NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Kurtle Squad

GP2X!!!.....at last!!

I have not yet tested it, but i thought I'd give a little taster with pictures i took just now, before I forget.

I will review it for tonight, but for now here are just some generic opening pictures

154435.jpg

THE BOX!!!

154440.jpg

Stuff!!!

154427.jpg

oOOoo...Free Batteries

154833.jpg

IT!!!

...Ebr, do you even know what a GP2X is?

It all runs off memory cards you can't buy games for them. They run music, videos and lots and lots of illegal games ie: quake 2 etc.

Okay......I've just found out this thing doesn't have built-in memory...even though it says it does in the booklet and shit!!!....I have no SD cards either and no money :( So you'll have to wait for a crap review thing (of which the score has gone down extremely due to this)...FOR FUCK'S SAKE I HATE THE WORLD!!!!

Well I'll be getting one in a few couple of days (borrowing money) so leave this thread mods.

Well... that was smart Kurt. Oh and it does have *some* inbuilt memory.

You should have really read up on it before you bought it...

...Ebr, do you even know what a GP2X is?

It all runs off memory cards you can't buy games for them. They run music, videos and lots and lots of illegal games ie: quake 2 etc.

Quake 2 hardly runs, it's like 10 FPS at the moment :) Plus, wasn't the Q2 source released? Otherwise there could not be a GP2X release.

-edit-

I saw a movie of Quake 1 being played at 11 fps and it was very smooth.

In other news, the PSX emulator has hit 60 fps with frameskip 0 on most 2d games, and FF VII is near playable, bit of stability issue though. Fullspeed GB/GBC emulator is out with saves and sound, DrMD is working spiffily (Megadrive emu).... and battery time is crap, it was discovered that some machines had a standard cpu clock of 300 Mhz per cpu... crazy shit. You get about 4 hours on 2000 mAh batteries.

It is not a noob console, not at all, you can fuck it permanently. Seriously.

Aren't these things bugged to buggery ?

At the moment, yes :)

Okay......I've just found out this thing doesn't have built-in memory...even though it says it does in the booklet and shit!!!....I have no SD cards either and no money So you'll have to wait for a crap review thing (of which the score has gone down extremely due to this)...FOR FUCK'S SAKE I HATE THE WORLD!!!!

This is basically a Linux machine, any fool would know to actually look the thing up before ordering... I don't even have the machine (It should be in Germany around now) and I've been reading up for a few months now....

Well... that was smart Kurt. Oh and it does have *some* inbuilt memory.

You should have really read up on it before you bought it...

Don't mess with the 64 MB NAND, you can brick it ;D

How much are these things what type of memorys cards does it take?

Takes SD flashcards up to 1 GB atm (higher works but the full capacity doesn't get recognized yet). Also, you want to get an USB cardreader as the USB support isn't very good yet for WinXP... some units work fine... others don't.

They cost 125 pounds or something (I think it went down) from http://www.gbaz.com I know the owner, tireless fellow.

Oh yes, another thing. Your GP2X can get VERY screwy if you use shitty alkalines or when your batteries get low, much like a computer crashing (The CPU doesn't get enough juice). DON'T USE THE SHITTY BATTERIES YOU GET WITH THE MACHINE AS REFERENCE! Also you can get scanlines, but this has been fixed with a CPU clock changer.... http://www.gp32x.com

So, in short, don't get the console if you're a whiny bitch that wants everything on a platter, you're better off with a DS or PSP then.... it's a small company that's making this so the teething pains will be more noticable and drawn-out.

I'm really looking forward to mine ^_^ Anime/pron under the bedsheets teehee :love:

I did read up on it baka (plural ;))!!! There was nothing ever said the inbuilt was un-usable!!

And yes...I know the NAND can mess it up since yest...dunno how you'd access it anyway so...!!!

Thanks for the heads up about batteryness, I'll see if I can find some Duracell/Energiser in the house somewhere.....The frees can be used as emergency WaveBird power.

If you have read up on it, you'd know that the NAND was only 64 MB, 32 of which are occupied by linux itself I believe. How could you test any video or music in the right way with that amount?

Okay Okay....I've got a card now, so I'll be sayin how it plays this evening. Please stop critisising me

Okay; so far it seems to play pretty well appart from the not that noticable lines accross the screen, though I believe this is a problem being solved by firmware updates etc. :)

Music wise, it plays great.

L & R change the track to the next or previous and the Stick makes it so you can rewind/fast-forward.

Pressing select turns off the screen and disables all other buttons other than itself (more-or-less putting it to sleep, except music still plays) so you can have it in your pocket and not worry about changing or exiting the music player by accident etc.

Movies play well, and are great quality. The GP2X already has DivX on it and also makes what you're watching fit the screen automatically, so you don't have to worry about faffing around with things. There is an added bonus of reading "Please Waiting" as what you have chosen to watch loads. The buttons for changing Movie or fast forwarding are the same as Music files.

The only problem with the movies that I have encounterd so far is that some subtitles come up too small (Hellsing), but that is more to do with the subtitle size anyway :)

It seems to be a pretty sturdy gadget so far; The screen protector is also very good and has a point for existing, unlike the top screen DS protectors, as the protector is hard, whereas the actual screen isn'ton the GP2X. I don't know how good it will be for not letting dust inbetween the protector and screen however.

The shoulder buttons are comfortable and the only thing i have problems with is the stick, though I'll see how that handles when I get round to testing some ROMs.

I haven't got round to playing ROMs or anything on it yet, and I do not yet have a cable to see how it handles on TV, though I hope to soon.

Cool. I might get one of these or a gizmondo (don't nock it :P)

I'm saving up for one of these after I get my 360. mmm, Bleach and Naruto on the go. Pity about the terrible battery life, but I've heard that the GP2X is using more power than it needs to when playing music or watching videos. Should be fixed in a firmware update.

I think he's asking if it can play DivX files. Yes it can.

(Or he's wondering what the quality's like?)

Well I mentioned that :wtf:

I'm saving up for one of these after I get my 360. mmm, Bleach and Naruto on the go. Pity about the terrible battery life, but I've heard that the GP2X is using more power than it needs to when playing music or watching videos. Should be fixed in a firmware update.

I certainly hope so!!! I got some Energisers and they only lasted a few short hours, mainly just playing music (would last months in my Wavebird).....Hurry up with that Firmware I say!!! :sad: Prob wont use it over the Holidays since i wont be going anywhere, good job too....think of all the battery wastage :angry: I hope they get this fixed before the end of the year.

I want one of these babys soo bad! I'll proably sell my psp to get the cash later in the year, do they go for much on e-bay? Btw could you post a reveiw of the roms and everything when you get a chance?

Hey man any follow up review bits?

How do the roms look? Other software, tv out etc?

Hey man any follow up review bits?

How do the roms look? Other software, tv out etc?

I haven't yet tested the ROMs or anything else yet as I haven't really been using it...I've been doing other things due to the holidays and such....It will probably be quite a while until I try it out with a TV/OUT cable and that however, as a lot of my money is going towards my new bass guitar (need and Amp and stuff....everything but the guitar!!)

Sign in to follow this