NEurope
Stocka

Final Fantasy Official Thread

FFVII had 3 CDs, FFVIII had 4. Each CD is capable of holding ~ 700 MB. So no, it couldn't have fit on an N64 cartridge. :heh:

And if they could have made one, it would have cost a fortune.

FFVII had 3 CDs, FFVIII had 4. Each CD is capable of holding ~ 700 MB. So no, it couldn't have fit on an N64 cartridge. :heh:

And if they could have made one, it would have cost a fortune.

Most of that space was for FMVs, I wager. If it were a matter of sheer raw content, then they'd just release it on multiple cartridges, as well.

Most of that space was for FMVs, I wager. If it were a matter of sheer raw content, then they'd just release it on multiple cartridges, as well.

Nah, multiple cartridges would have been too expensive, it's pretty much why they had to go with CDs to make that kind of game.

Playing FFXIV is really getting me in the mood to play other FF games again. I think its the great use of music between areas, making me very nostalgic. I could probably try and go back to FFX on my Vita.

iOS version of Final Fantasy 7 rolling out now

Square Enix is rolling out the mobile port of Final Fantasy 7.

It's out now on the New Zealand App Store, but not in the UK yet. This looks like your typical soft launch, and there's a 20th August release date mentioned. So it'll probably land on our shores tomorrow.

The role-playing game sounds pretty demanding of your hardware. Square Enix recommends an iPhone 5s or later, 3rd generation iPad or later, or an iPad mini 2 or later. It warns you'll probably experience "exceptionally" slow running speeds if you try to play on any other device.

Be warned: the app is around 2GB, but over 4GB of free space is required to download it.

According to the game's description, the mobile version is a port based on Final Fantasy 7 for PC, and no changes or additions have been made to the story.

A virtual controller designed not to obscure the action has been added, however. You can choose between virtual analogue or fixed four-way digital control pad options. You can also adjust the opacity of the on-screen controls.

It's worth noting the iOS edition includes an option to turn enemy encounters off on the world and area maps, but you can't skip event battles. There's also a Max Stats command, so you can become ultra powerful.

The price in New Zealand Dollars is 19.99, which is around £9.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-19-ios-version-of-final-fantasy-7-rolling-out-now

Kind of tempted to buy this, turn off random battles and just enjoy the story!

Final Fantasy IX Is Coming To PC And Phones

Final Fantasy IX, one of the best Final Fantasy games, is coming to PC and smartphones at some point in 2016, Square Enix announced today in Japan.

Square didn’t announce a western release but it’s safe to say one will follow, given that every other Final Fantasy mobile and PC port has made it to U.S. shores.

It’s not quite clear how much they’re changing for this version, but the trailer (above) shows sharpened, higher-res versions of characters like Zidane, not unlike the PC versions of Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII. Square’s promising “high-definition graphics, newly added achievements, auto-save, high speed mode, and several game boosting features.”

(High speed mode is an A+ addition, as we’ve discovered with the PS4 version of Final Fantasy VII.)

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-ix-is-coming-to-pc-and-phones-1750452318

FFIX is one of my favourite FF games, just impossible to dislike. Would be nice if an upscaled/trophy version worked its way to PS4 some time.

After VIII of course. :)

I tried playing FFIX on my Vita but it just looked so muddy and horrible that I had to give up. This new version does look better so I'll most likely buy it again.

Been recently watching Final Fantasy IX playthroughs, as I never really understood what was going on towards the end when i played it...

But wow, I never knew this game was so deep with its theme. Now fully understanding what the mist actually was and why its there for example kinda sent a chill down my spine.

(spoilers)

In the final battle with Kuja, did the party actually die and in a state of purgatory? Very chilling hearing the 'souls' wail on the Hill of Despair.

Definitely, think FF9 is a perfect candidate for a remake or even sequel. I feel it has been heavily overlooked due to the late PSX release.

Been recently watching Final Fantasy IX playthroughs, as I never really understood what was going on towards the end when i played it...

