NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Raining_again

The Gym

... because I couldn't find the old one... d'oh

Have you all given up or what?

I had my personal training session yesterday and my ass was well and truly whipped.

Interval training between these:

The TRX, or A frame (as TBL call it) where you basically use all of your weight for exercises, like so:

img_trx_main.jpg

and the big bad KETTLEBELL.

kettlebell-training.gif

Did a 10 minute warm up on the crosstrainer beforehand, then the kettlebell/trx intervals for 30 minutes = 750 calories... Insanity.

I hurt like a sinner that's for sure :(

I don't know if you have it at your gym, but my hour routine is

20 minutes on the treadmill (120 calories, 50 meters climbed, 2.21 miles walked)

Chest Press

Shoulder Press

Seated Row

Triceps extension

Double Crunch

Back Weights

1:30 minute of the plank

Stretch out

:)

The extension thing you've shown is hard as to work. I don't go near it.

Have you all given up or what?

Nope, I still go 3/4 times a week. Cycle an hour every day, about 70 miles a week. Play two hours of football every Sunday.

I'm starting tango lessons on Tuesday now.

The gym thread is here, btw.

Don't have a regular income right now. Actually I have no income at all meaning I can't join a gym but I'd love to lose some weight and do something for my rather lousy stamina.

Daft you cycle everyday. Would it be enough to cycle to lose weight (of course changing the diet is crucial, too)?

And how do you cycle? Continuously on a high gear, mainly uphill? How should I start?

Help! :D

Nope, I still go 3/4 times a week. Cycle an hour every day, about 70 miles a week. Play two hours of football every Sunday.

I'm starting tango lessons on Tuesday now.

The gym thread is here, btw.

ahh good man daft! Are you managing to keep to your routine well?

I couldn't see it at a glance and search won't let me search for "gym"!!

I dunno if a mod/admin wants to merge this or whatever they see fit? *shrugs*

dr4hkon: cycling is cardio so its more than enough, and cutting out junk should see you to lose weight. You just won't build substantial muscle anywhere except in your legs =P

I gave up due to not wanting to go on my own. I really should but fear going on my own to the gym.

Instead, I took the wuss way out and bought...

slendertone-abs-male-toning-belt-14100357.jpeg

Due to my weak back it's ideal and is a really good starting point. When my evil dermatitis goes I'll also go swimming more to get the core strength kicking in.

Daft you cycle everyday. Would it be enough to cycle to lose weight (of course changing the diet is crucial, too)?

And how do you cycle? Continuously on a high gear, mainly uphill? How should I start?

Help! :D

Well, I'd say getting cycling into your daily routine is the key. I cycle to get everywhere so I don't go out of my way to do it, I need to do it get anywhere.

I have a fixie, so no gears. Which is great for exercise since there are no short cuts. Massive hill? No shifting gears, the only way up is leg power. My legs are pretty damn strong now.

I can't really tell you how to start since it completely depends on where you are and when you're going to do it.

ahh good man daft! Are you managing to keep to your routine well?

I couldn't see it at a glance and search won't let me search for "gym"!!

I dunno if a mod/admin wants to merge this or whatever they see fit? *shrugs*

dr4hkon: cycling is cardio so its more than enough, and cutting out junk should see you to lose weight. You just won't build substantial muscle anywhere except in your legs =P

Yeah, my routine has been pretty set for a year and a half now. It's easy to stick to now.

I searched 'bench press'. :heh:

I gave up due to not wanting to go on my own. I really should but fear going on my own to the gym.

Instead, I took the wuss way out and bought...

slendertone-abs-male-toning-belt-14100357.jpeg

Due to my weak back it's ideal and is a really good starting point. When my evil dermatitis goes I'll also go swimming more to get the core strength kicking in.

They pretty much do nothing. Except not even 'pretty much', they do nothing.

You just won't build substantial muscle anywhere except in your legs =P

That's what I figured :p I'll try to build muscle in some months when I can afford the gym.

Well, I'd say getting cycling into your daily routine is the key.

Well, right now I'm home all the time. Don't really need to get anywhere but I want to cycle almost everyday, preferably in the morning.

I have a fixie, so no gears.

I have a mountain bike, so gears. But I won't use the shortcuts you mentioned. Guess I'll have to figure out a fitting gear.

I can't really tell you how to start since it completely depends on where you are and when you're going to do it.

Guess I'm gonna find out Tuesday morning. Think I'll cycle for at least 45 minutes.

Well, I'd say getting cycling into your daily routine is the key. I cycle to get everywhere so I don't go out of my way to do it, I need to do it get anywhere.

I have a fixie, so no gears. Which is great for exercise since there are no short cuts. Massive hill? No shifting gears, the only way up is leg power. My legs are pretty damn strong now.

Yeah, my routine has been pretty set for a year and a half now. It's easy to stick to now.

I searched 'bench press'. :heh:

They pretty much do nothing. Except not even 'pretty much', they do nothing.

