NEurope
Stocka

Final Fantasy Official Thread

Apparently there was a 30 minute stream late last night, around 6-8 hours ago, on the Pixel Remasters. Video seems to have been made private on YouTube since, but the biggest takeaway is that the first of the Pixel Remasters arrives in July. 

E5BOEGsVUAUzs4T?format=jpg&name=large

Also, more screens from each of the games:

E5BMGb-VkAMsJqU?format=jpg&name=large

E5BMJ_WVEAI8KHt?format=jpg&name=large

E5BMMpYVoAA4k-G?format=jpg&name=large

E5BMVPiUYAMjEiE?format=jpg&name=large

E5BM5zvVEAgMOlJ?format=jpg&name=large

E5BM6xIVoAEIXwV?format=jpg&name=large

And a better look at some of the sprites:

E5BQoWQUYAA62xV?format=jpg&name=large

E5BQorQUUAc9iiW?format=jpg&name=large

E5BQpJUVoAArFaH?format=jpg&name=large

Still not a massive fan of the lighter coloured sprites but definitely looks better on Final Fantasy V than it does VI. I know people will point at how they looked on CRT's, and how this is closer to the true intent of the originals, but having played the SNES version of VI last year, it looks great as is and really doesn't need this done. 

It's your biggest IP, S-E. Give us some options to swap between this and the original colour palette and sprite work, and then bring them to consoles, you monsters. But to be clear, I'm not hoping for that, just bring this to consoles damn it. 

Edited by Julius

Still looks like arse.  I see that people are trying to justify the changes by comparing it to terrible off-screen CRT shots; but it's all bullshit.  They've unified their respective art styles and have robbed each game of their unique look & feel.

The sprites simply look worse than the originals, end of.  They should've just have left them alone.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

They've unified their respective art styles and have robbed each game of their unique look & feel.

See, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

The concept of unifying the styles for a collection like this is fine, in theory.

The problem is that 5 of them don't look better than either the original game or any previous remake.

The only game in this that can even claim it's the best looking 2D version is III. And that's because it's only competing with the Famicom version.

Anyone who's actually trying to justify this with some BS CRT argument is woefully ignorant of the fact that Square are perfectly capable of doing better than this. Just have a look at Record Keeper for how a "unified" art style can look quite good!

• Thanks 1

Release date for the first wave of Pixel Remasters - I through III - is 28th July. I and II will be £8.99, whereas III will be £12.99, however there is a pre-order promotion on for 20% off. 

ss_593e7fc2c0934273e05afe5a3de3f9a9b0d34

ss_35d6a8da394ad3a819a5f7e4f56a2e05ead00

ss_d874d8bf7bf576ead20ad55f8ba55063ac0aa

ss_3a4ef690d6c8b6dafb96325c2b7ae1746d614

ss_d91c0af71e67c2450f040bb85efe92dbfe8a9

ss_e4855638d62e548b6538d50b4264d4205782f

• Universally updated 2D pixel graphics, including the iconic FINAL FANTASY character designs created by Kazuko Shibuya, the original artist and current collaborator.
• Beautifully rearranged soundtrack in a faithful FINAL FANTASY style, overseen by original composer Nobuo Uematsu.
• Improved gameplay, including modernized UI, auto-battle options, and more!
• Dive into the world of the game with supplemental extras like the bestiary, illustration gallery, and music player.

From the wording of the descriptions of the games themselves, these seem to be based on their original versions, so any GBA, PSP or other version bonuses aren't expected. 

Rearranged soundtrack could be nice, but that font they're using and the wasted space is pretty hard to look at. 

Edited by Julius

I don't think they look too bad, could have been worse. They look like they have some sort of filter though, hopefully you can turn that off (if there is and it's not my eyes).

5 hours ago, Julius said:

...that font they're using and the wasted space is pretty hard to look at. 

This is what bothers me the most. The font is horrible in those screenshots. Completely mismatched to the rest of the graphics.

I do hope it's just a placeholder, or at least customisable. The font needs pixellation to match the rest of the visuals.

10 hours ago, Ike said:

I don't think they look too bad, could have been worse. They look like they have some sort of filter though, hopefully you can turn that off (if there is and it's not my eyes).

A reminder that those screenshots are all from the NES titles. So they would look better then those games.

It doesn't look so great compared to the SNES titles though.

1-002.png

And compare them to some of the other Remasters and it gets worse.

final-fantasy-origins-06.big.jpg

1749628-7.jpg

Mediocrity is not good enough for some of the most important retro RPG's in gaming history! And Square can do better, in fact, they have done better! On a mobile game, no less!

FF-Record-Keeper-Shot-(15).PNG

Square Enix saying that they'll consider being the Pixel Remasters to other platforms if the demand is there. 

You dolts, of course the demand would be there. We're still stuck waiting and hoping on Chrono Trigger coming to other platforms too! 

