NEurope
ipaul

New York bans smoking outdoors.

If someone is THAT bothered about inhaling secondary smoke then they should just man the fuck up, quite frankly.

I literally can't talk if I'm close enough to a smoker ask them to put it out.

People should be allowed to smoke if they want to.

And they can, just not in parks and very busy areas like Times Square.

Electric Cigarettes FTW. Perfectly legal to smoke indoors and outdoors. I quit smoking about 2yrs ago :grin:

Wow, what a rediculous argmuent

And yet, absolutely true. I put up with it just fine, it's not that bothersome... why can't you and everyone else? It's not that big of a push on your comfort zone... the way some people talk it's like they're getting punched by smokers!

Anywho, I think if people really wanted to clean the NY air, they should just force taxi drivers to take a shower or something. :heh:

Hear that, people with respiratory issues? THE INTERNET TELLS YOU TO MAN THE FUCK UP

This is a great thing. It's hazardous to the health of others, it should be banned. Even if it's just a split second, why should anyone else be exposed to hazardous smoke because someone wants to smoke.

It's like me going around with a mild poison and letting the fumes drift around into people's faces. Sure a bit of fumes won't kill you, and after a few minutes it's probably going to leave your system, still shouldn't be done.

And yet, absolutely true. I put up with it just fine, it's not that bothersome... why can't you and everyone else? It's not that big of a push on your comfort zone... the way some people talk it's like they're getting punched by smokers!

Anywho, I think if people really wanted to clean the NY air, they should just force taxi drivers to take a shower or something. :heh:

Its not true at all. Just because you are fine with it doesnt mean the rest of us have to be. It stinks, can make people with asthma etc have problems and its bad for your health. Others shouldnt have to suffer because of someone elses choice to smoke.

And yet, absolutely true. I put up with it just fine, it's not that bothersome... why can't you and everyone else?

I think the main issue is why should we have to?

Getting punched would be much more comfortable for me.

If someone is THAT bothered about inhaling secondary smoke then they should just man the fuck up, quite frankly.

I'm sorry but that is probably the most ignorant thing I have heard lately, to be honest. I, along with a lot of other people, suffer from asthma and I choke around secondary smoke quite bad. Some have it light and some have it heavily. I have it lighter than I used to but I can still choke pretty bad. How can you man up when you can't help but choke? Why should I put up with ignorant smokers like that? Why the hell should I choke just because someone doesn't have the courtesy and the politeness to smoke somewhere that's either away from crowds or away from places where people need to enter? Why should I have to hold my breath outside of doorways when I enter or leave some place? I try my best to avoid smoke but in places where you can't help it, it's not cool. There are areas where you can smoke, use them! When you're about to enter a bar and there's smokers hanging outside the doorway, you smell the smoke and you can taste it, that's your pint/meal ruined.

I basically agree with Cube, Goafer and Happenstance: Why should we have to?

I personally think what NY have done is a bad move. Yes people have a right to smoke and no others don't want to inhale it. But is it so hard to move 10ft away from that person?

It's just another measure of control.

I'm against this, too. I mean, have you never had smokers live and work right next to you, and excuse themselves to go outside and smoke? Now you're telling me friends, family, colleagues, etc. are legally obligated to smoke indoors, where I live and/or work? Because windows aren't enough.

Basically, this law is telling smokers to man up and smoke inside the buildings they frequent, and nowhere else. Think about that.

If it's raining and I'm standing under the bus stop cover, why should I move away into the rain because someone started smoking right in the middle of it.

If I'm sitting on a bench waiting for the train, why should I get up because a smoker sat beside me and the smoke is being blown in my direction.

I'm sorry but that is probably the most ignorant thing I have heard lately, to be honest. I, along with a lot of other people, suffer from asthma and I choke around secondary smoke quite bad. Some have it light and some have it heavily. I have it lighter than I used to but I can still choke pretty bad. How can you man up when you can't help but choke? Why should I put up with ignorant smokers like that? Why the hell should I choke just because someone doesn't have the courtesy and the politeness to smoke somewhere that's either away from crowds or away from places where people need to enter? Why should I have to hold my breath outside of doorways when I enter or leave some place? I try my best to avoid smoke but in places where you can't help it, it's not cool. There are areas where you can smoke, use them! When you're about to enter a bar and there's smokers hanging outside the doorway, you smell the smoke and you can taste it, that's your pint/meal ruined.