Yep, getting it into a routine is a definite way of keeping it up. Cardio is wonderful for your overall well being and health (even if you can't afford to do weighttraining or whatever) so its the best thing to start on :) I feel a million times better thanks to doing a lot of cardio - my lungs are healthier and I have more energy! Yay!

I also completely agree - those slendertone things are like tens machines, you'd have to have them on 24/7 and they've got very little cardiovascular benefits.

Guess I'm gonna find out Tuesday morning. Think I'll cycle for at least 45 minutes.

It's something you need to find your own take on. A lot of my friends are cyclist and we all cycle in really different ways. Fixed, single speed, geared, routinely, occasionally, bike polo, racing, aggressive, defensive, slow, fast. I don't know anyone who doesn't love it, though.

It's something you need to find your own take on. A lot of my friends are cyclist and we all cycle in really different ways. Fixed, single speed, geared, routinely, occasionally, bike polo, racing, aggressive, defensive, slow, fast. I don't know anyone who doesn't love it, though.

I seem to get outrageously tired out from cycling. I'm fairly in shape but literally, like 10 minutes down to a friends house and I'm knackered. At a guess I'd say that cycling is very heavy a couple of leg muscles which I don't use too much. We're meant to be doing a cycling holiday this summer so I should probs work on that one.

Anyway I:

Swim once a week - feels completely stunning afterwards, plus free use of sauna afterwards. But it's £4 a go. Outrage.

And do weights more or less daily.

I bought some protein shakes the other day, which just feels wrong, although they appear to work quite well on evidence of people I know.

Anyone ever done a triathlon? My friend is trying to persuade me to do one. I'm very tempted. Haven't done much running for years though.

I am bulking a lot now, doing 80kg bench press quite easily now, basically my life revolves around gym, work, school and a bit of night clubbing as well.

I go to gym like 5 times a week, but never have same routine, always different every like 3-4 weeks.

Also to Daft, for a man who does cycling all the time, you must have very thick legs now?

Edited by killer kirby

I've got a real athletic build so while they're pretty thick they don't look overly so. They are pretty defined, too.

I'm currently single speeding on my bike. I'm thinking of flipping the back wheel into fixie mode and yanking the back brake off because it's too easy at the moment. My only hesitation is that with the constant rotation of the pedals I sometimes clip the pavement when squeezing past people who cannot drive and leave little space for me to get by. One of my pedals has has about an inch of metal sheared off it.

I love cycling. :smile:

What's your diet like? I've pretty much stayed a constant weight over the past couple years and I want to bulk up a bit. I'm a bit paranoid about eating too much. Which probably isn't actually an issue but I used to have a bit of chub when I was younger and I'm wary.

Currently I have that Jorden's Country Nut stuff in the morning. A banana before the gym. Walnuts right after the gym. A big sandwich for lunch. I nibble my walnuts for the rest of the day until about 4/5 when I down a crap load of pasta and tuna and then have dinner at about 8, which is usually chicken and rice or similar.

Edited by Daft

I've got a real athletic build so while they're pretty thick they don't look overly so. They are pretty defined, too.

I'm currently single speeding on my bike. I'm thinking of flipping the back wheel into fixie mode and yanking the back brake off because it's too easy at the moment. My only hesitation is that with the constant rotation of the pedals I sometimes clip the pavement when squeezing past people who cannot drive and leave little space for me to get by. One of my pedals has has about an inch of metal sheared off it.

I love cycling. :smile:

What's your diet like? I've pretty much stayed a constant weight over the past couple years and I want to bulk up a bit. I'm a bit paranoid about eating too much. Which probably isn't actually an issue but I used to have a bit of chub when I was younger and I'm wary.

Currently I have that Jorden's Country Nut stuff in the morning. A banana before the gym. Walnuts right after the gym. A big sandwich for lunch. I nibble my walnuts for the rest of the day until about 4/5 when I down a crap load of pasta and tuna and then have dinner at about 8, which is usually chicken and rice or similar.

My diet basically consists of Cornflakes with 2 x brown toast for breakfast, 2 brown bread rolls and 6 Rich - T biscuits for lunch and something like Chicken or Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner. I don't snack at all, that is all I eat.

I'm trying to gain weight. If I ate that I'd collapse by Thursday.

I doubt it. I've got a pretty physical job, must walk about 10 miles a day, I run 15 miles a week and work out on other days and I'm never really tired.

I gym four times a week (as in all weights, no aerobic), cycle at least an hour every day, do parkour and play two hours of football on Sunday. These are all high intensity and are among other things.

What you do is great but it's a different type of exercise to what I do.

I'm not trying to lose weight. I eat more than what you've posted but I've still managed to lose weight over the past few weeks. I'm not tired.

I gym four times a week (as in all weights, no aerobic), cycle at least an hour every day, do parkour and play two hours of football on Sunday. These are all high intensity and are among other things.

What you do is great but it's a different type of exercise to what I do.

