NEurope
LegoMan1031

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Been getting through MGS3 at a steady pace, beat The End last night, guessing I'm around the halfway point? What a funny sentence :laughing:

Definitely still gathering my thoughts on a lot of things I want to discuss, but needed to comment on booting up my game today, loving the opening as always, and then immediately following that up with climbing up the ladder in the Krasnogorje Tunnel, with a vocal-only version of Snake Eater? Was nearly tearing up, what a powerful moment in so many ways :bowdown:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Julius said:

The End

One of my absolute favourite boss fights ever.

There are also two funny ways to kill him :D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yup. Totally agree.

42 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Spoiler

Changing the PS2 clock is one of the cleverest and funniest ways to get out of a boss fight. Absolute genius.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

Changing the PS2 clock is one of the cleverest and funniest ways to get out of a boss fight. Absolute genius.

Spoiler

But that's time travel and we all know that IT'S NOT ALLOWED AND THAT'S NOT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME :p

I actually preferred killing The End with a sniper after a cutscene way before the actual fight. I've always wondered how the wheelchair manages to fly through the sky and crash down on you, though :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:
  The End Spoiler (Hide contents)

But that's time travel and we all know that IT'S NOT ALLOWED AND THAT'S NOT HOW YOU PLAY THE GAME :p

I actually preferred killing The End with a sniper after a cutscene way before the actual fight. I've always wondered how the wheelchair manages to fly through the sky and crash down on you, though :D

The Back to the Future way is actually how I first defeated him. I bought the official guide with the game on release day (needed it to find all of those hidden frogs) and as soon as I seen that was an option I had to do it. :D 

• Like 1

Just finished watching the credits on MGS3. Loved Way to Fall as the end credits song, what a great and fitting piece of music:

Got so much to say, but I'm going to take a little time to digest it a bit more. If you want the short version, though, it's: Holy crap. I loved this game. 

But some quick, muddled thoughts while it's all fresh...

Loved the ending. Loved the post-credits tease. Most of the boss fights were great. Favourite scene is undoubtedly when you hear the song climbing the ladder at the end of the Krasnogorje Tunnel, such a powerful way to let the player breathe after quite a condensed rush through some bosses, and I found it really cathartic - it felt like a great blend of good storytelling/cinema and gameplay, and you get that at several times throughout the game. Love the story, and I found that Eva and Ocelot were so damn likeable as characters throughout. One of my favourite chase sequences in a video game. The tracks on the soundtrack are superb, and not for the first time, I've got to praise the original music of this series: it's ridiculously powerful stuff. 

Gameplay mechanics like "camouflage" and "cure", with how they're utilised in this game, should be in so many more games today than they are. The camera is so much better than in the previous games, though it's not without its flaws; most noticeably, there were a couple of times where I clicked in R3 and (correct me if I'm wrong here) the game reverted back to the fixed camera pre-Subsistence and found that it should've been the default camera (such as during the chase sequence) for that scene, because it loses so much without it. Experienced a bit of a frame rate dip when I used certain weapons, like the M37, which was a bit of a shame, and definitely some other noticeable technical things I noticed, but in the whole I'd say Bluepoint knocked it out of the park with this remaster. 

So yeah, I love this game. Easily my favourite Metal Gear game so far, and a massive step up from Sons of Liberty - that's not me speaking ill of that game, but this game just felt like the last third of that game, the part that I enjoyed the most, the entire way through. Had a massive smile on my face throughout most of the game. 

I think this might be one of my favourite video games. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:42 AM, drahkon said:

That's not even counting the even funnier way of killing him...

Spoiler

Using the sniper rifle on him the very first time you encounter him, before he gets taken away behind the gate.

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That's not even counting the even funnier way of killing him...

On 5/1/2020 at 1:42 PM, drahkon said:
  The End Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

17 hours ago, Julius said:

I think this might be one of my favourite video games. 

BlandConstantKite-small.gif

It really is a masterpiece of a game.

What did you think of Volgin as the main antagonist? There are very few villains that come to mind where I REALLY wanted to get revenge for what they had done. When he tortures Naked Snake, which causes him to lose his eye, I was absolutely fuming. I remember taking great satisfaction when it came to finishing him off. 

