NEurope
Happenstance

Your teenage/school/college playlist?

I was feeling a bit nostalgic earlier for music I used to listen to in school/college so I decided to get all my old CDs out and rip some of the songs I liked and make a playlist.

Thought id see what bands all you lot were listening to back then as well.

My list so far (not gonna bother with the song names as theres quite a few):

Disturbed

Dope

Drowning Pool

Evanescence

Fear Factory

Fozzy

Kid Rock

Korn

Limp Bizkit

Linkin Park

Machine Head

The Offspring

P.O.D

Papa Roach

Puddle of Mudd

Saliva

Slipknot

Spineshank

Static-X

Sum 41

System of a Down

Tenacious D

The Union Underground

Daft Punk. It was always Daft Punk.

And Muse, Foo Fighters, Guns and Roses, Green Day, The Offspring, Placebo, Eminem, Moby, The Prodigy, Limp Bizkit (very briefly), Rage Against The Machine, David Bowie and Johnny Cash among a lot of others.

I still listen to quite a few of the bands on Happenstance's list... :blank:

Nowt wrong with that, I probably would as well but I pretty much grew out of music altogether. While I was in college I listened to it all the time, now its just something to keep me from getting bored on the bus or walking around town and even then im usually listening to a podcast.

For me it was all about AFI. Totally changed who I was, and in a very definite way helped me make great friends when I went to college (someone approached me with a compliment to wearing a band t-shirt and I was integrated into their group).

On top of that, Linkin Park for some time in year 10, 'til they became totally uncool. Same for Lostprophets.

Less Than Jake. I still kinda have a soft spot for them.

And then all the obvious Kerrang ones.

Brilliant idea, will contribute shortly. Might have to put limit on numbers in list. I didn't really discover music until I was a teenager, and so this list is going to be full of the stupidest shit when you see it, and for judging me I have just one thing to say; fuck you, musicwanker!

1. Phats and Small - Turn Around

2. Artful Dodger ft. Craig David - Re-Re-Wind

3. So Solid Crew - 21 Seconds

4. Craig David - Fill me in

5. LFO - Summergirls

6. Muse - Time is running out

7. Bob Marley(a large number of)

8. Muse - Plug in baby

9. Franz Ferdinand - Take me out

10. Semisonic - Secret Smile

11. Blur - Coffee and TV

12. Gabrielle - Out of reach(?)

13. tbc...

You may be able to tell a lot of my influence for these was pop/charts.

(aiming for 20 but need to do some more thinking, these just spring to mind)

Edited by Rummy

Happenstance my playlist was much the same.

Some of it still is, just with other things added in. :D

I'm more mainstream now than when I was in school. (in terms what I spend my time listening to, not what I appreciate as good music)

Secondary school was where I discovered the music that changed me/profoundly affected me.

Björk

Tori Amos (Oh LAWD my sixteen year old self was obsessed)

PJ Harvey

And like....everyone else I'm stunned by, basically. I only got real music taste/interest in music beyond chart stuff from age 15+.

Angra

Masterplan

Lost Horizon

Nightwish

X japan

Guns n Roses

Queen

Galneryus

Gorillaz

Rachmaninov Concertos 2 & 3

Chopin

random gaming music

random trance music

I hope nobody gets offended, but Happenstance/Ramar/nightwolf, how do you not get bored? Well, obviously Happenstance did, but that's probably because he never stimulated himself further... I mean, I outgrew that type of sound when I was 15, it never grows, every song is the same old stale formula!!! Well, not SOAD... and Machine Head/Fear Factory, but I'm guessing you mean the nu-metal-ish era of Machine Head and FF, which was a striking lowpoint in both careers. Oh, and Static-X's first album is ace!

Also, Smash by Offspring is a masterpiece, of course... but again, you're probably talkin bout Ixnay and Americana, yeah?

Tenacious D is untouchable, though.

I mean, it's no wonder you grew out of music, when listening to that same staleness for so many years. I mean, that's as uniteresting as metal gets!!! And metal can be so fucking good/interesting!!!!! Case in point (seriously, check it out and you'll see what I mean):

And don't think for a second I'm condescending you, this is just an advice, maybe you got bored because of lack of stimulus. God knows that abunds in nu-metal.

