NEurope
Stocka

Final Fantasy Official Thread

22 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The PS4 & Switch versions are upgraded over the PC releases...

NOW FEATURING A (ugly) PIXEL FONT! (it's better than nothing)

The opening credits for FF6 have been restored! You can now select the original BGM! (not quite sure why you would, when half the reason to even own the Pixel Remaster versions is for the redone OST) You can now adjust EXP drops/encounter rates/gil drops Bravely Default style!  And you can still walk diagonally! (and it's still just as super wrong as before!)

Comes out April 19th on Switch and PS4.

Scratching my head wondering how Pixel Remaster never ended up with a thread :confused: probably the PC first release? 

Now featuring a new pixel font! is absolutely hilarious as a selling point to highlight FIRST in your launch date reveal trailer (even if you're right dcubed, it's ugly as sin, but like you say – better than nothing!) :laughing:

Anyways, yeah, in for this, obviously, but no real rush with the onslaught of the next few months that is Jedi Survivor, Tears of the Kingdom, and Final Fantasy XVI. Will pick it up when I'm able to get my hands on a physical version, and this might be perfect to accompany me on a long plane trip or two this summer! :D

• Thanks 1

As someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game but has been meaning to get around to playing FF6 on the SNES Classic, should I pick up this version to play on the Switch or should I stick with the SNES original?

40 minutes ago, killthenet said:

As someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game but has been meaning to get around to playing FF6 on the SNES Classic, should I pick up this version to play on the Switch or should I stick with the SNES original?

Stick with the SNES original.  Every subsequent version of FF6 is worse than the SNES original.

These are the versions I would personally recommend for FF1-6...

FF1 = GBA or PSP

FF2 = GBA or PSP

FF3 = Pixel Remaster (The DS 3D remake is a very different game that is horrendously balanced and face punchingly hard.  PR is your only option for playing the original 2D game in English)

FF4 = PSP (The GBA version is also ok... but ONLY the European release, the US version is crippled by horrible bugs, of which most, but not all, were fixed in the EU release.  Like FF3 DS, the 3D DS remake is a very different game compared to the original, and was balanced with nothing but pure spite and malice towards the player)

FF5 = GBA

FF6 = SNES

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sweet.
Paid for my pre-order copy already.

Now the important question: Do I use it or keep it sealed and spend the extra cash on the digital versions?

Well, at least the font isn't as horrendous as the PC version.

I'm still bitter that FF6 PR teases you by having a couple of scenes use HD-2D graphics. A sad glimpse into what could've been.

11 hours ago, killthenet said:

@Dcubed has it right, play the SNES one. Top 3 RPG on that console. Best Final Fantasy in my opinion.

If you decide to go on to other titles. The Pixel Remaster version of 3 is unquestionably the definitive version, but 1 and 2 are acceptable if you can't get a GBA or PSP.

The SNES games are where the homogeneous sprites really start to hurt. Not a good look when SNES sprites are outdoing you.

EDIT: Credit where it's due. The Switch Menu Icons are bloody gorgeous!

image.png

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:16 AM, drahkon said:

Now the important question: Do I use it or keep it sealed and spend the extra cash on the digital versions?

Still haven't made a decision :p

My copy seems to be on its way (could arrive today, could arrive in a few days ::shrug:). I'll probably just get each game one by one over the next few months and keep the physical copy sealed.

• Like 1

3 million copies of the Pixel Remasters sold. 

Still trying to wait them out to see if more physical copies are on the way, I'll probably wait until Christmas, before I inevitably pick them up digitally ::shrug: still can't believe how they handled physical copies for the game (I don't think I've actually even seen a standard edition for the Switch with a PEGI rating on, all the individual copies I can find up for resale are the SEA rating-less version), but it is what it is.

Damn you S-E! 

Well, I gave up on praying for a re-print and imported an SEA copy, so expect an announcement of a fresh batch some time in the next 6 months :p 

GDpGNymWoAAA5L-?format=jpg&name=large

S-E, my fully logical and emotion-free message to you:

05cax5.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Steam version of the pixel remasters have been updated to match the console versions.

Also on sale.

@drahkon (and maybe @Hero-of-Time? Can't remember if you'd already picked them up, but think you mentioned they were on your wishlist at some point) the Pixel Remasters are finally on sale on PlayStation, too (by 20%) as part of the Critics' Choice sale that started today :peace:

Hilariously self-aware that these being on sale is an event in itself, they even released a January sale trailer: 

:D

ETA: also I guess the plan is that they'll be on sale on all available platforms (judging from the Steam sale and it being included in the description)? But still not showing on the eShop...guess they're waiting for their next sale to go live? 

13 hours ago, Ike said:

Steam version of the pixel remasters have been updated to match the console versions.

Not that it's unexpected when an update like this happens, but the update broke all of the fixes people had modded in, which is very funny (and unfortunate...but also funny) to me :laughing:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, seen it this morning on the PS app. About time! Just debating whether or not to pull the trigger though.

I almost picked 6 up last night on Steam when the discount came up but decided to wait with all the other games coming out now. It'll go on sale again at some point when I have more time and probably with a bigger discount.

Edited by Happenstance

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, seen it this morning on the PS app. About time! Just debating whether or not to pull the trigger though.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952ll60bo6sewddn1bum

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Thanks for the heads-up @Julius, but it's not the right time for me :p

darth-vader-no.gif

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

darth-vader-no.gif

I just watched the January Sale Trailer and man...I'm tempted :p