NEurope
S.C.G

N-Europe Driving School

l_plate.jpg

N-Europe Driving School

I thought it useful to have a thread for all of us would be motorists in the making and being that we already have a decent amount of already accomplished drivers on the forum perhaps we could all benefit from sharing our experiences - hopefully - resulting in a pooling of information that will in time become a useful resource to all who are interested in the subject. :)

I'll go first...

--------------

So a good few years back I actually learned to drive and to cut a long story short I failed twice and then didn't immediately persist with learning due to lack of funds at the time. Since then I've been mainly catching the bus into work until about two years ago when I started to cycle into work.

All was fine until I was involved in a hit 'n run a few months back and while I've tried to get back on my new bike since, it's basically not the same with my confidence shattered and so I've decided to take the safer - plus probably more logical long-term - route of learning to drive.

Personally I would be grateful of any helpful advice that people could give me with regards to learning to drive a manual car, obviously I need to retake my theory so things will have changed a little so advice there would be good and just any general tips about what books etc should be invested in.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said though, feel free to use this as a general driving thread, hopefully it may become a useful resource to all rather than just answers to the many questions I'm likely to have being the driving 'noob' that I am. :heh:

Edited by S.C.G

I'm almost 23 and I don't even have a provisional license. With driving/cars/petrol/insurance/tax/everything getting more and more expensive I just have no desire to start learning.

I was involved in a accident last year when a drunk girl ran out and hit me. Everything was fine but it did shatter my confidence even though it wasn't my fault.

In terms of learning to drive, just don't give up if you fail a test. A lot of people including myself have failed, then not started again for months. It's the worst thing you can do.

One thing i always say when you've done your test is...

congrats... now go and learn how to drive :P.. Reason why I say this is because I think you learn more when the rains are off sort to speak like everything else in life I'd asume? I am not a driver, don't even have a prov however I've heard people say this kind of thing that do have a liance and I do agree with them..

Isn't it true that most drivers tend to have atleast one accident in there first year or so ? I'm not sure on how much truth is in that, or its just been passed on by word of mouth.

Caris I am sorry to hear you had your conffidence knocked like that considering it wasn't your fault, can I suggest why not take a refresher course to boost yourself back up?

Passed when I was 18, Passed my Theory, Hazard Perception and Practical all first time, Had 15 lessons.

Since then not been involved in any kind of accident, nor have I ever been caught speeding.

However now that I've just said the above, here's betting that tonight on the way home I'm speeding and drive into the back of a police car!

I did my theory test during the summer I think. Passed with only one mistake, whoo! Though I think I've already forgotten everything I learned then heh.

Did driving lessons in September I think, 20 hours of it. Didn't do too great I think and it didn't help that the instructor was often just a mean jerk. Really hated the driving and every time I left I was drenched in sweat from all the stress. =P

But I now have a temporary driver's license, meaning I'm allowed to practice for 18 months before I have to do my test. The thing is I'm absolutely terrified of it all. We bought a cheap, old second hand car, which isn't that great. I didn't drive much at all since September. Only now am I slowly trying to get into it, but it's still difficult.

Doesn't help that when I drive with my mum, she is sitting there terrified, constantly gripping into the chair etc. Pfff. And I just fail at driving heh...

Traffic enforcement has sapped all the joy out of driving for me. I want a chauffeur tbh.

My best advice is only take the test when you are comfortable. I started learning when I was 21 because I knew I wouldn't be very good, I knew (and still know) very little about motoring and cars in general. I ended spending almost a year learning and had about 37 lessons. I passed my theory and test first time.

There's a new part of the test now where they ask you to follow signs and advance directions for about 10 minutes. I actually think it makes the test easier, especially as they have removed one of the manoeuvres to allow for it.

I really want to learn to drive because it may be needed for a job, and my family home is in the middle of nowhere. I've never really had a free slot to take my theory test or driving lessons though. During the year I have college, during summer I have work. Should've done it when I was in secondary school, before the provisional license law changed and you could get it at 16 or so. But really I'm just putting it off because being on the road seems frightening, and I like walking/public transport.

and I like walking/public transport.

