NEurope
Stocka

Final Fantasy Official Thread

Regarding the new FF IV, IGN's DS channel has some info:

Tokita is the FF veteran here. He actually became a full Square employee during development of the original FFIV, which was the first time he had full control over the event planning on an RPG. For the remake, he's rechecking the original's scenario, which he wrote himself, and has managed to work in some new events. He stated of the remake, "It's new, but it's FFIV."

In somewhat of a surprising revelation, Tokita disclosed to Famitsu that only one-fourth of the original scenario made it into the Super Famicom title! The remake will see some areas fleshed out while others will be cut.

The two discussed some of the ways that game will make use of the DS. First off, they're working on ways to utilize the dual screens. During battle, the help window can be displayed larger thanks to the second screen. During dungeons, the bottom screen is used for an auto mapping feature. You can make your character move by touching the map with the stylus. While the D-pad is the main means of movement this time around, there will be some stylus-based mini games.

Tokita revealed that there are some big plans under way to make players play a second time. This is not limited to just restarting a game in a powerful condition, explained Asano.

Famitsu reports that one of the focuses with the remake project is to replicate the look of the original while making the move to 3D. Some areas will remain unaltered, including the number of enemies that appear in battle.

So then, extra replayability incentive? Good use of the dual screens? - I've read that FF III doesnt make much use of them. And extra content as well? Its sounding like an ambitious remake, but thats what it needs to be to get people interested in buying it again.

Regarding the new FF IV, IGN's DS channel has some info:

Tokita is the FF veteran here. He actually became a full Square employee during development of the original FFIV, which was the first time he had full control over the event planning on an RPG. For the remake, he's rechecking the original's scenario, which he wrote himself, and has managed to work in some new events. He stated of the remake, "It's new, but it's FFIV."

In somewhat of a surprising revelation, Tokita disclosed to Famitsu that only one-fourth of the original scenario made it into the Super Famicom title! The remake will see some areas fleshed out while others will be cut.

The two discussed some of the ways that game will make use of the DS. First off, they're working on ways to utilize the dual screens. During battle, the help window can be displayed larger thanks to the second screen. During dungeons, the bottom screen is used for an auto mapping feature. You can make your character move by touching the map with the stylus. While the D-pad is the main means of movement this time around, there will be some stylus-based mini games.

Tokita revealed that there are some big plans under way to make players play a second time. This is not limited to just restarting a game in a powerful condition, explained Asano.

Famitsu reports that one of the focuses with the remake project is to replicate the look of the original while making the move to 3D. Some areas will remain unaltered, including the number of enemies that appear in battle.

So then, extra replayability incentive? Good use of the dual screens? - I've read that FF III doesnt make much use of them. And extra content as well? Its sounding like an ambitious remake, but thats what it needs to be to get people interested in buying it again.

From this, sounds like a must buy. But can someone clear something up for me? It was FF1,2 & 3 on NES, and 4,5 & 6 on SNES, right?

From this, sounds like a must buy. But can someone clear something up for me? It was FF1,2 & 3 on NES, and 4,5 & 6 on SNES, right?
In the right order, yes.

FFIV was the first FF for SNES. (if we don't count with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)

Im on trying to level all my characters jobs upto 99. So far I have done it with Freelancer, Red Mage and Knight. I need to level all 4 of my characters Knight job upto level 99 before I can continue as Im after getting the max HP in the game.

Anyone here who also played the original nes version of ff3j? It was the first FF I completed and I'm quite curious as to how this remake compares to the original. I suppose they made it easier?

I played the original ROM until the translation ran out. I don't think it is paticuarly easier.

Still alot of grinding nessecary and many times I've reached a boss, been wiped out and had to replay the whole dungeon again.

Actually alot of the poor reviews are due to the difficulty, so I think it has remained intact.

I played the original ROM until the translation ran out. I don't think it is paticuarly easier.

Still alot of grinding nessecary and many times I've reached a boss, been wiped out and had to replay the whole dungeon again.

Actually alot of the poor reviews are due to the difficulty, so I think it has remained intact.

I personally think that's great. One of the problems I have with most rpg's these days is that spending time levelling up is not really necessary anymore. But back then, you simply had to do some grinding if you wanted to stand a chance in the next dungeon. Those were the days that I genuinely *liked* doing random battles. I was afraid they changed that, but it's good to hear that they apparently kept it like it was.

In the right order, yes.

FFIV was the first FF for SNES. (if we don't count with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest)

Ok, so theres only been 3 games in the numbered series on any one console, (FF7, 8 & 9 on PS1, and 10, 11(partially), and 12 on PS2), so would it be reasonable to assume that 6,7 and 8 would be lumped together at the remake stage on (possibly) the DS's successor?

No, look.

