NEurope
Happenstance

Grand Theft Auto 5

Ok, it's realistic-looking, but so dull! Where are all the colours? :( Also, the cars handle like shit, and the radio doesn't really impress either! Wtf happened Rockstar? You went from fun to boring...

The colours are actually hidden - the default settings for vibrancy and all that are extremely low. Fiddle with those settings a bit and the colour of the game is much improved.

Lots of people have been thinking that because:

- The background of the "V" is a bank note.

- It has both "V" and "Five", suggesting that the "V" has a meaning other than five.

This may be set in a version of Las Vegas (probably an expanded one of the version in San Andreas). Which also makes some sense with the voice acting rumours from a while ago.

The biggest thing I want is the driving to be much more fun. Easier handling (i.e. the ability to zoom around corners without your car having a fit - they even wobble way too much when going slow, like the suspension is made from jelly) mixed with wider roads, which may not be more "realistic" but would enable much better car chases.

There's a difference between people who sign-up to gaming forums "knowing" something exists and a company officially saying something exists.

Whether or not we "knew" this existed; this is an official announcement.

To the company, and their marketing team, who spend hundreds of hours planning these things, this game didn't exist in the public domain until today.

Just to clarify: I also think announcing announcements need to fuck off... this wasn't one of those though.

I'd agree with you if they'd released the trailer along with the announcement. As it stands, it's really just an announcement about how they're going to announce the game in a week.

It's like those stupid teaser websites where they show more and more of an image every day, except they know they're going to get a lot more coverage if everyone knows it's about GTA V right from the start.

The sad thing is that it's working. I count six articles on Kotaku already, and all we have so far is a logo.

WHAT?!

This isn't opinion based.

This is fact.

This game, officially, did not exist outside of the Rockstar and Take-Two company.

It just didn't.

Now it does.

How was this not an announcement?

(I'm finding this quite funny by the way, I'm not actually annoyed over something so trivial.)

When I first saw the logo, I thought "Irish American", along the lines of the McReary family from IV. Not entirely sure why.

Since it's clearly to do with money, I reckon it could be to do with a bank heist or something. Would be ace, although it's only one mission. Would need to really drag it out.

I reckon it will be pretty good. GTA IV was slated for being pretty dull (although I like the theme of the whole thing), but they improved on it with TLATD and TBOGT.

San Andreas was probably my favourite. Vice City was good and had a better story, but I loved the exploration in SA. I can remember climbing the mountain just to fly down it on a mountain bike. I can remember getting the jetpack from the military base. I can remember finding and attempting to fly/land the massive passenger jet. All I remember of VC was driving around and sometimes flying the Apache.

I want an announcement about an announcement of an announcement next time.

WHAT?!

This isn't opinion based.

This is fact.

This game, officially, did not exist outside of the Rockstar and Take-Two company.

It just didn't.

Now it does.

How was this not an announcement?

(I'm finding this quite funny by the way, I'm not actually annoyed over something so trivial.)

In my opinion this fact stinks.

I'll concede that it's an announcement of the game, but at best it's just saying "Hey we've got a trailer coming, now wait patiently while looking at a logo." Once upon a time games had announcement trailers, from out of the blue.

I think the protagonist should be a banker who steals from the poor and gives to the rich.

Just to make it ultra realistic.

If we're honest, and stop enshrining our hideously malformed memories, I'm sure we would all admit that this whole series is absolutely crap. The whole way Rockstar handles the underlying way the actual interaction in the game works needs to be overhauled.

I think the protagonist should be a black lesbian woman.

The Kotakus of the world would have a field day.

I'll concede that it's an announcement of the game, but at best it's just saying "Hey we've got a trailer coming, now wait patiently while looking at a logo." Once upon a time games had announcement trailers, from out of the blue.

I agree with this.

I guess it depends on whether or not you think announcements of unveilings fit under the umbrella of announcements of announcements.

Which I do (obviously).

Mostly I'm just tired of transparent marketing tricks.

Protagonist should be a crossdressing streaker with a cockney accent. And a pimp walk.

I remember seeing posters and billboards (phone boxes, bus stops etc) advertising the debut trailer, before we even knew where GTA4 was set. That was a bit weird.

