NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raining_again

The Gym

Hmmm, oats you say? I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Also read quinoa is really good. Like brown rice but really high in protein, too.

I've never understood why everyone who lifts a few dumbbells each week feels the need to take protein shakes.

People who take protein shakes tend to do more than just lift a few dumbbells each week.

To be fair, I don't see why it's such a bad thing. As long as you do the exercise to make it worthwhile, they're just a good way to put on weight, cheap, easy, no real downsides. Amirite?

Plus it helps recovery. If you're serious about the gym you'd be silly not to get protein shakes (unless you can get the sufficient amount of protein into your diet which is expensive). You're just being inefficient otherwise.

Just came back from a 45 minute cycling session. It was freezing outside but it was awesome.

So refreshing.

I've never understood why everyone who lifts a few dumbbells each week feels the need to take protein shakes.

It depends what you mean by a few dumbells. If you're literally only doing something like 3 sets of bicep curls every now and again, then you're probably not going to get an awful lot out of it anyway, with or without shakes.

Daft is pretty much right in both of his posts on this. Its more cost effective to get tubs of protein shakes (or packets, whatever really) than it is to buy fuck loads of meat, eggs, fish, etc. Remember, a lot of this is about food and diet, probably just as much as it is about the actual exercising itself. Although, you need to have a good diet as well as the protein shakes. Lifting and then having the shakes without eating well won't do you good anyway.

Cheers for the link earlier, Daft. Will try that out when I get back.

I did a bit more running today, getting the most out of having a treadmill nearby before I return to the UK.

Protein shakes are just easier for people who don't like consuming so much meat/eggs.

They are good for both weights and cardio, they help you go on further and they definitely help with muscle recovery.

If you are doing a few presses at home its not worth it, for the amount of calories, but you'll find most of the people here on protein shakes are actually members and regular attenders of a gym =P Its not worth spending the money if you don't use it properly, and all of us know that!

For the people trying to lose weight I found an interesting resource: http://www.dukandiet.co.uk

Check the "True Weight" test. Mine is 13 stone 7, which puts me at an "overweight" BMI of 27!!! Hard to believe! Good for people who aren't sure if their bmi is an accurate representation of their body.

Edited by Raining_again

Who actually does aerobic exercises for burning calories? The whole reason I do them is to develop the muscles and make them stronger and progress can be noticed very quickly. Just doing 3 x 30 reps of Press Ups every other day for the past few months has really toned up my arms.

Who actually does aerobic exercises for burning calories? The whole reason I do them is to develop the muscles and make them stronger and progress can be noticed very quickly. Just doing 3 x 30 reps of Press Ups every other day for the past few months has really toned up my arms.

I do it for both burning calories! Gaining stamina, strength & good muscle tone is a bonus... the more muscle you have the easier it is for your body to burn moarrrr!

For me it's all about free weights, when building muscle, you of course do stretches and then go and get warmed up on the treddie or the bike machine whatever gets your body warm. then when when using weights, I always do 10 reps of 65% of the weight I'll do after finishing the one I am using. and the main weight I just push myself extremely hard and try to do 7 reps. Once there I go up a weight while uping my warmup set as well.

This method has made it easier for me to be able to get to weight goal I am aiming for. Plus is showing plenty of tone in my body :D

Cheers for the link earlier, Daft. Will try that out when I get back.

Let me know how it goes and what you do exactly. I only really do the modified hammer jack. I supersetted that with bent-over rows today. Was good. Would like to know what other people think of the other similar exercises.

I must ask all of you people who are trying to lose weight (Too lazy to get the other thread) How is that coming along? Is it getting lower every week?

I must ask all of you people who are trying to lose weight (Too lazy to get the other thread) How is that coming along? Is it getting lower every week?

Yes, I lose about 3 pounds every week (about 45 pounds in total so far).

Yep, lost 5.5lbs over about 3 months (christmas and january) and 3lbs last week, 4lbs the week before.

I'm lighter than I've been for at least year, i've maintained since I started at the gym... just didn't really take a huge effort to my food intake until recently =P

New dress size ftw!!!

I've ordered a VLCD meal replacement called Exante. Not doing a full meal replacement system, adding a meal on as well given my exercise habits and additional weight (as per their advice) Hopefully the ketosis will help my weight go a bit faster.

I have a lot of problems with weight gain/extreme hunger thanks to certain medications and I'm in dire need of shifting a LOT of weight to aid my exercising. I'm gonna completely fuck up my joints the way i'm going :(

Edited by Raining_again

Benching 90kg now fuck yeah!

and my goooooooood! Dead lifts, are my true love now, they are another blessing from God I swear :D

Oh and found this on the /fit/ board, an achievement list that has more benefits then getting points or trophies :D

1297014495468.png

Ok guys time to complete that list xD

Time for me to get back to the Gym; been too lazy over the past six months. I normally go to the Gym in the Winter and do outdoor stuff in the summer but this time I didn't sign up due to sheer lazyness/dislike of the Gym (it really ain't my cup of tea, but I don't mind if I'm there at the same time as some mates). I can feel it now. I've not really gained any weight, but my stamina is way down. I'm not happy with that at all so I'm going to hit the Gym over the Summer as well as doing the outdoor stuff in the hope that I can recover quickly. Also got my eye on a new road bike after my last one got written off, just got to wait until pay day.

GYM-THREAD-Y-U-NO-ON-FIRST-PAGE.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Y-U-NO

I'm trying something a bit different now. I'm basically trying to do as little different types of exercises possible, but going for higher weight than I have been.

I feel I may have been overtraining somewhat, so trying something a bit different. Especially as I feel I've hit a wall, so trying to change it up.

So, today, I just did:

Incline Presses

Pec Flys

Some Tricep Pushdowns

Dips

Even then, I only did 2 sets on the dips. Trying to make the workout as compact as possible, but I was knackered after the flys and presses. Barely had the energy for the pushdowns.

That was it. I'm up to 18kg free weights on the pec flys. I'm struggling with the presses, but managed to do some sets with 26 and 28kg dumbells.

I finally figured out how Daft has got such super powers from gym...DAFT PUNK!!! I listened to Daft Punk at the gym the whole day. I feel like I jizzed in my pants like 5 times, shit is intense when in gym!!!

That is all.

I finally figured out how Daft has got such super powers from gym...DAFT PUNK!!! I listened to Daft Punk at the gym the whole day. I feel like I jizzed in my pants like 5 times, shit is intense when in gym!!!

That is all.

made me buy an album of theirs after hearing it in the gym!!!

Today I had a trx suspension session... boy my arms hurt XD

So, in the Summer, I'm going to have spare time/ when I start work I plan to join the gym and make it a frequentish thing.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best sort of exercises to start? I don't want to be jumping in at the deep end and thinking, I'll do a massive 10 mile run etc.

I have been to the gym before but it wasn't never a frequent nor methodical program I adhered to when I went back then.

Sign in to follow this