You like public transport?

wow.

Seriously I couldn't function without driving now, I remember the days I wanted to go to town or the mall for something, arrive at the bus stop, wait for an extra 20 minutes as the bus was late.

then all the stops on the way to the destination... then the fact that the bus stop at the destination was aeons away from anything I wanted to go to...

Now it's a case of "Fancy a TGI's?" or "Fancy going to cinema?" or even to a lesser extent "Popping to Tesco!!" and I'm there within the same amount of time it would have taken me to walk to the bus stop.

Driving = Best thing ever, and pretty much essential (unless you live somewere like London for example)

One thing i always say when you've done your test is...

congrats... now go and learn how to drive :P.. Reason why I say this is because I think you learn more when the rains are off sort to speak like everything else in life I'd asume? I am not a driver, don't even have a prov however I've heard people say this kind of thing that do have a liance and I do agree with them..

Isn't it true that most drivers tend to have atleast one accident in there first year or so ? I'm not sure on how much truth is in that, or its just been passed on by word of mouth.

Maybe it's not an official statistic but I'm sure there's definitely truth in that.

As for the still learning thing, what I found helped was driving my own car when I was learning (obviously with parent or somebody in passenger), as you can see driving from a totally different perspective, rather than (next left, next right etc.). Also when you're not on your lessons your driving style will relax, so when you're driving on your own as a provisional you can find a relaxed driving style and then shift back to anal mode for the lessons, rather than driving one way until you pass and then getting in the car on your own.

Although it annoys me when people think they're automatically good drivers because they've been driving for x years. Most people on the road now couldn't pass their test. Almost everyone would have to have a few lessons and I reckon there'd be a few who wouldn't even pass/would need a shit load of lessons.

One thing I would recommend to all drivers (both new and old) is to understand how your car works and push it to the limits to see how it reacts. Obviously do this in a safe manner (ie. not on the road), but for example if it's icy, go to an abandoned carpark or similar and throw your car around a bit. See how it skids, put it into a skid and try and control it. That way if it happens on the road you won't shit yourself into a panic and do something stupid because you've never been in a skid before and you may be able to retain enough control to come out of it/minimise the damage.

I learned slowly from September 2009 until I took my test in September 2010, not at all ready or comfortable.

I could "drive", but I was not comfortable on the road really, nor did I have enough skills or know-how or whatever.

Had a lot of trouble learning, and when I failed I didn't care since I knew (and my instructor told me) I would. But know I can't bear the thought going back to driving...I've not driven since the test as I've been at uni.

Never liked driving really...I hated the responsibility and the fact so much was always going on at once.

I often got into it, but never enjoyed it or felt 100% comfortable.

*sigh* I think this summer I'll give it a go again.

I can't drive.

My parents are like: "You should learn."

I'm fine without at the moment. Prefer not to spend loads of money learning / buying and upkeeping a car. I'll learn when I'm rich, and green fuel is more economically viable.

I'm happy with the bus for now.

I can't drive.

My parents are like: "You should learn."

I'm fine without at the moment. Prefer not to spend loads of money learning / buying and upkeeping a car. I'll learn when I'm rich, and green fuel is more economically viable.

I'm happy with the bus for now.

But the point is that you may be fine now with not being able to drive, but when you finish uni and enter the job market, you'll be surprised how how limiting it is not having a car. And then you'll be regretting not learning as it will take you (probably) at least 6 months to learn.

Did driving lessons in September I think, 20 hours of it. Didn't do too great I think and it didn't help that the instructor was often just a mean jerk. Really hated the driving and every time I left I was drenched in sweat from all the stress. =P

Ugh, I had a mean jerk instructor. All she ever did was complain about everything I did wrong - it was like she couldn't just tell me what I did wrong without being mean about it. I never did anything right, based on her reactions.