NES:

Final Fantasy I (I)

SNES:

Final Fantasy II (IV)

Final Fantasy III (VI)

PS1:

FF7

FF8

FF9

FF Anthologys + Origins (Original I,II,IV,V,VI)

PS2:

FF10

FF11

FF10-2

FFXII

GBA:

FF1+2 (original 1+2)

FF4 (original 4)

FF5 (original 5)

FF6 (original 6)

NDS:

FF3 (original 3)

FF4 (original 4)

Ok, so theres only been 3 games in the numbered series on any one console

would be lumped together at the remake stage on (possibly) the DS's successor?

Even if your analysis had been correct, I don't think it works like that in SquareEnix's mind. It's probably more a question of what 'feels' right, as well as being strategic with particularly 'big' installments.

Even if your analysis had been correct, I don't think it works like that in SquareEnix's mind. It's probably more a question of what 'feels' right, as well as being strategic with particularly 'big' installments.

Oh well, I can dream:hmm:

Oh, and skarmachild, I didn't mean the jumbled releases europe saw, I meant in Japan.

Im on raising my job levels at the moment but in order to get max HP in the game I have to try and keep my levels as low as possible until I can get the Blackbelt job class. If I raise them too much then I will miss out on get max HP which would annoy the hell out of me as I like to do RPGs 100%
Lol you're nuts but I do admire & respect your dedication. I never bothered that much tbh, other than just having 1 knight all the way in the original ff3j. I think he had enough vitality to get max hp, but I can't remember exactly. Monk could probably do that too. I think you are right about blackbelt though as it comes so late in the game. Good luck mate :D

Another thing with the old ff3 was that the best was Level 99 Freelancer with freelancer-only equipment that drops off dragons in the last area. I remember they were an insanely rare drop and it was one of those extra game features for hardcore (and insane) gamers. I haven't got that far yet to see it in DS version (been very busy :( ) but you'd think something cool like that would have stayed in the game.

EDIT: a quick web searching revealed that it's now an unlockable in DS version.

Back in the original Famicom FFIII, Onion Swordsman was the first job you start as (like Freelancer from the DS version), but you can play this job in the Nintendo DS version as well by unlocking it. Onion Swordsman is one of the most powerful jobs with the Onion Equipment + past level 90's.

How to obtain:

1)Register someone elses's (or multiple) communication ID under Mog Net.

2)Send message to another PC 7 times

3)Send and receive 4 messages from Topapa, on the fourth one you will receive a message to do a mini-quest.

4)Go to Uoul (First town in the game)

5)Talk to Topapa

6)Go to the cave up north of the cave

7)At the drop hole, you will have an event and then will be proceeded to fight 3 bombs

8)After the battle, you will obtain a piece of crystal, which will unlock Onion Swordsman

Yeah im been after that Onion Knight for a while, just need someone with a US copy of the game to hook up with me...hint hint :)

I have US one too...! How convenient as I was wondering how I was going to do it as well. FC is 1718 9960 5748.

So just need to send 7 mails to each other right?

Yeah, I will go get my DS now and hook everything up.

EDIT: Mine is 1504-2403-4538 Just added yours now.

1 sent. But doh!! didn't know there was 1 mail per hour limit :hmm:

Just do what im doing, alter the DS clock forward by 1 hour! I have sent you 4 already lol.

Hey, I couldn't be bothered reading the rest of the thread.

On FFIII what purpose does the mognet serve?

Do you get any cool bonuses near the end like you did in FFIX?

*Feels lonely as he has no people to connect with over Wi-Fi*

I also have the US version you guys mind adding me? It should be under my avatar.

Didn't know FFIII was region locked.

I won't be on it much lately as I'm in college 12 hours everyday until tuesday so don't think I'm giving you the cold shoulder :).

mariosmentor, just entered your # into mine. Feel free to spam me. I'm just a bit annoyed about the fact that it's so hard to type messages in it. The space is under 'Symbols' section. How silly is that eh

On FFIII what purpose does the mognet serve?

Just a simple mailing system to others over wifi, or to NPCs in the game. You do get unlockables using it. Read over this page and you'll see 1.

I have now got a level 99

Knight

Freelancer

White Mage

Red Mage

Warrior

with an Onion Knight, Evoker and Dragoon on the way. This may take a while...

God. I don't have the nerves to do that atm. I have to say I'm liking this more than I liked FF3 on nes. I can't believe I'm saying that as I've always preferred original games to remakes. DS one feels a tad bit easier though. It FEELs like less exp grinding. And classes feel more balanced.

BTW got Onion Knight last night and now have 1 member with that job. I'm tempted to have 4 of them, but I resisted the temptation so that I can enjoy other classes. I wonder how early you can get Onion Knight. If you can get it at the beginning, it superceeds Redmage right away.