NEurope
Stocka

Final Fantasy Official Thread

Final Fantasy IX was released today on Steam. Think I might have to buy it when I get home...

Final Fantasy IX was released today on Steam. Think I might have to buy it when I get home...

I hoping it gets a PS4 release. Saying that, looking at the achievements list, part of me hopes it doesn't. :D

gonna have to buy another game, thanks a lot Gabe/Square/whomever i want to deflect blame to

I ended up buying it today. The updated character sprites are so nice and crisp! They do look a bit weird against the blurry backgrounds but it's definitely worth the slight oddness. The reason I stopped playing it on my Vita was due to the backgrounds and sprites just seeming so low quality so this is brilliant.

Wow. I couldn't disagree more with that list, although I do rate FFII as the worst. The levelling up mechanic killed that game.

The issue with the voice acting in FFX was never an issue at the time of release. It was praised for pushing the series forward, so IGN are clearly judging it by todays standards.

It's been a fair few years since I played FFVI and I haven't played it since but I found it to easily be the most overrated of the FF games. Kefka as the main villain juts doesn't work for me. The guy is an idiot. Music is good though, i'll give it that.

Six is definitely my favourite. Kefka is a psychopath rather than an idiot surely? Although I admit it is also a long time since I played it.

Six is definitely my favourite. Kefka is a psychopath rather than an idiot surely? Although I admit it is also a long time since I played it.

Kefka starts out as a bit of a buffoon who shows his psychopath side as the game progresses. In fact, it's not obvious he's supposed to be the main villain of the game until the last act. He's very much written like a mini-boss or a right-hand-man up until that point.

Still, I don't think he's a bad villain at all. He's basically The Joker with magic powers

I need to go back to FFVI at some point. I own it on a couple of different platforms but have never completed it. I'm still tempted to try and get hold of a SNES copy as well, would be a nice addition to my collection.

I came across this today. :bowdown:

Fantastic piece of work, even if the end does happen a little too fast. The whole section with Zack was so heartwarming and heartbreaking. Crisis Core needs a HD port so more people ( @Blade) can play the thing.

It definitely does. Crisis core isn't even available to download on Vita.

It definitely does. Crisis core isn't even available to download on Vita.

Apparently its due to a licensing issue related to the credits song. Kingdom Hearts also has some weird licensing issue that prevents it from having a digital version.

Polygon have wrote an amazing article about the development of Final Fantasy 7. The article is HUGE. I've only read about a third of it and it has been a fantastic read.

http://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

I've just finished the section where Square decided to move over to the PlayStation....Nintendo weren't bitter at all. :D

I finished reading the article last night. Amazing stuff. There are so many interesting stories and quotes within it. I suppose 2 years of research and interviews will produce that, though. Definitely worth a read, if you have the time. :bowdown:

I finished reading the article last night. Amazing stuff. There are so many interesting stories and quotes within it. I suppose 2 years of research and interviews will produce that, though. Definitely worth a read, if you have the time. :bowdown:

Just finished reading this now, been working through it the past couple of days. Cracking read, really well put together. Really gives you an insight into the development of a groundbreaking game.

My favourite bit was where some of the higher ups wanted to kill off all but two of your party members at the end of the game!

Developer interviews and commentaries are always interesting, because they always shed new light on older games that you might not have thought of since certain parts of games might remind the developers of events that were happening at the time they were making it.

Especially when a game as critically acclaimed and well loved game like Final Fantasy VII is the subject.

Just finished reading this now, been working through it the past couple of days. Cracking read, really well put together. Really gives you an insight into the development of a groundbreaking game.

My favourite bit was where some of the higher ups wanted to kill off all but two of your party members at the end of the game!

I'm happy someone else on here gave it a read. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yeah, it was funny how some of the guys completely forgot what some of their ideas and suggestions were.

The section where they discussed whether to kill Aeris and then how the music was composed was a favourite of mine.

I still need to play I-VII ...

You've played VIII, so there's no need to play any of the others as they will pale in comparison. :D

You've played VIII, so there's no need to play any of the others as they will pale in comparison. :D

Well, for me it's IX that none of the others can reach :p

Well, for me it's IX that none of the others can reach :p

I'm still hoping for a PS4 release of this. I've only finished this one the once and it didn't sit well with me, despite it having some of my favourite CGI scenes from the series. I would love to give it another go. I have it on the Vita but I would like the speed boost options that were in the Steam release.

Speaking of the Vita, it's such a cracking little Final Fantasy machine. I have FF I-X-2 on there, as well as the Tactics and the Dissidia games. Great stuff.

Theres still the rumour that an aniversary collection will be released on PS4 this year with 1-13 (I assume they'll exclude the MMOs). I hope that does happen as I'd love to own them all in one place.

It was my very first Final Fantasy. I remember buying it almost 17 years ago, coming home and being absolutely shocked. THE CGI LOOKED LIKE REAL LIFE almost :D

It's obviously nostalgia speeking but it's the best FF out there, so screw you H-o-T :p

Theres still the rumour that an aniversary collection will be released on PS4 this year with 1-13 (I assume they'll exclude the MMOs). I hope that does happen as I'd love to own them all in one place.

Yeah, i'm praying that is true, as well.

I wonder if we will finally see a release date for the PS4 version of the new Dissida arcade game? It's been hinted at for a while now but still nothing has surfaced,