NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Ridge Racer Unbounded

Namco has announced a brand new multiplatform Ridge Racer game, due out next year for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Little is known about Ridge Racer Unbounded. A teaser trailer, which does not contain gameplay footage, is available to view below.

It's in development at Bugbear Entertainment, the Finnish developer behind the FlatOut series and 2007 PSP game SEGA Rally.

The trailer shows a car driving through steamy urban streets at night. A woman leaves, walks through steam, and enters another car. She then drives straight into a taxi, knocking it flying, before tearing off. We're getting a Need for Speed vibe, with some open world destruction thrown in for good measure.

"We are all aware of what its concept is," was all Ridge Racer 3D game director Masamichi Yamazaki would offer Eurogamer when quizzed in San Francisco this week. "But we're not the spokesperson for that title. All the Ridge Racers have their own concepts and target audiences. That is a very different Ridge Racer from this [Ridge Racer 3DS] one.

"This one is a more rightful successor of the series."

IGN

Ridge Racer Unbounded from Namco, which takes the arcade racing franchise and injects it with a heavy dose of mayhem. Namco has even cooked up a new mantra for Ridge Racer Unbounded – "Drive, Destroy, Dominate."

Ridge Racer Unbounded leaves behind the race track and veers into city streets, giving gamers no shortage of urban environments to use as makeshift demolition derbies. Crashing and smashing is apparently just as important as speed if you want to cross the finish line.

The series has turn into Burnout Paradise.

Walk over a steam grate, unsighted, in those heals! :p

Oh yeah, and that trailer was crap. How unnecessary!

With Burnout the shift to a real city with traffic etc...seemed very natural and made for a very organic shift in focus to open world. Ridge Racer doesn't have that and perhaps it can be argued doesn't need it...Also really don't think the driving model of Ridge Racer and its mechanics suit this style at all...

Looks like yet another try of "let's try and do everything the Western developers are in this genre so we can sell more"

Looks like yet another try of "let's try and do everything the Western developers are in this genre so we can sell more"

Completely...Japanese developer trying to stay relevant in a genre now owned by Westerners.

Wow, that looks appalling, I don't think I've ever seen a trailer for such a big franchise that has left me less enthusiastic!

I thought Ridge Racer was just launch game fodder.

Yeah it is so wierd how what was once a premier racing title both in arcades and for PS1 has become nothing more than just a way of showing off graphics on a new system..

That was one of the worst trailers for anything I have ever seen.

The walk, the wink, the PS1 FMV quality art, those heels, the unnecessary murder of a taxi driver. What the heck.

This isn't Ridge Racer :( I feel a bit hurt inside....

Yeh.. it's ridiculous :nono:Ridge Racer 64 was such a fantastic game and I also have Ridge Racer Revolution, Rage Racer, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Ridge Racer V..

This is definitely not Ridge Racer :shakehead Why does everybody ruin everything :mad:

Why would you use 'Unbounded' as a subtitle? It's award winningly clumsy; simply 'Unbound' works far better.

The marketing of this game is worse than real life rape.

Of course the first thing you want to do with a souped up car is to trash it and kill an innocent civilian.

Actually one of the crappiest/inane things I've seen. Just, ergh.

[just had to continue the hatin]

Edited by dwarf

The trailer sucked but RR needs a change, if it works it works and if it doesnt ahh well you can still get the same old RR on the 3DS and no doubt NGP.

Why would you use 'Unbounded' as a subtitle? It's award winningly clumsy; simply 'Unbound' works far better.

Hate to just quote the dictionary but look at them and its obvious what kind of vibe/buzz they want to get going about the game with a title like this.

Unbound

–verb

1.simple past tense and past participle of unbind.

–adjective

2.not bound, as a book.

3.free; not attached, as by a chemical bond: unbound electrons.

Unbounded

1. having no limits, borders, or bounds.

2. unrestrained; uncontrolled: unbounded enthusiasm.

1. limitless, immense, vast, infinite, immeasurable. 2. unconfined, immoderate

SO yeah Unbounded beats unbound in its suitableness for this games' title even if it does sound dumb.

Looks awesome, another racing game not about racing. Just what we need.

I know the difference between the terms, the point is Unbounded is a title best left unsaid. It's clearly the product of someone breaking out a thesaurus and fingering a word at random.

Even Boundless would work better. Or the far less pretentious Unlimited.

Or how about

Ridge Racer: The Rebounding Rise of the Redemptioners - Without Limits. Testosterone Edition

?

The walk, the wink, the PS1 FMV quality art, those heels, the unnecessary murder of a taxi driver. What the heck.

How do we know it killed him? He could have survived and lived a full lifetime of intense mental and physical agony and permanent disability for all we know.

Meh, he was an American (more likely Italian American) so he probably just "forgoddaboudit" and got on with his life.

And even if he did die, at least he didn't have to experience the mundane, hope-crushing, despairing void of a cab driving life, failing to sustain an income for his five doomed children and his dying parents.

I think Ridge Racer has made a profoundly sound moral point.

Riiiiiiidge Raaaacer!!!

Also, Giant Enemy CRAB!!!!!!11!11!!!!

That conference is the stuff of legends. We will be talking about it to our grandchildren in 50 years.

Sign in to follow this