NEurope
S.C.G

N-Europe Driving School

I always said to my parents I regretted getting a car after my bike because I loved it, but really it was the best decision for uni, it's cheaper (even with the petrol the way it is) for me to get anywhere, I can move to france like I want to and move everything myself and I've been able to move twice in the last three years.

It's the best thing I ever did, it helps to have a car, in some places sure, but until I know for sure I'm sticking in a place like London I'll have a car because it's easier to run than trains and public transport.

I'm going to be living in London (or Paris, or equivalently stunning city), so I won't (feasibly) be able to have a car anyway.

But then you'll be limited to only living in London and Paris (and other big cities). And (depending on your career) you may need to drive elsewhere for your job.

Still, it's one of those things where it's needlessly expensive. After having bought the car, road tax, insurance, petrol, windscreen wipers to pass the MOT, parking permit, congestion charge etc etc, you just wish you were dead.

Yeah but you can pass your test and not buy a car. Then you'll have your license for when you need it.

Or cycle. Cars remind me of shit people who live in the countryside.

What?

I have my driving test in two weeks time. I passed my theory almost two years ago but couldn't continue with lessons because i lost my job. The theory is easy, if people fail it more than once they probably shouldn't be driving at all.

I can do all the maneuvers fine, i do mess up reversing around a corner sometimes. I think its a bullshit maneuver anyway, for test standard you need to hug the kerb but in a real situation you're far more likely to just back up in the middle of the road.

A warning folks, insurance has gone through the roof in the last 12 months. Last year i was getting quotes around £1200 a year for third party, fire and theft. This year, with the same car the cheapest quote i can get is £2,056. Gobsmacked. Of course you can try and ask parents to go on their policy, but i've always wanted to do things for myself.

Even if i pass i can't see me getting a car for a while, i have far more enjoyable things to spend my hard earned money on.

It's funny when I think about it. I used to be like chairdriver, but then my mom and a friend conspired to enroll us both in a driving school at the same time (my mother believing I would take the classes if I had company). It didn't go that smoothly, because said friend had free time that I didn't, so he finished quickly, while I took a couple of years to do it (somehow passed the first time, too. Even after driving around for a couple of minutes before noticing the handbreak was still on :heh:)

That said, I don't plan on driving regularly anytime soon, but It was better this way. I now have my driver's licence for when I need it later and I can practice driving around the city occasionally (and thank God for that, parking my car properly took me some time to get used to, even after I passed)

I can do all the maneuvers fine, i do mess up reversing around a corner sometimes. I think its a bullshit maneuver anyway, for test standard you need to hug the kerb but in a real situation you far more likely to just back up in the middle of the road.

You don't actually need to hug the kerb. As long as you stay in the lane and keep the car under control you'll pass it.

Ryuk is definitely right that you really learn to drive after passing your test. Takes a good few months of driving around on your own before you really get a grasp of how driving works, and then it becomes second nature.

Best thing my g/f did to get through her test was to go on my insurance for a few months. Masses of practice and me being a lot harsher than her instructor (well, it was my car!) really made a difference.

I live in a city but work just outside the city. It would take two buses to get to work would take an extra 30-45 mins and cost more than the cost of petrol in terms of weekly cost. Maybe less if you factor in the tax/insurance, but then I'd need a bus/train etc. to go anywhere. And buses and trains are also stupidly expensive these days. I can't bike to work because it's miles away, down an A road and accross a motorway and would take a couple of hours.

Cars just offer so much more freedom than the bus. You leave when you want to leave, no standing around, no waiting for a late bus, no set route. Any time I want, if I felt like it, I could just drive to Leeds and bring home a new bookcase from Ikea, or take a day trip to York, or London. Fuck it, I could drive to France or Belgium or Germany.

Or keeping it closer to home, if I want to go to my local Tesco and get a boot-full of shopping... If I wanted to take the bus, I'd have to walk the first half anyway, then it would cost £2 to go 30 seconds down the road and I'd have to carry twelve bags of shopping back up the hill by hand.

I don't think there's any reasonable way that you can win an argument claiming buses and bikes are better than cars.

Edited by Shorty

I don't think there's any reasonable way that you can win an argument claiming buses and bikes are better than cars.

They are if, like chairdriver, you're just a college student.

But after that... Yeah, having a car becomes pretty much a necessity.

I'd always recommend everyone learns to drive, even if you don't get a car. It's a great skill to have and could always come in handy. It's a cliche but more often than not it's other drivers you have to watch out for, especially after just passing your test. It's amazing how many so called experienced drivers can't use roundabouts or box junctions properly. Just because you can, don't expect they can or will.

