NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sarka

Bass guitars

Well, I have suddenly addicted to bass's. Although, I know nothing about them... anyone know of any semi-good brands, or tell me brands I should avoide. I was thinking of getting somehting like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-WESLEY-BM-SERIES-ELECTRIC-METALLIC-GOLD-BASS-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ7373756480QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is it any good? Any ideas. My budget isn't the biggest in the world, well, it's very very small infact. About £130.

Thanks

All I can say is wesley sucks. My guitar is a wesley and its really metally sounding. I'd get a Fender if I was you...

if you have an Amp, yeah go for a fender or something...

if not, get one of those beginner packs, maybe the ibanez ones.

not having an amp sucks, though luckily i'm getting a nice 120w bass combo for chrimtmas ^_^

Oh yeah, I forot about the amp. If you want a little one, like for beginners, get a marshall. 60w.

60w... for beginners O_o

60w is like, stage worthy :/

E: anything that can be heard over the drums is stage worthy, as long as your PA system is good :P

hehe, to be honest, a beginers amp is usally classed around 10w :P

practice amp is up to 30w, then anything above that generally is pretty loud :x

i was playing a 250w bass amp, at a practice room the other week, i don't think i went over 2 on the little volume dial.

Well, I have suddenly addicted to bass's. Although, I know nothing about them... anyone know of any semi-good brands, or tell me brands I should avoide.

All brands are quite good when you get into more expensive models. Cheap models aren't never that great, but they are very good for beginners.

wtf, 60 watt for beginners

I got a little 20 marshall one when i first started, doesnt compare to my fender tonemaster but its a decent little amp

as for guitars anythig by ibanez, fender is pretty good.

I've been playing bass for a few years now, and I still use my first one: a Peavey Milestone III. It's a great bass for beginners, and it's still an excellent bass when you're more advanced. I bought it along with a 50W Peavey amp, great for beginners too. You can't really go wrong with these, they're cheap (as I recall) and it's quality material.

Now I also have another amp, a 500W Randall amp (incredibly good for jam sessions and gigs) but of course it cost a lot more. I also plan on buying a Washburn or Musicman bass in the future.

I've been playing bass for a few years now, and I still use my first one: a Peavey Milestone III.

I had one of those!! In Metallic blue!! Then I swapped it for a Squier Strat after I got a Rickenbacker 4003... mmm..... Rickenbacker.... *drools*

Anyway, Harmony Central is a good place for reviews. They have pretty much every bass ever on it*! http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/00all.html

*may not be true...

It depends what sorts of music you're into and are likely to play. If you want a big metally sound, go for something like an Ibanez - more pickups equals more POWER! (actual quote from a Dawson's employee). If not metal, then I'd reccomend a Squier Jazz or P-Bass for a beginner. The Jazz has quite a distinct sound, I like it for it's slap-bass qualities. While the P is less distinct, it has a a greater range of noises which it can produce.

But the key thing to remember is; more pickups equals more POWER!

Thanks for the responses so far, and sarkas_girly, yuor bass is not what normal people have, it's way to big and loud for my non-trussy-like house.

Anyone have any more ideas for an acyual base, I'm looking through http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/00all.html but it's a really long list...

Oh, and the kinda of music is kind indie/rockish.

Well, i've got an encore PK40, and it's pretty cool. Though about £20 over your stated price range.

Sarka, you're probably best going to your local guitar shop and having a chat with one of the sales reps. The responses you get from here will probably be very convoluted and it'll be so much easier just going down the shop.

Sarka, you're probably best going to your local guitar shop and having a chat with one of the sales reps. The responses you get from here will probably be very convoluted and it'll be so much easier just going down the shop.

<<<< look, it says I live in Shetland. The place that sells bases are incredibly bad. I'll see if any bassists I know have heard about this Ibanez you guys have mentioned, they seem like a nice company. :p

Thanks for the responses so far, and sarkas_girly, yuor bass is not what normal people have, it's way to big and loud for my non-trussy-like house.

hey, I made it trussyish once... dont judge me D: or my bass for that matter, i lub it!

Sign in to follow this