NEurope
Murr

Great Games You Struggle To Enjoy?

Okay If anyone's been on Gamesradar today this is a complete steal from their website, but I thought it'd make for a good thread.

Have any of you guys/girls played games that have been highly praised, yet found you've had to force yourself to play them or didn't really enjoy.

most of the replies from Gamesradar is Bioshock.

And this is one I defiantly agree with.

I Was bought this for my birthday from my mates, as they'd all heard it was good, all played it and enjoyed it, and I had to admit It looked great, but I never got round to buying it, So they got it for me.

I've played perhaps... 2 hours of it. Not played it again since, and I really have no motivation to go back to it.

My List of so called Great games that I had to force myself to play / struggled to enjoy are...

Mass Effect 1 - Almost completed, but not quite

Bioshock 1 - 2 hours most into it, not bothered about going back

Resident Evil 5 - chapter 3 I think, no interest to finish it (not yet anyway)

Fallout 3 - Got to Level 12 I think, got no achievement for reaching that level on complete good moral, got Pissy, and not played since.

How about you?

(Apologies If you feel this should be in other consoles board, feel free to move :) )

-Seconding Halo;

-Pro Evolution Soccer. I can't get into sports simulators at all;

-Starfox 64;

-Super Mario World;

-The Mario Kart series (though they're not bad, they're just very overrated, IMO, and I can't play them for long without getting bored);

-Super Mario RPG

LoZ:Twilight Princess Got through most of the game, was in the fishing hole and I caught a Hylian Loach then the power went out. Havn't went back to it since

Resident Evil 4 I played up to the tital card then I just stoped, didn't really get into it

Super Mario 64 I finished it with 70 stars, regret not getting the 120 though. I had trouble with the red coins in the wing cap switch stage

Metroid Prime is the big one for me. Started playing it got... a certain amuont of the way through (definitely saw Phendrana and the lava place...) then just sort of lost interest, don't really know why - just had no enthusiasm to continue.

Halo I suppose is another one, but then I didn't really give it much of a chance.

Actually, Wind Waker! The triforce hunt seriously killed it for me, I've never played past it, which is a real shame as it was enjoyable up to that moment!

Little Big Planet I bought this AMAZING piece of software, played it once, and never came back.

also, pretty much any puzzle game be it Tetris, Bejeweled, Dr. Mario etc.

- Any turn-based RPG. However, I enjoyed Paper Mario. I should try and find the GameCube one.

Resident Evil 5 - chapter 3 I think, no interest to finish it (not yet anyway)

I thought that was generally accepted as rubbish?

- Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. (DS & Wii) - the only three 2D Mario platformers I've played. Something just doesn't click.

- Grim Fandango - the controls make it unplayable.

Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes is the only game I've played in the series, but I enjoyed it so little, that I'm not really fussed about ever playing any of the others.

Though I may give MGS3 on 3DS a go.

Super Mario World - I'm not really sure what it is, but there's just something about the entire game I don't really like.

MP2: Echoes - Didn't enjoy the dark world, and confusing overworld, so only played up to the Swamp.

Mario Sunshine - Fludd was rubbish, Levels were rubbish, Characters were rubbish... game was rubbish.

Others, Resi 5, Double Dash, Skies of Arcadia, Twilight Princess etc...

Edited by Retro_Link

Any Super Smash Bros game

Metal Gear Solid

And I second Resi 5, as the second character and co-op killed any tension that the game could have had

-Super Mario RPG

That reminds me of Super Paper Mario. Although the mechanic was new for me, I just didn't like it.

The old Sonic game(s). I had never played them, then bought the DS collection when it came out. But I found the game so annoying and just blergh, that I never bothered to finish it or try any of the other games (only tried the first game).

I had never played them, then bought the DS collection when it came out. But I found the game so annoying and just blergh, that I never bothered to finish it or try any of the other games (only tried the first game).

You did play one of the worst ports of the games (second only to the GBA version of Sonic the Hedgehog).

Edit: But a lot is probably nostalgia - hence why I'm not enjoying Super Mario World.

Yeah I've never got into the original 2D Sonics either. I played them a little back in the day on a few people Game Gears and just wasn't much of a fan.

Yeah I've never got into the original 2D Sonics either. I played them a little back in the day on a few people Game Gears and just wasn't much of a fan.

Nobody talks about the 8-bit Sonic games. Nobody. They may as well not exist.

There are a lot of games that I put a few hours into, don't feel it, then come back months later and get into the groove.

Mass Effect 1&2, Fallout 3 (plugged 20 hours into it being constantly beasted, then lowered the difficulty and loved it), Left 4 Dead 2 (came too late to the party), Dead Rising (never got to grips with basically NOT being able to do everything on your first run through) all spring to mind.

Generally speaking I very much prefer finding middling games that exceed my expectations. I tend not to get big games when they come out so my hopes are rarely dashed.

Nobody talks about the 8-bit Sonic games. Nobody. They may as well not exist.
OK well it's the same principle. I just didn't like 2D Sonic.

You did play one of the worst ports of the games (second only to the GBA version of Sonic the Hedgehog).

Edit: But a lot is probably nostalgia - hence why I'm not enjoying Super Mario World.

Deffo. The old sonic games... Are genuinely not good platform games. They're just a mess, with really poor level design and there's very little fun to be had from just pressing right constantly until you get hit and lose all your rings... then begin again.

Dead Rising (never got to grips with basically NOT being able to do everything on your first run through) all spring to mind.

I rented Dead Rising 2 and found out that essentially you're supposed to do virtually nothing but level up in the first playthrough. I didn't even bother finishing it once.

Yeah I read that it was a bad port (forgot why though?). But I just don't enjoy the entire game and the way it plays and all that. Was more frustrating than fun.

Also remembered I sold 42 All Time Classics for the DS. Not exactly considered an amazing game, but at the time I bought it, people I knew seemed to be enjoying it and playing it lots. I just hated it. There weren't really any games on there I enjoyed. So I sold it. Only game I've sold really. =P

Deffo. The old sonic games... Are genuinely not good platform games. They're just a mess, with really poor level design and there's very little fun to be had from just pressing right constantly until you get hit and lose all your rings... then begin again.

You know people stopped playing before they got to Marble Zone when they say this.

You know people stopped playing before they got to Marble Zone when they say this.

Well... yes. But games shouldn't put people off by their first 3 levels... I don't care if there's a good level later on if I'm not enjoying myself for the majority of the game.

Yeah, the game Gear games aren't very good.

there's very little fun to be had from just pressing right constantly until you get hit and lose all your rings... then begin again.

I don't understand why people say that, the Mario games are the same.

Yeah I read that it was a bad port (forgot why though?). But I just don't enjoy the entire game and the way it plays and all that. Was more frustrating than fun.

It's not the worst port, at least it's playable. You probably should have tried the other games though, they are much better, especially Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Super Mario Kart is the main one for me. The reviewers went crazy for it. My neighbour bought it, I went round and played it and thought "This is nowhere near as good as F-Zero". Any enjoyment I might have got from the racing (which wasn't that good anyway) was ruined by the weapons. I've never liked any version since.