The Boss is one of the best written characters in a video game, IMO. She's such a tragic character who done anything and everything for her county. The way she sacrificed her own life and took the fall for what happened was heartbreaking to watch. Every time I play through the game I still shed tears at the end when Eva is telling Snake about The Boss. When he goes to her grave and then salutes....such an emotional scene.

I think Naked Snake is also a great character and find him far more interesting than Solid. The events that happen at the end of the game give great insight as to why he turns out the way he does. The government and country he chose to protect completely screwed him over and stabbed him in the back. I love how he doesn't shake the hand at the end during one of the final cutscenes.

Ocelot is fantastic in this game. Sure, in the original MGS many people fell in love with his style and he became a fan favourite. For me, it wasn't until this game where I truly appreciated him. His youthful, cocky attitude constantly getting him into trouble and his double crossing ways made him great to watch. Also, you cant mention him without his famous gesture.

source.gif

My favourite bit of music in the game is probably the main theme.

I love it when you blow the bridge up and the Shagohod storms back up after you think you've have sank it. This theme kicks in before the battle, Snake and Eva exchange a few final words and then you charge into battle. The 5 minute mark when the tune slows done and it turns into a rendition of the MGS2 theme is fantastic. I always preferred how this version of the song ends over the MGS2 version. Brilliant stuff.

Hell of a game.

I can't wait for you to play MGS4. People give the game a lot of grief but I love it. It's pure fan service and now that you've played the other mainline games you'll certainly appreciate a lot of what happens within the game. Some of the cutscenes that occur are just pure hype. Over the top? Indeed. Fan-freaking-tastic? Absolutely! It's Metal Gear going full on anime.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Julius said:

Loved Way to Fall as the end credits song, what a great and fitting piece of music:

Indeed. It's also one of the very few pieces I can play on guitar, so that's a bonus :D

it felt like a great blend of good storytelling/cinema and gameplay, and you get that at several times throughout the game.

That's Kojima for ya'. Some people may not like his stories/games but no one can deny that he is an absolute master of his craft. The way he manages to blend movies (and movie tropes) with video games is just masterful. Death Stranding proves that pretty much throughout the entire experience.
He's one of the very few people in the industry to really push the medium forward. I hope he sticks around for a long time doing what he does :)

The tracks on the soundtrack are superb, and not for the first time, I've got to praise the original music of this series: it's ridiculously powerful stuff. 

That's Kojima for ya'. He always finds bands/artists/tracks that fit the theme and atmosphere. Low Roar being featured in Death Stranding is one of the more recent examples. The moments while songs of that band are playing brought me to tears more than once.

Gameplay mechanics like "camouflage" and "cure", with how they're utilised in this game, should be in so many more games today than they are.

That's Kojima for ya'. The survival aspect in MGS3 is spot on. Many games fail at this but here it's executed perfectly. Kojima definitely knows how to create game play that actually makes sense within the games he makes. Death Stranding is one of the more recent examples.

This post was written, directed, edited, translated and sung by Hideo Kojima.

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can't wait for you to play MGS4. People give the game a lot of grief but I love it. It's pure fan service and now that you've played the other mainline games you'll certainly appreciate a lot of what happens within the game. Some of the cutscenes that occur are just pure hype. Over the top? Indeed. Fan-freaking-tastic? Absolutely! It's Metal Gear going full on anime.

Ohhhh MGS4. That one moment...that one song...that one memory...my eyes are watering up.
Edit: Just to be safe, I deleted the spoiler :D@Julius Go play and finish MGS4 now. I wanna talk about it.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2020 at 5:58 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

What did you think of Volgin as the main antagonist? There are very few villains that come to mind where I REALLY wanted to get revenge for what they had done. When he tortures Naked Snake, which causes him to lose his eye, I was absolutely fuming. I remember taking great satisfaction when it came to finishing him off. 

The Boss is one of the best written characters in a video game, IMO. She's such a tragic character who done anything and everything for her county. The way she sacrificed her own life and took the fall for what happened was heartbreaking to watch. Every time I play through the game I still shed tears at the end when Eva is telling Snake about The Boss. When he goes to her grave and then salutes....such an emotional scene.

I think Naked Snake is also a great character and find him far more interesting than Solid. The events that happen at the end of the game give great insight as to why he turns out the way he does. The government and country he chose to protect completely screwed him over and stabbed him in the back. I love how he doesn't shake the hand at the end during one of the final cutscenes.

