NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Internet Videogame shows?

Which do you guys watch?

I watch the totally rad show (tv,movies and comics as well) Destructoid and loads of the Gametrailers shows....

One thing I hate though is that they are all hosted as such. I miss the days of the 1up Show and after that Area 5's Coop where its just a show with a little bit of an attempt at jokes etc...or other stuff and then they talk about games as well...

Anyone know of any?!

Not really an Internet show but I really enjoy the Giant Bomb Quick Look videos. Just a few of the guys playing the game and talking about it, I find their videos more helpful these days than reviews for deciding if I want a game or not.

This is GameJew. He had a show on ScrewAttack in 2006 and made lots of episodes that are all now on Youtube.

Most of his early shows were more focused on the coming of the Wii, where he would write songs, do singing video game reviews, do Mario & Toad finger pupper performances and other random stuff. He was the first person on the West Coast to get a Wii.

Then there is this:

I love, love, love these watching these old episodes. I miss GameJew

Now he writes a song a day, and has been doing so for over 2 years.

Edited by or else you will DIE

Does Extra Credits count? It's weekly, it uses a Zero Punctuation-styled presentation, and talks about several videogame-related aspects (sexuality in Videogames, storytelling, piracy, etc.)

I very much like it.

Does Extra Credits count? It's weekly, it uses a Zero Punctuation-styled presentation, and talks about several videogame-related aspects (sexuality in Videogames, storytelling, piracy, etc.)

I very much like it.

thanks for heads up, I'll give it a look

I watch Invisible Walls on gametrailers, and also Epic Battle Cry also found on gametrailers. Both are good in different ways.

I also enjoy the Angry Video Game Nerd and Screw Attack stuff.

My pet hate is Keith Apicary's Talking Classics which is not funny or interesting, as he isn't funny or interesting and this the shows suffers!

My pet hate is Keith Apicary's Talking Classics which is not funny or interesting, as he isn't funny or interesting and this the shows suffers!

oh god I really hate that guy!

Just Yahtzee really (If you call it a videogame show)

I tried watching the live one with him and some others but they couldn't stop giggling for it to be any good.

I very much like it.

I find the Extra Credits guy too dry and boring. Most of what he says is really obvious if you read a lot about video games. There should be more diversity in video games? Well, duh. At least with Zero Punctuation and the like there's humor to be entertained by.

Plus his episode about sexual diversity was just weird if you've played Persona 4. He claims that Kanji is clearly gay, but I didn't come to that conclusion when I played the game at all (based on him having a crush on Naoto, getting a nosebleed when he sees the girls in bikinis, among other things). And Naoto being transgendered? That's some subtle writing if that's the case, because all I got from her was that she dressed as a boy so that people would take her more seriously.

I mean, he claims that it's less subtle in the Japanese version, but he doesn't seem to have played it. Having played the English version, I can't follow his logic at all (but God help anyone who disagrees with his conclusions on the Escapist forums). :blank:

I find the Extra Credits guy too dry and boring. Most of what he says is really obvious if you read a lot about video games. There should be more diversity in video games? Well, duh. At least with Zero Punctuation and the like there's humor to be entertained by.

I find Zero Punctuation's humour to be incredibly repetitive. Not to mention the amount of rage and negativity Yahtzee exhumes just turn me of even more.

It became pretty clear to me that he actively finds things to rage about in games (like complaining MGS4 was too easy, when he was playing it in easy mode in the first place), so I stopped watching it when I realized his videos were getting samey

But still, that's just me.

Plus his episode about sexual diversity was just weird if you've played Persona 4. He claims that Kanji is clearly gay, but I didn't come to that conclusion when I played the game at all (based on him having a crush on Naoto, getting a nosebleed when he sees the girls in bikinis, among other things). And Naoto being transgendered? That's some subtle writing if that's the case, because all I got from her was that she dressed as a boy so that people would take her more seriously.

I mean, he claims that it's less subtle in the Japanese version, but he doesn't seem to have played it. Having played the English version, I can't follow his logic at all (but God help anyone who disagrees with his conclusions on the Escapist forums). :blank:

Granted, I don't play the same games that he does, so I can't verify what he says (and there're plenty of times where it becomes clear he knows nothing about Wii games). He might be wrong about some aspects in his reasoning, that's true (like when he raved about the plot in Missile Commando (I think that's the name?), he was clearly looking too much into it)

What I find enjoyable about these videos is that they show a rational, level-minded opinion about gaming, have a positive tone to them (which is a boon, considering the amount of negativity in the internet) and are a joy to watch. Plus, they feature an OCRemix at the end of each video, which is a nice bonus :heh:

But, once again, that's just me. I can understand if his opinions turn you off.

It's not his opinions that turn me off. I usually agree with him (granted, I haven't watched many of his videos because I'm not a big fan), but most of what he says is just so obvious that I don't get anything out of watching his videos. He's just preaching to the choir. The people who watch his videos are the kind of hardcore gamers who already know all about sexism in video games and the effects of piracy, and the people who don't aren't likely to watch his videos anyway.

I agree that Zero Punctuation can get repetitive sometimes, but at least he challenges his viewers a bit when he brings up issues in popular games. I don't always agree with his conclusions, but he usually has a point.

Extra Credits has a habit of putting games up a pedestal. I haven't watched his Missile Commando video, but I imagine that it's a lot like his Persona 4 one in that he's probably projecting and reading way too much into the game with the goal of making a point about how games are art. It doesn't surprise me that he doesn't know a lot about Wii games, as he seems to be the kind of person who puts story and characters over gameplay, as it's harder to draw parallels between games and books/movies based on how good the gameplay is.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I can understand wanting to watch something positive once in a while. :smile:

Ah, he's just too positive, appeasing and fence sitting. It sometimes hard to take. They're all right to pass the time.

I find Zero Punctuation's humour to be incredibly repetitive. Not to mention the amount of rage and negativity Yahtzee exhumes just turn me of even more.

It became pretty clear to me that he actively finds things to rage about in games (like complaining MGS4 was too easy, when he was playing it in easy mode in the first place), so I stopped watching it when I realized his videos were getting samey

But still, that's just me.

He mentioned that in one of reviews, also pointing out that those reasons are exactly why people are watching his videos and that's what all his viewers want to see him do.

He mentioned that in one of reviews, also pointing out that those reasons are exactly why people are watching his videos and that's what all his viewers want to see him do.

But they're his viewers because they expect just that, so it's a circular argument.

meh I've decided to start watching The 1up Show from beginning to end. 1st episode is

Xbox 360 Condemned & Call of Duty 2 with direct-feed footage!

Sign in to follow this