I'm not trying to lose weight. I eat more than what you've posted but I've still managed to lose weight over the past few weeks. I'm not tired.

I can't say i've ever done parkour, so you've got me there but cycling is pretty similar to running in what muscles your taxing. I also play football on Tuesdays and Sundays. I don't really lift weights, i'm more into doing reps of Press-ups, Sit-ups, abdominal curls, etc.

I've cut out eating chocolate and fizzy drinks and all that jazz and I haven't really missed it at all and looking back over the past months, all that running in the howling rain has really payed off.

I went to the gym today woohoo. Still aching a lot (my legs are cramping any time I use my calf muscles!) so I just did a small workout 15 minutes each of cardio and weights..

I'm onto 4kg dumbells, from 3kg (thanks to the 8kg kettlebell training!). When I started 2kg weights were TOUGH. I'm achieving! woohoo! I saw a girl using the 1kg weights and I wondered if she was even getting a workout at all =P (doing the same typical weight workouts as I was!)

I'm finding everything SO much easier than when I began in July. I can maintain a hell of a lot longer on cardio based workouts. When I started I jumped on the crosstrainer and I could barely maintain enough momentum (about 4.5kmph) to keep the machine on, for 1 single minute. Now I'm averaging a 1km in 6!! I can do 25 minutes of around that speed as a warm up =P

Raineeeng, amateur mistake. New gym thread, pfft. ;)

I looove the gym. Thats my escape. When I'm there, I don't really think of anything else.

I'm slowly introducing more cardio into my workout. I'm usually on my feet all day at work, but aside from that and some jogging every now and again, I don't have many opportunities to cycle about and stuff. I drive to work and I walk to town. I aim to do about 20/30 mins of cardio when I'm there, which is a combination of cycling, running, cross trainer at different speeds. Interval training me do.

At the moment I'm really trying to focus on improving my shoulders and my chest a bit more. Everything seems to be roughly in proportion at the moment, but I'm upping my protein intake and trying to eat a lot better. Without a good diet, it doesn't really matter how much you're lifting and stuff. Luckily I can get some good food at work, some carbs and a looot of tuna and salmon and some chicken.

Shoulders is a tricky one, though. I managed 22 and 24kg dumbells when pressing the other day, but I want to hit the next level. Isn't easy. Supersets for shoulders fucking kills me, even with smaller weights. I mean, physically kills me. I feel like I'm going to pop.

As I speak, Ine is on her treadmill. Work eet.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I can't say i've ever done parkour, so you've got me there but cycling is pretty similar to running in what muscles your taxing. I also play football on Tuesdays and Sundays. I don't really lift weights, i'm more into doing reps of Press-ups, Sit-ups, abdominal curls, etc.

The cycling I do isn't really similar. I effectively do sprints on my bike - bomb it as hard as I can until a traffic light, 10-20 second rest, off again - all without gears. Also, lifting weights is a lot more effective at burning calories than aerobic exercise. It also raises your metabolism for longer. Seriously, if you want to lose weight, weights is where it is at.

When I do exercise I pretty much push myself as hard as I can.

Shoulders is a tricky one, though. I managed 22 and 24kg dumbells when pressing the other day, but I want to hit the next level. Isn't easy. Supersets for shoulders fucking kills me, even with smaller weights. I mean, physically kills me. I feel like I'm going to pop.

As I speak, Ine is on her treadmill. Work eet.

Barbell corner press (The Modified Hammer Jammer). Amazing. Do it. Love it.

Edited by Daft

The cycling I do isn't really similar. I effectively do sprints on my bike - bomb it as hard as I can until a traffic light, 10-20 second rest, off again. Also, lifting weights is a lot more effective at burning calories than aerobic exercise. It also raises your metabolism for longer. Seriously, if you want to lose weight, weights is where it is at.

When I do exercise I pretty much push myself as hard as I can.

Yeah, you do burn a lot more calories when you do cardio after weightlifting. You don't have to lift insanely heavy either, just a good amount to help.

and the cardio is a vital part of the workout to improve general fitness & ability, lung & heart function.

lol flinkeh, i'm not an amateur! You cheeky biatch! :P I thought the whole point of the "no more huge threads" was to keep things fresh. I couldn't see it in the last 5 pages therefore n00 thread! :) If a mod wants to merge I'll take it on board for next time =P

First of all I have a protien shake (up to you on what type) and have oats, seriously, oats are a meal that are made from the Gods themselves. and a coffee if the day is quite cold.

Pre-workout I have about 5 eggs with a can of tuna in it.

After workout I have a protien shake. Then when I get home I have myself some brown rice with kangaroo meat.

Then dinner doesn't really matter me, as long as it's high in protien like chicken and have lots of veggies.

Then I have a some blocked cheese 20 min before going to bed.

But that's my usual and favorite, it can change from time to time, but not the protien shake or the oats, they are now a needed thing for my body.

Sign in to follow this