NEurope
Pit-Jr

The Legend of Zelda turns 25

Link's Awakening was a portable dream world I could escape to.

Spirit Tracks had, for the first time, a 3D overworld comparable to the console games.

Firstly yes Link's Awakening is truly dreamy. Secondly I don't think the overworld in spirit tracks can be compared to the console at all...it's so sparse and uninteresting. None of the character or wonder of OoT's hyrule field at all. I think part of Oot's amazing overworld came from the fact that when you first left the forest and stepped out on the field it seemed like the biggest space ever and there was a genuine sense of wow. By the time your an adult and galloping around on epona you have truly conquered the world and know it inside out.

I've never understood the hype with Link's Awakening. But then again I haven't played it since the DX version came out but can't remember it being that good, I'm sure it was though :)

Glad to see Spirit Tracks getting some love. For me Phantom Hourglass is the weakest Zelda out there (I'm not counting Four Swords or FSA), but I adored Spirit Tracks which was superior in every way. The ending sequence and boss battles were comparable to console Zelda's in terms of a sense of scale and epic...ness.

I said it in the thread when I finished it was very underwhelmed by the ending of Spirit Tracks, the fight atop the train could have been so much more and felt so much better than a bizarre panel shifting trek with some phantom mice.

How can anyone be underwhelmed by the final stages/ending of Spirit Tracks!? I'm very surprised to hear that :wtf::wtf::o

How can anyone be underwhelmed by the final stages/ending of Spirit Tracks!? I'm very surprised to hear that :wtf::wtf::o

I've said it all along honestly...Just hated the train ride bit and found that repelling the boulders bit so Zelda could charge up so tedious, the only redeeming bit was the final final bit but by the time I go there the rest of it had made me feel very blah.

I've never understood the hype with Link's Awakening. But then again I haven't played it since the DX version came out but can't remember it being that good, I'm sure it was though :)

It was at the time, but I loved the greyscale original and didn't really enjoy DX by the time I got to play it either. I'm convinced both LttP and Link's Awakening are "You had to be there at the time" games.

Firstly yes Link's Awakening is truly dreamy. Secondly I don't think the overworld in spirit tracks can be compared to the console at all...it's so sparse and uninteresting.

It's not up there with the best, I just meant it's getting there. After all, Phantom Hourglass was the first handheld Zelda with 3D graphics, and yet I thought the overworld was totally uninspiring compared to Wind Waker. With that in mind, I was surprised at how "full" ST's overworld was. OK, it's definitely not as good as OOT/MM/WW, but I was very impressed with how much the forest felt like a forest, the mountain felt like a mountain... despite the technical limitations.

I've said it all along honestly...Just hated the train ride bit and found that repelling the boulders bit so Zelda could charge up so tedious, the only redeeming bit was the final final bit but by the time I go there the rest of it had made me feel very blah.

Sort of agree actually. I disliked the "Pac Man" bit, thought the rest were OK and really only liked the very final bit that you mentioned.

PS - My "to complete" list is this:

Zelda II

Oracle of Ages

Oracle of Seasons

Phantom Hourglass was the only Zelda I gave up on half way through. The thought of going back to that temple again kept me up at night. Unfortunately this put me off buying Spirit Tracks, although I've heard it's better. I guess I was annoyed that they probably weren't going to make another 2D game (in my opinion the 2D ones are better than the 3D ones).

Currently playing through A Link To The Past at the moment.

A post by someone else in another thread made me remember an awesome Zelda game: Four Swords Adventures.

Due to the requirements for multiplayer, I only played singleplayer. However, I still thought it was brilliant. Why can't this be done again with the big addition of online gaming (voice that would be needed, obviously)?

FSA never felt like a proper Zelda game to me, although to be fair it's the only Zelda game I've not played so can't judge, but the format just doesn't feel right.

Four Swords Adventures was... weird. It was entertaining, but not much of a Zelda game. At some point in the future, when I have the money and willing friends, I'm going to buy a few GBAs and link cables so I can finally play the game in multiplayer.

