for sticking with the company because they are just better than any other games but I still want some decent 3rd party software.

A lot of people say the Gamecube had bad 3rd party support and maybe they're right... but I can think of loads of 3rd party games I played and loved on the gamecube but barely any on the wii. It's the main reason why I bought a 360. I've played on the xbox360 so much more than the Wii.

I'll probably always get Nintendo consoles just for the main franchises that I can't go without - Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc. However, in many ways Nintendo are still a generation behind. Online is a joke compared to 360 or even PS3 now and credible 3rd party games are a lot rarer on the Wii than any of it's predecessors or rivals. For their next console I really want to see proper online functionality as seen on the 360 and decent 3rd party games (though I know that's mainly the fault of lazy developers or w/e).

I thought I was finishing but I just thought of this last point. When the Wii came out I thought the controls were going to be 1:1 from the start and possibly this is why it hasn't done so well with the fps market. I was expecting the motion controls to make me want to buy multiformat games on the Wii rather than anything else but that's just not the case. The controls are more annoying than intuitive... The only game that has used the motion controls really well (in my opinion) is Metroid Prime 3. The controls were that good that I actually bought the trilogy on the Wii just to play Prime 1 & 2 with the wiimote. Any other game on the Wii may as well just use the control pad because the motion controls barely made a difference.

tl:dr wii games suck.

Sorry for this rambling rant. I do this sometimes.

They just need to take a look back at why they were the market leaders in the early 90s.

All they need to do is bring out a new console in the next year or two that is powerful, HD compatible, has a dvd player and which has hardcore games that don't require motion control at all.

But even so, Nintendo won't die anytime soon. The 3DS will sell well, as i'm sure their next home console will and if anything people always go to Nintendo for their great first party games.

All this shit stirring that websites are doing about Nintendo dying and Apple making handheld consoles obsolete is bullshit.

Nintendo's future is fine. The 3DS will sell millions over the first few weeks with Layton & Nintendogs as launch titles.

Regarding the successor to the Wii, Nintendo had to take a massive risk and try something completely different to make their brand stand out again and they succeeded.

The Wii brand name is equal to the Playstation & Xbox brands now, so it won't be dropped. So WiiHD or Wii2, or something similar.

Now they are a force in the home console market again, they won't be taking as big a risk as they did with the Wii. I expect PS3 quality graphics at least, an advanced CCP & wiimoteplus, free limited online play and full subscription online play (no friend codes) with 120GB Harddrive. There won't be an inbuilt BluRay / DVD player.

Microsoft & Playstation won't be announcing their next home consoles for a couple of years at least. Move & Kinect have seen to that.

Eh, Nintendo's doing fine. If they still haven't gone out of business after all of the bad decisions they've made through the years, we're never getting rid of them.

But don't worry. Having sex on a motorbike gets rid of headaches.*

That's a lie. It only cures ice-cream headaches. :blank:

You should watch Community, by the way. It's quickly become my favorite NBC comedy. :smile:

You should watch Community, by the way. It's quickly become my favorite NBC comedy. :smile:

Seconded..

I'm more worried about Nintendo's present than their future. The amount of money the Wii must've given them will surely see them through any tough times should they experience any.

But for right now, the majority of games being brought out on the Wii are casual, party games. There are hardly any games on the Wii I'm interested in other than Nintendo's own franchises. I've barely played on the Wii since the first year I got it. When it came out I was all about ExciteTrucks, Twilight Princess, Mario Strikers... a few more games breathed some more life into it - Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, MarioKart, Smash Bros. Nintendo games have always been my reason for sticking with the company because they are just better than any other games but I still want some decent 3rd party software.

A lot of people say the Gamecube had bad 3rd party support and maybe they're right... but I can think of loads of 3rd party games I played and loved on the gamecube but barely any on the wii. It's the main reason why I bought a 360. I've played on the xbox360 so much more than the Wii.

I'll probably always get Nintendo consoles just for the main franchises that I can't go without - Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc. However, in many ways Nintendo are still a generation behind. Online is a joke compared to 360 or even PS3 now and credible 3rd party games are a lot rarer on the Wii than any of it's predecessors or rivals. For their next console I really want to see proper online functionality as seen on the 360 and decent 3rd party games (though I know that's mainly the fault of lazy developers or w/e).

I thought I was finishing but I just thought of this last point. When the Wii came out I thought the controls were going to be 1:1 from the start and possibly this is why it hasn't done so well with the fps market. I was expecting the motion controls to make me want to buy multiformat games on the Wii rather than anything else but that's just not the case. The controls are more annoying than intuitive... The only game that has used the motion controls really well (in my opinion) is Metroid Prime 3. The controls were that good that I actually bought the trilogy on the Wii just to play Prime 1 & 2 with the wiimote. Any other game on the Wii may as well just use the control pad because the motion controls barely made a difference.

tl:dr wii games suck.

