NEurope
jayseven

Adulthood Is...

It's more than simply having a beard. I know that much.

I'm repressing a massive self-defensive rant that is pretty much an outlash at my own lack of job.

Adulthood means being able to manage both responsibilities and yourself - financially, security-ily, healthily. Yet I am unable to prove to the world that I am an adult (aside from the beard, yet still some idiots ask me for ID) without a job.

Shit, who am I kidding? I'm not applying for every job under the sun. But I thought adults were meant to have standards?

That's the brick. The derogatory, degrading, depressing hole in the wall that leers at me and says cruel things.

FUCK THAT SHIT I CAN DO BETTER. Which is why I aim a little higher. Time will come.

Yeah sorry some of that self-pity wore its way through.

Do you consider yourself an adult? Even if you are Job McBeardyface?

Do you consider yourself an adult?

Hell no. I hope I'll never be an adult. :D

I'll start an apprenticeship as an air traffic controller (said that a lot in the past two weeks) and hopefully I'll be a licensed one in approximately 3 years, have a nice place and maybe be with 'the one' but I'm never gonna give up the child in me.

I have a job, but I hate it. I have a beard... sometimes. I just get lazy and can't be bothered to shave... Anyway, I don't see myself as an adult yet. At the moment my financial situation isn't great.

My goals for this year are: get a real job, learn to drive, get own place, get own car, win.

Hopefully I'll manage at least one of those before 2012.

I consider myself an adult. Not a very independent one I'll admit (yet) but have counted myself among the adult population since the age of 17 when I decided "good" and "evil" were just simplistic descriptors for a world we have the power to improve ourselves, and subsequently finally abandoned the last shreds I still held of religion, god and the existence of an afterlife.

Really though, "adulthood" is a vague and indistinct phrase that we all apply your own meaning and criteria to. It's not worth worrying too much about. Interesting thread though!

I consider adulthood to be when one starts to make independent decisions that can alter their life drastically. Moving out/Career/Further Education/Large Purchases (new car, home etc.). Things of that nature rather than choices of What pointless trinkets or clothes do I want to get.

Beards are not exactly proving of adulthood, ergo the women folk. Beards are more of a manhood thing.

I think it's when you start looking after yourself, financially and otherwise. That being said, i know a few lads in their young teens who are more of a man than some mid-20's i know. It's about being responsible for yourself.

There's a difference to still living at home and still living at home sponging off parents.

A) Adulthood is an okay film but Kidulthood is better

B) I think you turn into an adult when you can fully take care of yourself (or your family) in every way and when you take responsibility for what you've done and stuff. I look younger than my age (the youngest was 15) apparently and I'm 20. I think age plays a very small part in it but it's your actions and how you take care of yourself and how you're taught from right and wrong.

I know a few people from my school who are my age or a little older and couldn't take care of themselves or have turned to crime because they think it's cool. Having said that, there are a few with families or with their own place and are coping just fine. The latter is what I think makes you an adult. Being able to provide and take care of yourself and knowing right from wrong. I don't consider myself an adult yet people say I'm a healthy balance of mature and immature but I can't see it myself! :p

I do not consider myself an adult. I have a full time job and can grow a beard if I wanted to. My younger sister now seems to be more of an adult than me.

...a shitload of problems and issues one after the other, that you have to deal with yourself instead of hoping someone else will do it for you.

I'm 32 but I don't think I'll ever feel like an adult. Then again, youngsters somewhat get on my nerves, so I'm probably older-minded than I'll admit. ;)

My advice, jayseven, is don't beat yourself up about not having a job. Yes, it's good to have standards, but there's a fine balance between that and being too fussy. I would say, be realistic and look at the actual sources of employment in the UK. It seems to me that the supermarkets are a phenomenal employer, the likes of which we haven't really seen before. There is no shame in working for one. I assume you've got qualifications and would like a better job. That's great, but there's nothing to stop you getting that kind of job when and if it becomes available. In the meantime, you could be earning a lot of cash, building up your confidence and having a good rapport with your workmates (new friends).

But overall, as I say, don't beat yourself up about it, because I think most young people have a certain period before they really feel comfortable going to interviews and getting jobs.

As for the I.D. thing, my personal opinion is that it's got out of hand recently. Shops are so worried about it, you have to look 25 nowadays or you get asked for I.D. I almost got asked for I.D. when my Dad was buying beer and, as I say, I'm 32 (and this woman had known me for six years too).

I don't really like the classification of being an adult at all. I still have traits that would apply to typical adults, but I'm also, at almost 24, part teenager and kid. I always associate the term adult with the idea that adults will not laugh at stupid things they find funny, just because it is stupid to.

I don't try to be an adult, I just try to live in a way so that I am happy with how I am. If that means I won't fit into any category it's all the better, diversity rocks!

Although age doesn't really matter...it kinda does. This country has too many people who just don't want to grow up and take responsibility for themselves. I'm 25, i feel young because i still am, kinda :hmm:

The unemployment thing sucks, i spent 2yrs on the dole because the place i was at went into administration. It was hard finding work again, but ultimately i know i didn't try as hard as i could have. Far too many people in their 20's have never had a job, and that's bad. There really is no excuse, some people just don't want to grow up and face the world because they have a very easy life at home. The longer they avoid it the more confidence they lose, it's a nasty little rut that's very hard to get out of.

I dont really feel like an adult, I mean sure I have a job, car moved out some time ago etc. But I dont really have any responisibilities as long as I can pay my rent each month and feed myself. The thought of going to the same place every day for the next 40 years, to pay for a mortgage and kids etc. still terrifies me and I intend on putting it off for as long as possible.

The real world : You get a job you hate and life ends.

Dream world (where Nintendohnut and a select other few live) : You enjoy your job and life continues.

Being an adult is where all your hair falls out. How can being an adult be cool, when that happens?

Seems that according to a lot of people I'm an adult.

I'll go with that.

Except I can't grow a beard :( I can grow a Shaggy (cartoon character, not singer) like scruff on my chin but that's about it.