I basically agree with Cube, Goafer and Happenstance: Why should we have to?

See, this argument is flawed big time.

Smoking in crowds? I'm assuming you'll be on the move, as it's illegal to smoke in many buildings e.g football grounds etc. So how would passing through smoke for all of 2secs affect you?

Same with smoking at entrances for that matter.

How about having some courtesy for smokers who have already had to stand outside in the rain to enjoy a cigarette because laws have been past to say that they can't stay inside and light up.

Non-smoker btw

See, this argument is flawed big time.

Smoking in crowds? I'm assuming you'll be on the move, as it's illegal to smoke in many buildings e.g football grounds etc. So how would passing through smoke for all of 2secs affect you?

Same with smoking at entrances for that matter.

How about having some courtesy for smokers who have already had to stand outside in the rain to enjoy a cigarette because laws have been past to say that they can't stay inside and light up.

Non-smoker btw

Maybe I'll just start burning a bit of plastic and stand in a doorway you want to go into so you can walk past, cough a bit and have a shit smell on your clothes, why not?

Loss of freedom is never a good thing. I don't smoke, nor will I ever, probably. However, banning something that is legal is just ridiculous.

If you look at it that way it is pretty absurd...

People should be allowed to smoke if they want to. I get banning smoking indoors (although I think you should be able to get a smoking license) but outside? What a joke. I don't smoke but this still appals me.

I agree, pubs n clubs should be allowed to pay for a licence if they chose to do so, then if people don't like it they can go to smoke free pubs. Its pretty simples. Keeps everyone happy.

--

I just think its rather ironic that people go around drinking, acting like morons and causing trouble, fighting, drink driving, etc but everyone bitches at the smokers. Everyone who drinks in excess is an utter plonker, full stop.

I've met a lot of people who have been bottled by drunken people, and one of my college friends had to have his jaw wired together for a year from the damage a drunken loser did to him.

"but 99% of smokers are morons" uh hello, the reason you think its such a low percentage of normal people is because YOU DON'T SEE CONSIDERATE SMOKERS SMOKING NEAR YOU. Christ. I never smoked around people except for my friends who did smoke... so as a non smoker you'd never witness me smoking.

I agree that it should be banned in places of neccesity like shops and pavements/entrances/bus stops. Totally. And I also agree that littering is shite - but i've seen as much food & alcohol litter as I have cigarettes.

Believe it or not inhaling smoke actually makes me very sick thanks to a histamine response. However, if its legal I will still support reasonable rights for smokers. Some people don't smoke in their house for respect of their family, and they should have certain rights to smoke outside if they are not bugging people in the process.

You've obviously never experienced asthma or any type of immune/lung response then... sometimes even the residual smoke that you can't smell will kick off some peoples illness..

Edited by Raining_again

Maybe I'll just start burning a bit of plastic and stand in a doorway you want to go into so you can walk past, cough a bit and have a shit smell on your clothes, why not?

...Are you addicted to burning plastic? Because the analogy doesn't work otherwise.

If you look at it that way it is pretty absurd...

I agree, pubs n clubs should be allowed to pay for a licence if they chose to do so, then if people don't like it they can go to smoke free pubs. Its pretty simples. Keeps everyone happy.

--

I just think its rather ironic that people go around drinking, acting like morons and causing trouble, fighting, drink driving, etc but everyone bitches at the smokers. Everyone who drinks in excess is an utter plonker, full stop.

I've met a lot of people who have been bottled by drunken people, and one of my college friends had to have his jaw wired together for a year from the damage a drunken loser did to him.

"but 99% of smokers are morons" uh hello, the reason you think its such a low percentage of normal people is because YOU DON'T SEE CONSIDERATE SMOKERS SMOKING NEAR YOU. Christ. I never smoked around people except for my friends who did smoke... so as a non smoker you'd never witness me smoking.

