NEurope
chairdriver

Save A Life

http://www.allout.org/en/brenda/

Earlier this week, a gay activist in Uganda was murdered, and today, at his funeral people refused to bury his body.

In under 12 hours time, Brenda Namigadde, a lesbian from Uganda, faces deportation from the UK back to Uganda. This is effectively a death sentence.

Please sign, it takes less than 10 seconds.

You know what, I actually don't care. Not only will this petition accomplish nothing, she's just one of the millions of people dying every day. I don't get affected by them so why should I get affected by her? You don't really care about her either, you only care due to the fact that she's a lesbian, and that strikes a chord with you.

So don't pretend you're doing this because you want to save lives, you're doing it to fell better about yourself. You don't actually care about this woman, you're not going to follow what happens to her unless it's posted in the news. You just want to fill your name and email address into a website so you can sit back and feel better about yourself, because you've done some good and made the world a better place.

I wholeheartedly agree with Moogle. But I signed it anyway, because you just never know. It might go somewhere, taking a chance on it never hurt.

Nevertheless, post of the fucking year.

Also, Uganda's views on homosexuality always amuses me:

You know what, I actually don't care. Not only will this petition accomplish nothing, she's just one of the millions of people dying every day. I don't get affected by them so why should I get affected by her? You don't really care about her either, you only care due to the fact that she's a lesbian, and that strikes a chord with you.

So don't pretend you're doing this because you want to save lives, you're doing it to fell better about yourself. You don't actually care about this woman, you're not going to follow what happens to her unless it's posted in the news. You just want to fill your name and email address into a website so you can sit back and feel better about yourself, because you've done some good and made the world a better place.

Actually, I do care. I care that this country is supposed to be run by a government with principals, not one which knowingly deports people who will be tortured and executed on arrival to the country from which they've fled, fearing for their lives with good reason.

This isn't about sexuality, it's not about her and it's certainly not about me. It's about us, as a society, standing for something better and demanding it.

TLDR: Keep your presumptuous shit to yourself :)

This isn't about sexuality, it's not about her and it's certainly not about me. It's about us, as a society, standing for something better and demanding it.

This.

Not everyone is a selfish cunt at their core.

And this.

If this reaches the press, then it will work. Not because of the number of names that will add to the list, but because it will hurt the MP in the future if she makes the wrong choice.

Not everyone is a selfish cunt at their core.

Yeah you're right. I'm totally a selfish cunt for not worthlessly typing my name onto a website so I can rest easy at night. I so selfish for not convincing myself that my pathetic actions are actually changing the world for the better whilst I sit there in my readily available higher education in a society that allows me to be free and will support me if things go badly.

That woman might be killed, but I typed my name into my computer, I'm a fucking hero.

Done - yes, it likely won't achieve much, but not deporting people to places they are likely to get killed for being who they are is a very important principle. And hey, it takes about 15 second of my time, and might just save some ones life. If that's not worth it, then what is?

Yeah you're right. I'm totally a selfish cunt for not worthlessly typing my name onto a website so I can rest easy at night. I so selfish for not convincing myself that my pathetic actions are actually changing the world for the better whilst I sit there in my readily available higher education in a society that allows me to be free and will support me if things go badly.

That woman might be killed, but I typed my name into my computer, I'm a fucking hero.

Yes, a lot of people do it just to feel good about 'doing something'. As Shorty said, however, if the press and then an MP gets wind of this, it might just save someone's life. Unless you think she should be deported, why not sign it?

I wasn't talking about you.

Your assumptions annoyed me. Obviously you have a grain of truth amongst your presumptive bullshit, but not EVERYONE who signs this is the self-serving idiot you seem to think they are (nor are they naive enough to think this will 100% save a life).

No matter how small it is, why the fuck wouldn't you take the chance to save someones or somethings life

I don't see it is being a hero or "feeling beter about yourself", I just see it as being a decent human being

Here's a picture of a Platupus

platypus_662_600x450.jpg

No matter how small it is, why the fuck wouldn't you take the chance to save someones or somethings life

One reason is that the website linked is stupidly vague. It gives no facts about why she is being deported. For all we know, she could be being deported due to criminal offences. People who sign things on the basis that "it only takes a few seconds" and don't bother to research the facts piss me off. That's how stupid chain mail and scams circulate.

Luckily, I Googled the whole thing and came back with this:

If Brenda is repatriated there, she will be arrested as soon as her plane touches down, and there is every likelihood she will be tortured and murdered. The reason for her deportation? Apparently, despite her relationship with a woman -- the Canadian Janet Hoffman with whom she lived in Uganda but has not seen since they both fled in 2003 following persecution -- a judge has deemed her not to be gay. "She has been found not to have a right to remain here," Matthew Coats, head of immigration at the UK Border Agency said. "An immigration judge found on the evidence before him that Ms Namigadde was not homosexual."

Now signed.

The judge found her not to be homosexual, decent chance she made it up to not get deported.

Id love to see that test

This actually made me rather sad. If everyone had the same viewpoint as yourself, I can't imagine the world we would live in. Plus, your "only caring because she's a lesbian" point is invalid. The reason for caring doesn't matter. The fact he actually cares, does.

If this reaches the press, then it will work. Not because of the number of names that will add to the list, but because it will hurt the MP in the future if she makes the wrong choice.

It's like Gamu-gate all over again. Whatever happened to her in the end?

I kinda agree with Moogle in a way, It's not that I don't care but it's alright for this one case to be highlighted and saved by the world's media but what about the millions of others in similar predicaments who have no hope and no petition going for them. Saving the world one person at a time just doesn't cut it for me.