It really is too bad Nintendo didn't make this game without the NGC+GBA connection. :indeed:

It was at the time, but I loved the greyscale original and didn't really enjoy DX by the time I got to play it either. I'm convinced both LttP and Link's Awakening are "You had to be there at the time" games

Yeah I do think you are right there. It was a huge game for a handheld and was impressive for that alone at the time. I think at the time I was just amazed that Link's Awakening had the whole is it dream or not vibe? Now I've grown up and witnessed a ton of other tv shows/books/films/games that use that deceit but at the time as a 9/10 year old I was amazed by it. Interestingly the japanese title translates to "the dreamed up island" or something much less ambiguous title.

I never played the DX version always think of picking it up and never get round to it.

Just to pitch in about four swords as well...played the GBA version that came with Lttp quite a bit with brother and friends, I think sure its a very different avenue for the series but one thats not been explored fully yet, how about a 3DS version?

Man playing Minish Cap really makes me hanker for a sprite based Zelda game.

This wasn't posted, for shame..an awesome Fanart pic for the 25th

16868303.jpg

and for favorites, MM followed veeeerrry closely by Wind Waker, loved WW, but MM was just amazing

Edited by arnold

That reminds me...I never actually bothered to beat the final boss.

That reminds me...I never actually bothered to beat the final boss.

Don't bother!

Also whilst we are all here, lest we forget there are shit Zelda games:

FSA never felt like a proper Zelda game to me, although to be fair it's the only Zelda game I've not played so can't judge, but the format just doesn't feel right.

It's not really a proper Zelda, but it is fantastic. I only played it single-player too, but it gave me such a good vibe - like Link to the Past taken to the max, with loads of sprite-scaling, inventive maps and brilliant music. In all honesty, because it achieved what it intended so well, I have much more positive views on it than some of the "normal" Zeldas.

I for one am very grateful for the existance of the CD-I games. Without them, we never would have gotten the amazing Youtube Poops

That fan-art is epic, although I think the artstyle doesn't work on every character. Especially the triforce trio in the spotlight look like a 70's movieposter like the Star Wars and Indiana Jones ones ;). Lovely nonetheless, though I wish there was a horizontal version for use as a wallpaper ;). What's / Who's the source?

As much as I love Minish Cap, I dislike the somewhat obtuse nature of some stuff you have to do between dungeons, its starting to do my head in!

Minish Cap is, above all others, the one I didn't "get" at all. Some Zeldas are outdated, some are excellent, some were disappointing, but not Minish Cap. I have no negative feelings towards it at all, it just didn't feel like a Zelda.

It does and it doesn't has the usual music and location and thats it. All this time I'm playing keep thinking I would rather be going through and actually finishing Lttp

Another take on that artwork:

Look at this piece of crap. This poor excuse for art is an insult to the 25th anniversary of Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series. The whole long scroll of series characters thing is so overdone, and the renditions of each character range from blah to barely iffy anyway. I can barely tell what they're supposed to be. I mean, I've seen little kids do better art with finger paints.

Holy sh*t! Who did this?! All we got is a link. If you've got any details on this art or its artist, please send it along to our tips line at [email protected]. We want to give this amazing art proper credit. Seriously, this has to be some of the best game art I've ever seen, and I've seen lots.

http://www.destructoid.com/totally-crap-embarrassing-zelda-25th-anniversary-art-194754.phtml

EDIT:

LOVE THIS:

Just for the Breakfast Club riff alone.

Edited by flameboy

LOVE THIS:

Just for the Breakfast Club riff alone.

That is actually awesome

zeldaofficial25thannive.jpg

So, what do people think Nintendo are planning for the 25th Anniversary? Reggie said something along the lines of 'Miyamoto himself has been working on it', which seems to suggest it's not just another retro compilation like the Mario one. Possibilities:

- A remake of an old Zelda (huge project and unlikely with OOT 3D and Skyward Sword out in the same year?)

- A new 2D Zelda game (again, big project and quite a congested calendar)

err, and that's all I can think of, neither of which are likely.

Probably best not to get hopes up too high, but any suggestions what it might be? I guess Zelda I, II and ALTTP, a music CD a booklet, AND a little something extra that's worthy of Miyamoto's attention is the most likely. They can't be seen to be showing too much preferential treatment to Zelda, and not Mario I suppose.

Well we've already had this:

600full-the-legend-of-zelda%3A-collector%27s-edition-screenshot.jpg

(which I have :D)

Not really sure what it could be, when are they announcing it?