On a side note, GTA4 was by far the best in the series. Have replayed VC and SA since, and I just felt that they hadn't aged particularly well, especially the controls. I don't understand the hate for GTA4. It was hardly realistic. Sure, it was more grounded but I thought that added to its appeal. The attention to detail was mind boggling.

If we're honest, and stop enshrining our hideously malformed memories, I'm sure we would all admit that this whole series is absolutely crap. The whole way Rockstar handles the underlying way the actual interaction in the game works needs to be overhauled.

Couldn't disagree more.

Also I never got the internet hate for GTA4.

I know it was more serious and less "cool shit" happened.

But I liked the gritty depressing stuff.

Couldn't disagree more.

Also I never got the internet hate for GTA4.

I know it was more serious and less "cool shit" happened.

But I liked the gritty depressing stuff.

I think Rockstar is trying to please both audiences of the ones who like the serious stories and the ones that just want to go around blowing stuff up.

Truth is, it's been 4+ years to have something up, and with the engine already built, I can only hope for content that is as huge as GTA:SA or more. I still love GTA loved GTAIV, I love that saints row is also around, it's like a win win for me, both series I love and I'll have GTAV and Saints Row 3 to give me enjoyment for many months if not years :D

As long as its better than 4, it was dull and more repetitive than usual, plus the whole friendship phone call nonsense got old fast

I'd love it to be set somewhere we haven't had before Like DC, London, Paris, Moscow, Tokyo! hell even futuristic like GTA2 would be better

A) I like announcements of announcements.

B) Vice City was the best, anyone who disagrees is incorrect.

D) I want to see something awesurm and cuwl. Do like....Uncharted but in a real world setting. Or give it a Breaking Bad slant - you're the good guy pushed to the edge, with like...epic things like massive car crashes/petrol tanker explosions/buildings falling down.

Grand Theft Auto 5 : OVERDRIVE EXPLOSDERION.

A) I like announcements of announcements.

B) Vice City was the best, anyone who disagrees is incorrect.

D) I want to see something awesurm and cuwl. Do like....Uncharted but in a real world setting. Or give it a Breaking Bad slant - you're the good guy pushed to the edge, with like...epic things like massive car crashes/petrol tanker explosions/buildings falling down.

Grand Theft Auto 5 : OVERDRIVE EXPLOSDERION.

you forgot C

i'll Help

C: VICE CITY WAS THE BEST NO QUESTIONS

I'll concede that it's an announcement of the game, but at best it's just saying "Hey we've got a trailer coming, now wait patiently while looking at a logo."

That's exactly what Nintendo did with Skyward Sword, by the way. With the difference that with GTA V you're waiting one week for the footage, and with SS you had to wait months. In typical Nintendo style.

SA is king so I'd love for a return to that setting. Riding a motorbike across those fields and stuff was a blast and a multiplayer mode with such a thing would be epic.

GTAIV however is one of the dullest games I've ever played. Felt like I was having the life sucked out of me whilst playing that so I am a little worried about what direction they will take with this one.

It still think they need to nick ideas from Burnout Paradise, mainly the online mode.

More precisely, it needs the "freeburn" games - i.e. quick games you can activate from a menu and start playing wherever you are on the map - and the challenges - various things that you have to work together to complete.

I loved Vice City, but SA I felt was better because of the greater exploration and fun with the jet. I used to just load up my game head on over to the hangar and spend ages flying around pulling stunts etc and then jumping out with my parachute.

GTAIV was alright but just not as fun. Thus why I plan to give Saints Row 3 a go this time.

I loved the way the cars handled in GTA4. Saints Row 2 felt like I was driving on ice.

GTA4 felt like I was driving a cinder block.

In Saints Row 2 I managed to drive cars along the side of walls.

SA is a 'better' GTA but Vice City is stunning. Best in the series.

I need to go back and play III, VC and SA - I never had a PS2 and GTA4 was my first GTA game i owned and played fully. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm looking forward to 5, but i should really go back to see what i missed I reckon.

I loved the way the cars handled in GTA4. Saints Row 2 felt like I was driving on ice.

Funny you say that, the first time I tried the driving it sucked too me, but then after I got my license and started driving to work and such, playing GTA4 was fantastic in car movements :heh:

Same here. Felt like proper 'car chase' physics with loads of 70s style pitch and roll. Brilliant stuff.