I agree that it should be banned in places of neccesity like shops and pavements/entrances/bus stops. Totally. And I also agree that littering is shite - but i've seen as much food & alcohol litter as I have cigarettes.

Believe it or not inhaling smoke actually makes me very sick thanks to a histamine response. However, if its legal I will still support reasonable rights for smokers. Some people don't smoke in their house for respect of their family, and they should have certain rights to smoke outside if they are not bugging people in the process.

Except for the fact that getting plastered out of your face is not illegal and doesn't harm anyone but yourself, whereas starting fights and beating people up IS the problem, not the drinking. And people who beat others, drunk or not get arrested.

...Are you addicted to burning plastic? Because the analogy doesn't work otherwise.

I put nicotine is the plastic. Does that help?

Smokers are addicted to Nicotine, not cigarettes. There are many healthier ways to get a nicotine fix without harming others.

Its not true at all. Just because you are fine with it doesnt mean the rest of us have to be. It stinks, can make people with asthma etc have problems and its bad for your health. Others shouldnt have to suffer because of someone elses choice to smoke.

While that point stands, intolerance isn't the way. Smoking is a legal choice, and right now it's being marginalized. We're a tolerant civilization, we have to put up with each other's annoying habits!

I hate the smell of cheap perfume. Hell, 60% of the world probably does... it stinks and makes me nauseous. But I tolerate it because I want my own annoying little habits to be tolerated as well. It's a basic freedom that's not harming anyone but (potentially) myself. So is smoking. Yes, we non-smokers are uncomfortable with it, we don't like it! But it's their right to do so and it's not endangering us in any meaningful way, and so... we absolutely MUST tolerate it. There's limits to tolerance, (I just remembered death camp of tolerance, lol) but this isn't one.

I think the main issue is why should we have to?

Because some people are happier that way and the difference it makes in your/our life is very little. Compromise is essential.

I put nicotine is the plastic. Does that help?

What I meant was: are you burning plastic for your own enjoyment/satisfaction, or are you doing it specifically to piss other people off?

While that point stands, intolerance isn't the way. Smoking is a legal choice, and right now it's being marginalized. We're a tolerant civilization, we have to put up with each other's annoying habits!

I hate the smell of cheap perfume. Hell, 60% of the world probably does... it stinks and makes me nauseous. But I tolerate it because I want my own annoying little habits to be tolerated as well. It's a basic freedom that's not harming anyone but (potentially) myself. So is smoking. Yes, we non-smokers are uncomfortable with it, we don't like it! But it's their right to do so and it's not endangering us in any meaningful way, and so... we absolutely MUST tolerate it. There's limits to tolerance, (I just remembered death camp of tolerance, lol) but this isn't one.

The problem with your argument is that you say its not hurting anyone, but it is. Secondhand smoke is harmful, perfume isnt.

Edited by Happenstance

Drinking in public besides designated places like pubs and clubs is already illegal in Ireland, so I don't see why smoking can't be.

What I meant was: are you burning plastic for your own enjoyment/satisfaction, or are you doing it specifically to piss other people off?

I could very well get enjoyment from it, burning things is fun.

Smokers don't have that excuse because there are many other ways to get a nicotine fix, one of which is electronic cigarettes.

Like Odwin said, they might as well ban alcohol as well. I hate drunk people stumbling down the street or using public transport. They tend to smell, are loud and are possibly violent. Not to mention it's pretty unhealthy - a gateway drug, even. It's expensive too. Everyone would be a lot healthier if they stopped drinking.

While we're at it we should ban junk food. I hate fat people. They smell, take up space - I don't even want to look at them. They're even forcing the NHS to invest in new load bearing ambulances.

While we're at that we should ban shit TV because it's obviously making people stupider. It celebrates mediocrity. We can start by banning ITV.

Because some people are happier that way and the difference it makes in your/our life is very little. Compromise is essential.

This is the crux of the issue. For smokers, seeing fewer options for smoking responsibly is a huuuuge deal. Their well-being depends on it (I'm not talking about health).

For non-smokers, it's a dandy benefit they'll notice a couple of times a day. Maybe.