NEurope
chairdriver

Playable Characters

Wouldn't it be weird if some people were actualy NPCs? Some sort of mindless,soulless creations, made only to further advance the "story" of the playable characters (normal humans).

What if I'm the only playable character and everyone else are just NPCs? Is my life not actually an MMO FPS, but a single player one? Is there a final boss? Will I be a high enough level when I get to him/her/it? Should I spend more time grinding for XP? Is my gear good enough? Should I assemble a team? Should I be more moody and nonchalant?

Fuck...

Who the fuck doesn't think of themselves as a playable character? What the hell is wrong with you if you think of yourself as an NPC?

Who the fuck doesn't think of themselves as a playable character? What the hell is wrong with you if you think of yourself as an NPC?
Maybe they are worried of being called narcissistic?

Well I don't think its appropriate to bring sexuality into this. :/

the spazz

Sup.

10tenlololololol

Well I don't think its appropriate to bring sexuality into this. :/

No, Michael. No.

I think of myself as the "expo-speak" sidekick.

Is this some sort of limbo between playability and NPC-dom?

Wouldn't it be weird if some people were actualy NPCs? Some sort of mindless,soulless creations, made only to further advance the "story" of the playable characters (normal humans).

What if I'm the only playable character and everyone else are just NPCs? Is my life not actually an MMO FPS, but a single player one? Is there a final boss? Will I be a high enough level when I get to him/her/it? Should I spend more time grinding for XP? Is my gear good enough? Should I assemble a team? Should I be more moody and nonchalant?

Fuck...

Gaming existentialism FTW! :p

Low self-esteem, obviously. That's not really hard to figure out.

Not necessarily. If the quality of being a playable character is deemed an intangible thing that only certain people manage, it's not necessarily low self-esteem to see yourself as an NPC.

Especially since some NPCs are stun.

Not necessarily. If the quality of being a playable character is deemed an intangible thing that only certain people manage, it's not necessarily low self-esteem to see yourself as an NPC.

Especially since some NPCs are stun.

Moogle seemed to think differently, hence my answer.

Yeah, people often confuse self-love and self-confidence with narcissism and arrogance...Being overly cautious, i.e. "better not say anything positive about myself, lest someone think I'm conceited..." Result? Poor self-esteem... :/

I have to agree with Moogle, what stops you guys from being playable characters?

I think I'm a playable character, but one of those ones very few people actually want to play as. If you consider your abilities/disabilities as stats then I'd be massively underpowered in a lot of important areas, but make up for it in others. It's all about the way you play the game though, and any character can have it's advantages if you play it for long enough.

If we're treating this forum as some sort of MMO though, I'd more than likely be a NPC for various reasons, I've not been here long enough to create a worthwhile player profile for one, I'm quite similar to others in their opinions and outlook as well, so if I was playable I'd just be a clone of another character. Come to think of it in forum terms I'm a pretty generic character that the game may be better without.

Yeah, people often confuse self-love and self-confidence with narcissism and arrogance...Being overly cautious, i.e. "better not say anything positive about myself, lest someone think I'm conceited..." Result? Poor self-esteem... :/

I have to agree with Moogle, what stops you guys from being playable characters?

This is most definitely right, but it's still not hard to understand why some people would think that way. I know, I've been there.

Low self-esteem, obviously. That's not really hard to figure out.

Surely it's more than just low self esteem if you don't even see yourself as a worthy part of life's game?

Ok so you could see yourself as an NPC in certain places/situations, such as N-E if you don't visit here often. But to generally see yourself as an NPC is just plain wrong.

I think of myself as the "expo-speak" sidekick.

Is this some sort of limbo between playability and NPC-dom?

Well you're still a main part of the game.

Surely it's more than just low self esteem if you don't even see yourself as a worthy part of life's game?

Ok so you could see yourself as an NPC in certain places/situations, such as N-E if you don't visit here often. But to generally see yourself as an NPC is just plain wrong.

I agree, but I think your underestimate the power of truly low self-esteem. It's perhaps not so much that you think you're unworthy, it's perhaps more that you just don't think you have anything to offer. You see yourself as entirely insignificant and irrelevant to the story.

Interesting side note: I'm reading a manga where one of the numerous side characters describes her life like this, but the intentionally ironic thing is that although there is one main character in the manga, all the side characters are actually very well-developed and certainly have their own important story.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

I think I'm a playable character, but one of those ones very few people actually want to play as.

In other words, you're the Cait Sith of real life.

Yeah Diageo, you're one of the characters that is a medium-difficulty boss early on, then based on decisions/choices made, you can join the party, or continue being the joke "returns every few stages boss, who in the end is good, but we'll never truly know how good because they never joined the party."

Giving the game replay value.