Ocelot is fantastic in this game. Sure, in the original MGS many people fell in love with his style and he became a fan favourite. For me, it wasn't until this game where I truly appreciated him. His youthful, cocky attitude constantly getting him into trouble and his double crossing ways made him great to watch. Also, you cant mention him without his famous gesture.

source.gif

My favourite bit of music in the game is probably the main theme.

I love it when you blow the bridge up and the Shagohod storms back up after you think you've have sank it. This theme kicks in before the battle, Snake and Eva exchange a few final words and then you charge into battle. The 5 minute mark when the tune slows done and it turns into a rendition of the MGS2 theme is fantastic. I always preferred how this version of the song ends over the MGS2 version. Brilliant stuff.

Hell of a game.

Loved Volgin as the main antagonist, a rare occasion in video games where I felt like the actions he took - against Naked Snake, or against just about anyone else, really - lived up to the cruelty described by others, and surpassed it on many occasions. Honestly, until the torture sequence started and they pulled the knife out, I completely forgot that we're inevitably going to lose an eye at some point, and thought that that scene subverted expectations in a way which still made you mad at Volgin perfectly. 

Something I really liked about this game, compared with many modern day alternatives, is how Volgin's bisexuality and Raikov's homosexuality were almost completely glossed over, never questioned, and seemingly accepted by everyone in the game, as far as I can remember. It would've been so easy to have guards talking about it mockingly elsewhere in the game, or for Naked Snake to taunt either one of them after finding that out, but no-one bats an eye to any of it, and I loved that. Maybe it's just because of how it's almost always handled way too aggressively in modern media whenever an LGBTQ+ character is introduced for the first time, often overtly, and I feel like the game would be met with a lot of controversy unfortunately if released today ("the only LGBTQ+ characters in the game are villains!"), so it was a welcome change of pace seeing how that was handled. I'd like to think that Kojima wouldn't change a thing if that game was released today. 

Yep, loved The Boss. Finding out that she's effectively going to fade into oblivion after all of this, and knowing that she's not mentioned or seen at all in the future (at least in the previous two games) really drives that point home retroactively, and I loved that. I think heartbreaking is definitely the best way to describe her part in this story, and I loved that ending too.

Totally agree on Naked > Solid, got a much more meaningful arc than Solid did in either of the first two games. Despite clearly being just as lost at times, it's clear by the end of this game that he has conviction in what he chooses to do next. I saw his journey taking out Cobra as quite literal considering the codenames of its members: washing away his pain, overcoming his fears (and his inevitable end), learning to conceal his fury, overcoming sorrow, and, finally, killing his joy. He really is quite literally naked as a character at the start of this game, all of his flaws and qualities on show, and by the end all that remains is an empty shell to perpetuate war. 

Yep, I loved Ocelot too, much more than in any of the previous games, where I actually thought that he was quite the nuisance. Bond girl charm and femme fatale aside, I was pleasantly surprised at the depth to Eva, too. 

The Main Theme is killer in this game, I absolutely loved when I heard it kicking in when against the Shagohod as you mentioned. Besides that, I really loved Snake Eater, Way to Fall, and Battle in the Base, which evoked some classic spy music, and did a great job at ratcheting up the tension.

By the way, seriously, if someone made an army of scientists in one of these games the game would be over before it even begun. I found it hilarious just how good they were at picking up on you not being one of them. 

On 02/05/2020 at 6:30 PM, drahkon said:

Just to be safe, I deleted the spoiler :D@Julius Go play and finish MGS4 now. I wanna talk about it.

Oh man, you guys are making me really excited to crack on with MGS4 :laughing: I've already started watching some of the trailers for it, but I definitely feel the need to switch things up for a change of pace after MGS3 (if anything, just because I don't want to be comparing the two too harshly, and just to let Snake Eater breathe a little more in my head), so I'm going to try to tackle a shorter game or two before diving into MGS4 I think :p and this coming weekend with the bank holiday this Friday is a three-day weekend, so that might be a good time to start... :grin:

Also, I realise that I didn't actually get to share my thoughts on the first game that much in this thread, but I do get into it during my April update in the Gaming Diary thread, if anyone's interested in knowing how much I enjoyed that! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1