Nothing particularly against it, I was really into it till 9th grade or so, and still enjoy revisiting it from time to time, but it's quite obvious it's a gimmicky spin-off that was pretty much an attempt to market groove metal gone wrong. : peace:

Anywho...

'till I was 15, that was pretty much the type of thing I heard... then came a "true metal" phase, when all I would hear would be slayer, morbid angel, meshuggah and all of those tasty metal classics.

Then at 17 I discovered that music outside of metal was good as well, and since then it's a mix of metal, pop, hip hop, trip-hop, electro, noise, techno, jazz, blues, hardcore, classic rock, classical music, big beat, swing... I mean, pretty much everything, as long as it's good!

So I don't think there really was a "playlist", since I always kind of hopped around.

Dont forget, that is my playlist from college, my musical tastes did expand before I stopped caring about music. I stopped just being into nu metal and just liked what I liked.

As for The Offspring, yeah I think the playlist stuff does have Americana on but I do have Smash around here somewhere, dont forget though I wouldnt put that on there simply because thats not what I was listening to at this time in my life.

I dont believe I grew out of music because I got bored, im just not really a musical person. Im not someone who can just sit and listen to music while doing nothing else. I have to be doing something, for some reason tv doesnt count in this but I guess thats just because my eyes are focused on something as well. Either way, im happy enough not caring about music. Some of the stupidest arguments I hear these days come from one persons inability to just accept anothers taste in music so im glad im out of all that.

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Smashing Pumpkins

Soundgarden

Alice In Chains

Sonic Youth

Stone Temple Pilots

Beck

Breeders

Deftones

Sebadoh

Screaming Trees

Mark Lanegan

Incubus

Nine Inch Nails

RATM

Weezer

It's pretty easy to tell I'm a few years older than most of you guys. :)

Oxigen - I do sometimes, I mean currently my playlist on spotify has none of those bands, it has mostly dance/dubstep on it.

It's all about variation, I still look for new stuff, but I still like going back every so often to those songs/albums/bands. Because they've always been favourites.

Deftones <3

Artful Dodger

Oxide and Neutrino

Modjo

Chili Peppers

Zebrahead

The Ataris

Zeromancer

The Used

Jimmy Eat World

Finch

mewithoutYou

Kings of Leon

The Strokes

.. Were the only entire albums I remember listening to on teh way to school/college. A proper playlist would have a few one-hit wonders - All-american rejects, the acadamy is..., etc.

Times like these I wish I still had my music collection so I could run through it and be all "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!" and stuff. Damn!

Pretty much everything Happenstance put in his original post I listened to at School, and still listen to now quite regularly..

In College I did hit the emo / screamo years and listened to alot of Story of the year, Alexisonfire, Senses Fail, Silverstein, Rise Against, 36 Crazyfists, Dead Poetic, Finch, Taking back Sunday etc... and again I still listen to it all.

i LOVE A Day To Remember at the moment :)

I still listen to the same stuff I did back then, really. If you have Spotify (I don't know if you can), check out my playlist, most of it is from then.

Pretty much everything Happenstance put in his original post I listened to at School, and still listen to now quite regularly..

In College I did hit the emo / screamo years and listened to alot of Story of the year, Alexisonfire, Senses Fail, Silverstein, Rise Against, 36 Crazyfists, Dead Poetic, Finch, Taking back Sunday etc... and again I still listen to it all.

i LOVE A Day To Remember at the moment :)

Yes, yes, yes. Love rise against and 36 crazyfists.

Zomg Murr just reminded me of lots! I was a big senses fail fan for a while!

Extact same thing when I saw the end of your post and saw The Academy Is...

Also Cute is what we aim for... used to listen to them all the time, and again still really really like them!

<3 <3 <3 album-almost-here.jpg

Oh I forgot My Chemical Romance.

I loved. (And still appreciate for their pop/show sensibilities)

I was in high school (the Danish equivalent) last year and am still a teenager for almost half a year, so it's safe to say there's been no change yet. :p

For me it was strictly metal. Which is probably why I didn't have any friends.

It could also have been the rage.