NEurope
Emasher

Revolutions/Riots in Africa

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed at all here yet.

So basically:

-The people of Tunisia started rioting and overthrew their corrupt government

-The people of Egypt got the same idea and are in the process of trying to overthrow their corrupt government

-The Internet and all cell phone networks have been shut down in Egypt

-Similar events are apparently starting up in Yemen, but are in the early stages

Now, I'm sure most people here would outright support the whole thing if it were that simple but:

-An organization called the "Muslim Brotherhood" who (and I don't know much about them, so correct me if I'm wrong) basically want to turn the world into a massive Muslim theocracy, through any means necessary, including terrorism, are organizing many of the protests.

-Egypt is one of the few Arab countries that actually has a proper peace agreement with Israel, which was backed strongly by the dictator they're attempting to overthrow. A change in government could mean another war between the Arab countries and Israel.

-The dictator Egypt is trying to overthrow is backed strongly by the US, who while supporting fully the people of Tunisia, are attempting to cool down the riots in Egypt to try and keep the dictator in power.

Again, if I've gotten something wrong here, let me know.

Watched a few videos about the riots before I came on this thread.

It's fascinating watching so many riots around the world, particularly in England/Ireland as I can relate to them the greatest.

It feels like the entire world is just in absolute chaos (possibly is)

~ ~ ~ ~

I wanted to post something a little more philosophical but my knowledge is limited about this subject and I've been awake for 22 hours. Sorry :blush:

Random question here but why do some of these countries have beef with Israel?

Why do some countries not have beef with Israel?

Ducks out of impending shit storm.

Coz Israel are USA's bum boys (probably not true, but Israel are nobs)

If you don't know why Arab/Muslim countries have beef with Israel, I suggest you look into the history of the country and how/why it was created in 1948 I think?

Palestine :confused:

The moment I heard about Tunisia's revolt, I figured something like this would happen in other Muslim countries, though Egypt is the one that needed a revolution the least. Of course, I don't know much about the different countries in the Muslim world, so maybe I'm wrong.

Still, it's still too early to know where this shitstorm is headed...

-An organization called the "Muslim Brotherhood" who (and I don't know much about them, so correct me if I'm wrong) basically want to turn the world into a massive Muslim theocracy, through any means necessary, including terrorism, are organizing many of the protests.

Brotherhoodmute.jpg

From what I have read the Muslim Brotherhood is very liberate and is nothing like the priesthood in Iran. But I don't know for sure so I may be wrong. But I don't think the current President(he's been President since 1981) is any better anyway.

Apparently President Mumbarak went on television and accused the protesters of "holding up vital reforms." I admire the confidence of the assertion. Some journalist intimidation going on now, seems several Al Jazeera personnel have been arrested and released after having their equipment confiscated. Hopefully the army won't do anything stupid.

Also, the President's son and heir is believed to be sheltering somewhere in London, so y'all keep your eyes out for shifting looking rich people.

Edited by gaggle64

Wait, what the Hell happened? It was all mostly peaceful since the police withdrew, but now it's gone to shit... I have to say I'm very suspicious I'd these 'pro-Mubarak' protesters...

Wait, what the Hell happened? It was all mostly peaceful since the police withdrew, but now it's gone to shit... I have to say I'm very suspicious I'd these 'pro-Mubarak' protesters...

Yeah, people there are saying it's policemen in civilian outfits and then the poorest of the poor which they paid to go and protest against the other protesters.

It's also become very dangerous for journalists there apparently. A few Belgian journalists were arrested, some were released again but one of them is still missing. =/

I doubt the majority of them were paid off or whatever. Perhaps they were provoked somewhat, but the majority were probably legitimately pro-Mubarak beforehand, and just needed an extra push to move forward.

I think at this point, the logical thing to do would be to have a UN controlled election (So the anti-Mubarak side can't claim he cheated if he does win).

A girl needs a gun these days on account of those rattlesnakes.

Let me know when you know who the final cylon is, so I can show you the proper version of that track (there's spoilers in the track's name).