Eventually she gave up on me (I'd like to think this was her failure and not mine) and I got an nicer instructor who actually made me feel like I could improve. I still had to drive with the mean jerk instructor the last time before my test, though, and I could tell she didn't think I would pass.

But I did, so she can go suck on a tailpipe as far as I'm concerned. :blank:

Ugh, I had a mean jerk instructor. All she ever did was complain about everything I did wrong - it was like she couldn't just tell me what I did wrong without being mean about it. I never did anything right, based on her reactions.

Eventually she gave up on me (I'd like to think this was her failure and not mine) and I got an nicer instructor who actually made me feel like I could improve. I still had to drive with the mean jerk instructor the last time before my test, though, and I could tell she didn't think I would pass.

But I did, so she can go suck on a tailpipe as far as I'm concerned. :blank:

Mine usually just made really sarcastic/snarky comments that I really could do without at that time. I was already stressed enough as it was. D:

Anyway I'm still glad I took the lessons, as I don't think my parents would've been able to teach me. Though there's still things I don't really know how to do, or things I just fail at doing. I'd get more lessons but they're freakishly expensive (€114 for two hours, geez).

As for age when you learn to drive, I'm 25 (26 at the end of the week). I got tired of my family asking me when I would learn to drive heh. =P

I'd say for any aspiring driver the biggest detriment to your life and time as a driver will be other people on the road. The amount of times I've had near misses from people being in the wrong lane at a roundabout or a junction makes me wonder if they really have a driving licence.

I think it's best to think the worst of other drivers and never take chances if someone has entered a roundabout and isn't indicating don't take it as your opportunity to go as it would seem lots of people aren't aware of these things on cars called indicators.

As for taking the test I'd say it's good to have a catchy song in your head to calm down. I happened to be playing burnout paradise the night before my driving test and had Avril Lavinge's Girlfriend stuck on continuous play for the whole of my test, and didn't turn into a nervous wreck until the officiator told me I had passed.

Good luck all

I found countless hours of SEGA Rally as a kid taught me more stuff than my driving instructor ever did. Took me ages to get to grips with gears and clutch control with that daft old bloke, but as soon as I needed to regulate skids or put on a bit of opposite lock I could do it like a natural.

As for actual advice, stay calm. Driving is pretty easy once you get the basics down. Also once you pass your test keep in mind you're probably the worst driver out there. You're taught to pass a pretty rigid test, not how real life driving actually works.

In terms of learning to drive, just don't give up if you fail a test. A lot of people including myself have failed, then not started again for months. It's the worst thing you can do.

This is what happened to me. I have no desire or drive (pun unintended) to start learning again.

The best advice i can offer is to talk your parents into teaching you how to drive wayyyy before you take the driving test. My dad started teaching me when i was 14, so i had 2 years to practice. It made the driving test a breeze.

But the point is that you may be fine now with not being able to drive, but when you finish uni and enter the job market, you'll be surprised how how limiting it is not having a car. And then you'll be regretting not learning as it will take you (probably) at least 6 months to learn.

I'm going to be living in London (or Paris, or equivalently stunning city), so I won't (feasibly) be able to have a car anyway.

Moogle's right -- job mobility is utter win. I never took any lessons (because of my eyes) but I keep seeing jobs that are just too far away for public transport. Being your own driver saves a lot of time travelling, too.

My cousin passed first time. He totalled 5 cars in his first two years, one of which flipped into a river.

Still, it's one of those things where it's needlessly expensive. After having bought the car, road tax, insurance, petrol, windscreen wipers to pass the MOT, parking permit, congestion charge etc etc, you just wish you were dead.

It's like £50+ nowadays to not even fill the tank... I'd prefer to spend £1.20/£3.80 on a tube/bus journey, realistically, and not pollute the atmosphere.

Or cycle. Cars remind me of shit people who live in the countryside.

Edited by chairdriver