But wow, I never knew this game was so deep with its theme. Now fully understanding what the mist actually was and why its there for example kinda sent a chill down my spine.

(spoilers)

In the final battle with Kuja, did the party actually die and in a state of purgatory? Very chilling hearing the 'souls' wail on the Hill of Despair.

Definitely, think FF9 is a perfect candidate for a remake or even sequel. I feel it has been heavily overlooked due to the late PSX release.

It's a great game but, for me, it's still the weakest of the FF PSOne trilogy. I wasn't the biggest fan of Zidane and company. I only really liked Vivi and Beatrix. Steiner did have his moments, I suppose.

Despite all of these, the game has some of my favourite FMV cutscenes from that era. The summoning of Alexander is outstanding!

Edited by Hero-of-Time

(spoilers)

re the bolded, it is a little unclear, the final boss is a god of death, a sort of guardian who will reduce all life to the zero world (and thus remove threats from the crystal) summoned by the attach on the crystal.

The zero world you could assume is a beginning of time sort of event, like the start of the universe. Whether Necron's purpose is as a reset for a universe to be reborn or just keep it in a 'pure' state is very much unclear.

If the party didn't die they were on the knife edge between life and death. Either way Necron allowed them to exist to fight and in winning the proved that the will to live was something it didn't understand and it retreated.

What is a little unclear is if the Gaia>Terra process has ended, it was said once started the process would continue to filter souls, however with the destruction of Bran Bal its possible the remaining terran souls and shells are all gone so perhaps the lifa tree would stop?

I suspect it would have just slowed the process and the worlds and souls mix

It's supposed to be ambiguous. Might be limbo, might be the afterlife, might be they're all hallucinating while in a near-death state. Necron himself is the same thing, and what Agent Gibbs posted is just one theory. I personally believe that Necron is literally Death itself, given physical form in the Crystal World (as with other metaphysical concepts), and simply following his instincts and whims while in there ("When I see Kuja, I feel that self-destruction is what life wants" ; "When I fight Zidane, I feel the opposite")

What matters is that the final battle is a literal encounter with Death itself, the exact specifics are up for the viewer/player to interpret (which, IMO, is fitting, considering this is death we're talking about).

It's a great game but, for me, it's still the weakest of the FF PSOne trilogy. I wasn't the biggest fan of Zidane and company. I only really liked Vivi and Beatrix. Steiner did have his moments, I suppose.

Despite all of these, the game has some of my favourite FMV cutscenes from that era. The summoning of Alexander is outstanding!

What didn't fly with you regarding 9? i kinda know what you mean, I thought the chibi, animal-style was a little off-putting at first, but after a while I simply loved it. The start was as cinematic and engaging as any story could be, and the world map, ability learning from weapons and the 4 player battles are simply the best IMO.

have you or will you attempt a replay?

What is a little unclear is if the Gaia>Terra process has ended, it was said once started the process would continue to filter souls, however with the destruction of Bran Bal its possible the remaining terran souls and shells are all gone so perhaps the lifa tree would stop?

I suspect it would have just slowed the process and the worlds and souls mix

Thats the thing with FF9 - it could do with a sequel to better explain these lingering after thoughts. I think its more deserving of one than 10 and definitely 13.

It's supposed to be ambiguous. Might be limbo, might be the afterlife, might be they're all hallucinating while in a near-death state. Necron himself is the same thing, and what Agent Gibbs posted is just one theory. I personally believe that Necron is literally Death itself, given physical form in the Crystal World (as with other metaphysical concepts), and simply following his instincts and whims while in there ("When I see Kuja, I feel that self-destruction is what life wants" ; "When I fight Zidane, I feel the opposite")

What matters is that the final battle is a literal encounter with Death itself, the exact specifics are up for the viewer/player to interpret (which, IMO, is fitting, considering this is death we're talking about).

Yeah I don't mind that approach but at the same time I could understand if the ambiguity is off putting to some as Necron does pretty much come out of no where with little dialogue during the game. But I get you.