People like me then? :( well... technically I don't live in the countryside but i do live in a village so...::shrug:

I would have preferred to keep cycling to work but after the accident I was in there isn't any way that I can continue to justify carrying on to cycle in because I no longer feel safe on the road anymore while riding, which is a great shame because part of me actually loved being able to cycle in and back. :sad:

Of course I agree with you on the matter of costs though and I don't mind catching the bus so much - it gives me time to listen to more music - but over a year it can cost around £500+ in bus fares for me and that's after buying a reduced cost ticket in advance.

So yes it will cost a fair amount for me to actually get started - a few grand maybe - but in the long run it will surely work out cheaper and be more convenient for me to just be able to go to places when I want.

I'd always recommend everyone learns to drive, even if you don't get a car. It's a great skill to have and could always come in handy. It's a cliche but more often than not it's other drivers you have to watch out for, especially after just passing your test. It's amazing how many so called experienced drivers can't use roundabouts or box junctions properly. Just because you can, don't expect they can or will.

I pretty sure will knows how to use a roundabout.

I pretty sure will knows how to use a roundabout.

Don't you mean Will'?

audi-20040709033714503.jpg

?

Being your own driver saves a lot of time travelling, too.

Unless you drive a DeLorean.

On a somewhat car related note I read a news story today about a young girl who was involved in a crash because a slug shorted out a traffic light. So be careful while out driving folks.

Also don't text and drive please.

Isn't it true that most drivers tend to have atleast one accident in there first year or so ? I'm not sure on how much truth is in that, or its just been passed on by word of mouth.

who told you that...? Insurance is higher because there is a higher chance of a new driver (R plates in this country) having an accident. That in no way means you will most certainly have an accident :wtf:

A lot of new drivers are actually careful.... its more on the person than the experience. Like in Caris' example, that could have happened to someone on their first day of driving, or on their 40th year.

--

I got rid o' my R plates in September, woo I can go over 45mph =D:yay::heh:

Get your test, seriously, best thing you can do. I don't know how I ever did without my car... especially if you work. Living in n.ireland you kinda have to rely on parentals to scoot you in and out, or use very limited bus services! So I was more than ready to be out driving!

Took me just short of £2000 and from Feb-Sept to pass. (its good to get started late Feb when all the bad weathers clearing up)

Edited by Raining_again

Me and will are on a first name basis.

You can't have Will with out the '. Remember that.

You like public transport?

wow.

I'm one of those weirdos who care about carbon footprint. I like the bus! Never needed to take the train here. The Luas (light rail) is pretty good too.

But walking is still the best (and free).

I do think that knowing how to drive is an essential skill though. My main motivation now is future work, but it used to be recurring nightmares in which a hoard of zombie were trying to break into the house so I ran outside and jumped into the car but didn't know how to drive :(

Yeah I'm pretty good at roundabouts. I usually let hot babes call me by my first name too, so Moogle is allowed.

Also, if anyone is looking for a nice little runaraound my car will be going up for sale next weeks. One careful owner and all that, I'll even take potential buyers out for a spin.

Also' date=' if anyone is looking for a nice little runaraound my car will be going up for sale next weeks. One careful owner and all that, I'll even take potential buyers out for a spin.[/quote']

Why are you selling it? :wtf: are you perhaps upgrading and buying something 'better'... just seems odd because I thought you loved that car what with it being in your avatar and all. :smile: [/curious]

Cars remind me of shit people who live in the countryside.

Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

I passed my test when I was 18, hated learning but so relieved when I finally passed (on my fourth attempt :heh:). If I didn't have a car I wouldn't be able to do anything. Where I live there is about 1 bus a week (if that) and even by car the nearest decent sized town is 20 minutes away.

I've had one serious accident where I hit some oil on a corner, ended up spinning and rolling my car. I was very lucky and only knocked my knee, still brick it a bit whenever I go around that corner!

Driving = awesome!

Why are you selling it? :wtf: are you perhaps upgrading and buying something 'better'... just seems odd because I thought you loved that car what with it being in your avatar and all. :smile: [/curious]

I do love it, but since I moved to San Francisco I've been looking into costs of either keeping it there or bringing it over, and neither really works out cost-wise. Ideally I'd bring it here but try insuring that thing with no no claims discount and having only just passed your test, it's ridiculous!

With living smack bang in the centre of the city I don't think I'll need anything for now. Plan is to save like crazy and buy something cool in a few years time.

Even in this situation I'm glad I'm able to drive though. You never know when you might need to be able to, and it only gets harder to learn as you get older. It's definitely something you should do sooner rather than later.

I also agree with Eddage and Retro, driving is probably the most fun I have. I'd hate not to do it.