I'm curious to hear Uematsu's rearrangements at least, but man Square Enix...

1ff024ad74623418a61e1cf534a3e39519adf731

• Like 1

Bought myself the Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster on PC. I've owned a few different versions of the game and despite enjoying what I'd played of it I've never actually completed it. Thought this would be a good one to play on the Steam Deck when it comes out but I'm gonna start it now as I've got a few days off working coming up.

So, uh...VI is getting a bit of a facelift in its Pixel Remaster!

Two new screenshots from Famitsu:

fVk5gxv_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

NQBzcCf_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Almost like they've tried to make it look something like Octopath, which is to say it looks fantastic. 

You better not take all of next to announce this is coming to other platforms in 2022 for the 35th anniversary, Square. I swear to Gilgamesh. 

ill-find-you-i-will-kill-you.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That Celes sprite is still too simplistic compared to the SNES version for my liking, but Dayum! The scenery is a real step up! That's more like it! I hope it's a general look and not just something that happens for those iconic moments.

Edited by Glen-i

WTF!? Those shots look phenomenal!!! What the hell!?

Why must they tease me like this when the rest of the game is gonna look like garbage :(

Found the original Famitsu scans, as expected the work shown above is only for select scenes:

FGv7KjVX0Aoe0Hq?format=jpg&name=large

Famitsu's cover and content is laden with the Pixel Remasters this month for the series' 34th anniversary, if anyone's wondering why this image has come from Famitsu. 

The aim for the Pixel Remasters was to have them all available by the end of 2021, right? Or at least, VI still shows as being scheduled for release in 2021 on Steam...wonder if we'll hear anything about it on the day of the anniversary (Saturday)?

Apparently the Famitsu article says it's coming "this winter", so I guess don't expect a shadow drop or it to actually release this side of the New Year :blank:

Edited by Julius
  • Sad 1

So it's not a general look? Well, that's just a massive tease. A full HD-2D look for my fave Final Fantasy is so close right there!

The juxtaposition between those select scenes and the absolute amateur hour sprites/backgrounds used everywhere else just makes this situation even worse!

They received such positive praise for those two screenshots, that they're taking two extra months to make the whole game look like that.

Is what I'll tell myself as I cry myself to sleep tonight.

• Haha 1

Final Fantasy VI's Pixel Remaster is coming on February 24th! 

The original FINAL FANTASY VI comes to life with completely new graphics and audio as a 2D pixel remaster!

A remodeled 2D take on the sixth game in the world-renowned FINAL FANTASY series! Enjoy the timeless story told through charming retro graphics. All the magic of the original, with improved ease of play.

The War of the Magi caused magic to disappear from the world. A thousand years later, humanity relies on machines - until they find a young woman with mysterious powers. The magicite system allows players to customize which abilities, magic spells, and summons the party members learn. All the playable characters have their own stories, goals, and destinies. Journey through their interwoven fates in this sweeping melodrama.

Revisit the critically acclaimed FFVI!

Universally updated 2D pixel graphics, including the iconic FINAL FANTASY character pixel designs created by Kazuko Shibuya, the original artist and current collaborator.

Beautifully rearranged soundtrack in a faithful FINAL FANTASY style, overseen by original composer Nobuo Uematsu.

Improved gameplay, including touch controls, modernized UI, auto-battle options, and more!

Dive into the world of the game with supplemental extras like the bestiary, illustration gallery, and music player.

And some pics to feast your eyes on:

FLKn_vQX0AE6dac?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FLKn_vPXMAgulyb?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FLKn_voXMAUk0W3?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FLKn_vPXwAAec7S?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FLKqY3kVcAMsdbD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Now to fix the font and bring it to console :p

Edited by Julius

Looks like complete dog shit, but sounds like absolute heaven?

Yup, it's a Pixel Remaster alright!

Looking forward to the inevitable MSU-1 patch for the original SNES game that adds in the PR soundtrack :hehe:

More of a look at the facelift the opera scene has got in VI's Pixel Remaster, courtesy of Famitsu:

Just...just go all the way with it already! 

I sat and watched this last night.

Various YouTubers and streamers give their views on why they love FFVII so much.

We all have our favourite FF game and while it may not be FFVII but there's no denying the impact in had on the industry and the JRPG genre.

I was happy to see a lot of people on the video were Team Tifa. Also, it will always be Aeris and not Aerith to me. Screw the proper translation. :p 

There was a decent discussion about the music in the game. Obviously One Winged Angel gets discussed but I was happy to see the love spread across other tunes as well. Judgement gets a mention which was pretty funny seeing as I played a quest in Curtain Call the other day that featured it and thought to myself what an underrated song it is.

• Like 1

I was always team Tifa in the original but I thought FFVIIR did such a good job with Aeris/th that it actually swayed me more to her side this time.