What didn't fly with you regarding 9? i kinda know what you mean, I thought the chibi, animal-style was a little off-putting at first, but after a while I simply loved it. The start was as cinematic and engaging as any story could be, and the world map, ability learning from weapons and the 4 player battles are simply the best IMO.

have you or will you attempt a replay?

I didn't mind the chibi style, I just found the characters very meh.

I found Zidane very annoying, with his happy go lucky attitude. I'm usually not a fan of the overly happy characters in any FF game, so to have it as the main character didn't really work for me. Characters like Amarant and Quina just felt very throw away, as well.

I hated the last boss. For me, the thing just came out of left field and would have preferred the final fight to be against Kuja. It would be like playing FFVII, chasing Sephiroth all the way through the game, only to find the last boss was in fact a giant crystal. I don't think i've ever been more disappointed in a final battle of a JRPG.

I finished it years ago but have never replayed it. I have it on the Vita and would quite happily play through it again at some point. At the moment i'm hoping we see both VIII & IX show up on the PS4, just like the recent FFVII release.

Everyone who doesn't love FFIX gets a "FUCK YOU" from me.

:p

Just kidding.

FFIX has been my very first Final Fantasy. I bought it on its release day in 2001. I was 11 at that time.

Went home, popped the first disc in (OH MY GOD, THERE ARE FOUR DISCS) and was immediately blown away.

I didn't understand the mechanics...it was my first JRPG, so all the stats and numbers and words didn't mean anything to me :D I enjoyed it, though.

The music...oh man, the music.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Nostalgia. :)

(btw, when I first saw Kuja I thought he was a girl...my first experience with Japanese video game characters :laughing:)

Would love to play this again...especially with a shiny Platinum to get : peace:

(btw, when I first saw Kuja I thought he was a girl...my first experience with Japanese video game characters :laughing:)

Kuja's design is really weird. Dude was showing far too much skin. :shakehead

Kuja was very androgynous and confusing for a young me, "man she's hot" "Kuja thats a weird name" "wait she's a he?"

You should replay IX @Hero\-of\-Time, i remember on my first play through i really didn't care for Zidane too much, found him like you too chirpy and happy, equally i found Quina and Amarant to be utterly pointless and never used them (which at a certain point where you're forced to use them i struggled). Back when i was younger i loved FFVII (my first playstation game) and FFVIII with VIII being my favourite

It was only through subsequent replays as i got older and noticed subtlety in the story and the charm of each character and how they were all linked in their own ways. Still Qunia and amarant are the least fleshed out, but there is more to them in quite easily missable scenes.

equally subsequent play throughs of VIII i discovered just how bad, convoluted, cliche'd and at times left field that was! Right now i only like the music, junction system and Laguna (who really should have been featured more)

Still Qunia and amarant are the least fleshed out, but there is more to them in quite easily missable scenes

Reminds me of the Active Timed Event sequences - really felt that system really added more flesh to the game. For example, in something like Zelda, where we barely see what Ganondorf is upto - I would have loved to have had a similar feature where I see at least a snippet of his evil in the world.

Just have to say I'm playing FF9 on my iPhone 6+ and it's beautiful! The work they did in the character models make the animation even better (Zidane's boots actually look like leather) and subtle changes like smoothing the text are very welcome.

The controls are very touch friendly too - moments like the opening sword duel between Blanc and Zidane works great! Happy to be playing this again.

What was your favourite and least favourite FF storyline and why?

As you can see from the above message I'm currently entranced by FF9, playing it on mobile. I find the whole 'recycling of souls' creation theory to be incredible - to the point of loving if it was what happens in real life. Ive been reading the Ultimania and love how Square have a detailed pre-history of the world too ie what Garland was doing thousands of year prior.

_ _ _ _ _

Least favourite will always be FF8 - unless a remake can make things clearer - the sorceress' and how all characters were in the same orphanage just made for an unbelievable story.

Great vid, although it would have been better to limit it to one scene per series entry.

Happy to see You're Not Alone made the list. I love that whole scene and its music.