NEurope
chairdriver

Rate A Song

Fly - Nicki Minaj / Rihanna

The chorus has so much Invulnerability. It makes sense, being from Rihanna -- she's slowly but surely assumed reign over things great in the rap/RnB world.

This song sells Nicki Minaj really badly though. It just felt most at my fingertips when choosing it. It doesn't disappoint, but it doesn't exact deal 3 damage either. Let's not lie, her stun lazer is more intense elsewhere. This is a nice little song to have in her repertoire though.

Edited by chairdriver

Yeah, epitomizes [american spelling on purpose] my feelings on the album. The verses have something to tell me, but the production/song construction tells me little. Especially in constrast to it's counterpart Raining Men on Loud.

There's a reason Roman's Revenge was the one played tonight and not this.

I love "Sea full a' sharks an' they all smell blood".

6/10

This is the most typically Pajdriver thread I have ever seen. I would like to see a sitcom starring both of you discussing the merits of Bjork, Battlestar and Nicki Minaj soley through the use of a plethora of catchphrases such as 'stunning' and 'i love'. It would be, as is said, my favorite thing.

Re: Nicki Minaj - nothing I've heard her do has lived up to my initial introduction to her, which was her verse on Kanye's Monster. I don't know if she needs generally better producers or what but none of her solo stuff clicks for me, a shame. She's clearly and exceptional vocalist.

Aeroplane - We Can't Fly http://open.spotify.com/track/4r298fVLOxAKfTIQSHWj9n

I enjoy how much different bits and bobs there are. The steel drummy / organ / whatever bit is so good. Reminds me of Crystal Fighters album in the mix of instruments and synthy bits. The gospelly choiry bit is brilliantly over the top. A shame about the intro plan roboticy vocal though, lets it down.

Oh I heard this!

The other day!

In a film...which one?! ARGH. Oh no...it was in Skins.

Less fun.

I quite like it though. Bits sound like Grace Jones, the child voice reminds me of Boards of Canada (vaguely) etc. Nice.

---

I'm not sure where to take this thread now.

Oh I heard this!

The other day!

In a film...which one?! ARGH. Oh no...it was in Skins.

Less fun.

To be fair, the music is by far the best thing about Skins. Although it actually detracts from the show through the juxtaposition of shit plots / acting / characters / everything to great music.

The music section of their website is good, there appears to be a guy who's entire job is to find music for the show. I want that job.

To conclude: I've discovered too many good bands through it.

Yeah the music is far too good. It makes no sense. Like...why not make the show good too? I just understand bad things where there's been so little effort put into the writing/plot.

I actually don't like it that much. Her voice sounds too strained/it doesn't suit her voice.

Nice, and I love both Robyn and the song, but I think they're better seperate.

I listened to about a minute of it and that's all I could stand I'm sorry... nobody can sing that song like Bjork, I understand the context yes it was an event celebrating her etc so inevitably there are going to be tribute acts but as Paj said her voice really doesn't suit that song, so much that I can't even listen to the whole thing. :/

Isn't this almost identical to "rate the song above thread"? :laughing:

(I feel strange that I'm liking Nicki Minaj more and more whenever I hear her D: damn you Paj for introducing her to me!!)

Obviously not, in this one Chairdriver gets to put a score under the song he puts in.

Edited by Diageo

It's an... eh... Battlestar Galactica Reference.

You're filthy.

But I liked that recovery.

I'll grant you leave.

Birdy - Skinny Love

Cover of a Bon Iver track.

Absolutely stunning!! One of the most hauntingly beautiful vocals I've ever heard I think; it just pulls you in and doesn't let go. Spine tingling stuff!

Hmm, I liked bits, but not a patch on the original. Very "typical". I can imagine if I was a big fan of both Bon Iver AND Birdy, I'd think it were a worthy cover.

I find the absence of love for Arcade Fire on this forum strange. Like, one of the bands of our time.

Oh, this city's changed so much

Since I was a little child

Pray to God I won't live to see

The death of everything that's wild

Just incredibly powerful. I love that the synth doesn't make it sound shit.

Stunning out of ten

Hmm, I liked bits, but not a patch on the original. Very "typical". I can imagine if I was a big fan of both Bon Iver AND Birdy, I'd think it were a worthy cover.
This is the only song Birdy has released, she's a 14yr old singer/pianist, from a musical family, and recorded this (her interpritation of the song), just at home, which is why it sounds so raw.

Personally I much prefer this version.

I find the absence of love for Arcade Fire on this forum strange. Like, one of the bands of our time.

Oh, this city's changed so much

Since I was a little child

Pray to God I won't live to see

The death of everything that's wild

Just incredibly powerful. I love that the synth doesn't make it sound shit.

Stunning out of ten

Honestly? Arcade Fire are good. They've written some of the best tracks I've ever heard. But they're buried alongside tons of lesser songs. Every single time, it feels like they rushed the album, to me.

But yeah, when they're good, they're good!

I have to say that aftetr being totally meh over Neon Bible, The Suburbs rocks my face off. It's by far their best album and a real keeper. Odd band though- without being 'shallow' per se, they kind of blast away full throttle on early listens but I've never found them so compelling longer term, but I don't know why.

I've had them on my list for years, but have been putting them off for years. One day I'll listen to them. I realised I had No Cars Go on my iTunes, and was completely unmoved. It was very out of context though.

Honestly? Arcade Fire are good. They've written some of the best tracks I've ever heard. But they're buried alongside tons of lesser songs. Every single time, it feels like they rushed the album, to me.

But yeah, when they're good, they're good!

Roll with that description. May be why I took so long to get into them.

Like, The Suburbs is staggeringly good, though would be even better if they dropped a few songs.

I mean, The Suburbs (& Continued), Ready To Start, Sprawl II, Half Light II are all heads and shoulders above the rest of the album. But you couldn't call them a single band as the albums almost work so well together. Perfect for a live setlist in any case.

(cover)

Got a thing for guitar instrumentals at the moment. Love me a bit of surf rock!