Sorry for this rambling rant. I do this sometimes.

Seriously, there are plenty of great third party games for the Wii. In fact, it is absolutely criminal at how under exposed these games have been.

Here is a list of some of the quality third party games on the system:

Little Kings Story

Dead Space: Extraction

Muramasa

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

No More Heroes 1 & 2

de Blob

Zack and Wiki

Epic Mickey

House of the Dead 2 & 3, Overkill

Red Steel 2

Modern Warfare Reflex

Medal of Honour 2: Heroes

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition

The Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles

Fragile Dreams

Okami

Mercury Meltdown Revolution

Eledees

Cursed Mountain

Deadly Creatures

Monster Hunter Tri

Rune Factory Frontier

Klonoa

Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Boom Blox Bash Party

Geometry Wars Galaxy

Tiger Woods PGA Tour

EA Grand Slam Tennis

Blast Works

Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Goldeneye 007

The Pro Evo games

The bolded games are the ones that I own. Which shows me how many awesome games I have yet to play, out of those that I can think of.

The genre that I don't think we've seen enough of on the Wii is probably the racing genre. Not enough games or quality in this area. However, in everything else, there is a great selection of games for the system. There are probably between 5-10 Wii owners on this board who I think know the system inside out, and these are also the gamers who probably have truely loved the system. Basically, you get out what you put in. Don't let all the trashy third party games cloud your vision.

As for the topic at hand, I'm not really all that worried. The only thing that does slightly bother me is that Nintendo don't fully make the best out of the opportunities that do arise. For example, they've not made the use of MotionPlus or the WiiConnect24 service. I'd like them to take one idea and actually go all out on that idea.

Edit: Shit, forgot Goldeneye off the list.

Edit 2: Also, the Pro Evo games on the Wii, which probably trounce what the other systems have to offer. Great use of the control system.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I've said it before, and will say it again: The Wii has sold over 85 million units in a record time. It also has only had one significant price drop which was only in one territory. Both the PS3 and the XBOX360 have kept afloat by aggressively slashing prices to boost demand. This has led to every Wii being a profitable transaction, the same can't be said for PS3 and 360 sales.

Thus Nintendo is doing fine. What is apparent though is that whilst the Wii is still selling, it isn't selling as fast and I believe it is rapidly reaching market saturation point at its current price. In other words, the Wii's problem is that it needs to be priced to reflect the fact it was released at the end of 2006 and we're now in 2011! Five years down the line you would expect it to be £125, maybe less. Instead it's still £175!

I know it now comes with an extra game, but consumers pay far more interest in the bottom line than anything else as essentially regardless of how good a deal something is, if the price point is still percieved as a bit too much people will ignore it.

I would like to see Nintendo cut prices by a significant margin. The PS3 and 360 have been outselling the Wii for the last 3 weeks (not long really) and I don't want to see that continuing!

I don't worry about how much success they may or not have in the future. I am, however, concerned that they may never scale the same heights they once did.

Now comments that are bold here give me a massive tumor. u on crack dude.

Nintendo are more awesome then they were 7 years ago, back then I was starting to lose faith in all gaming, was becoming the same old shit. Nintendo once again dragged me back into gaming with games that have left me speechless, I am still trying to scratch my head on on all the hate Nintendo gets at times. I think people have been wearing the HD/Nostalgia goggles, that they forgot that gaming has always been about fresh new gameplay. *shrugs*

Edited by killer kirby

I think people have been wearing the HD/Nostalgia goggles, that they forgot that gaming has always been about fresh new gameplay. *shrugs*

Yep, I put on my "Nostalgia" goggles and I remember when Nintendo games had good controls and up-to-date graphics. :heh:

I can't say I lost any sleep over it no :P

but seriously yes I do. Sales are good but public opinion is pretty low on them.

Yes Nintendo are getting more popular than ever and yes they are making more money than ever probably so my answer the question is: NO.

What I do worry about it Nintendo creating a system that provides me with games that I want to play, pitched to me as a customer, delivering new gameplay experiences. And as far as their console goes, as opposed to their handheld, I'm out already.

Nintendo are more awesome then they were 7 years ago, back then I was starting to lose faith in all gaming, was becoming the same old shit. Nintendo once again dragged me back into gaming with games that have left me speechless, I am still trying to scratch my head on on all the hate Nintendo gets at times. I think people have been wearing the HD/Nostalgia goggles, that they forgot that gaming has always been about fresh new gameplay. *shrugs*

This post is awesome! You summed it up perfectly. The games Nintendo have produced this generation have been mind blowing.

Sign in to follow this