NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Still no word on the sequel. :sad:

They are looking at a platform change which means either Vita or Steam most likely.

Trails in the Sky is very good once it gets going, but it takes about half the game before the story starts to get interesting. Very well-written (and well-translated), though.

Still no word on the sequel. :sad:

I hear that it's all about the story/characters and that the gameplay is pretty average with nothing really that noteworthy about it; and the videos do nothing to dispel this feeling for me. Is that the case? (If so, I can see why GAF likes it so much...)

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just not for me. I want a game, not a visual novel.

Otherwise, there's nothing else in this sale that really grabs me. I've already got pretty much all I want anyway (MHFU, Tactics Ogre etc)

Edited by Dcubed

Well, there's plenty of gameplay (though the characters do spend a lot of time talking at times), but it is very traditional. Battles take place on a grid, but they still essentially play out like they would in any other JRPG. There are different elements that are strong against different enemies, and you can create and place gems to give party members the magics you want, with some characters being better-suited for many weaker magics and others for a few stronger ones.

I thought the gameplay was pretty good for what it was, but if you're not interested in the story and dislike the standard JRPG formula, there's not much there.

Well, there's plenty of gameplay (though the characters do spend a lot of time talking at times), but it is very traditional. Battles take place on a grid, but they still essentially play out like they would in any other JRPG. There are different elements that are strong against different enemies, and you can create and place gems to give party members the magics you want, with some characters being better-suited for many weaker magics and others for a few stronger ones.

I thought the gameplay was pretty good for what it was, but if you're not interested in the story and dislike the standard JRPG formula, there's not much there.

Sounds like it's not for me then. Not that I actively dislike a traditional JRPG turn based battle system, but I need something more interesting to hook me.

Same problem as I had with the Dragon Quest games (except for DQ9, where the multiplayer got me into it). Lovely characters/world etc, but the core gameplay is dull as dishwater.

Kinda tempted to double dip on Trials in the Sky, wouldn't mind a digital copy. Plus will be useful for my eventual Vita purchase...

Sony has launched their new tactic to increase Vita sales, street busking.

Just a quick heads up - Everybody's Golf patch 1.04 is now up - 220mb. Check Everybody's Golf thead for full details!

Just a quick heads up - Everybody's Golf patch 1.04 is now up - 220mb. Check Everybody's Golf thead for full details!

Guess I'll be needing a bigger memory card then. :P

PSP eating into Vita sales?

PSP sold more than twice as many units as Vita managed during Sony's most recent financial quarter, new data shows.

The contrasting performances of the two handheld systems were revealed today when Sony confirmed to CVG that worldwide Vita sales stood at 2.2 million units as of June 30, 2012.

The figure was originally provided to website PlayFront by PlayStation Germany's Uwe Bassendowski, although the article didn't specify a cut-off date for the sales.

Prior to the confirmation of 2.2 million Vita sales, the system's last publicly announced sales total was 1.8 million as of the end of Sony's financial year which concluded March 31.

The new calculations means that the PS Vita sold about 400,000 units worldwide during April, May and June.

When combined with separate Sony data, it shows that the PSP is outselling Vita globally by a ratio greater than 2:1.

In August, Sony told investors that combined Vita and PSP sales reached 1.4 million units during the three months in question. Therefore PSP accounted for about one million of the total, or 71 per cent of Sony's handheld unit sales.

In a new interview with CVG, PlayStation Europe CEO Jim Ryan said "we still have a significant PSP business in many markets, which is something that tends to be forgotten".

Earlier this month Sony Computer Entertainment UK boss Fergal Gara said the company "would love" to be selling more Vitas, while SCEA chief Jack Tretton labelled Vita sales "acceptable".

Yet Sony still has high hopes for its acclaimed handheld. Ryan told CVG that a strong Christmas line-up, complete with Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified and Assassin's Creed Liberation, is expected to reinvigorate the retail performance of the new device.

I quite surprised that the PSP is still selling. I personally love the thing and it has become my portable PSOne but I know generally it was disliked in the West.

I think at this point Sony really need to get some kind of price cut sorted or bundles. I mean decent bundles as well, not a Vita and a game. We need bundles that have a memory card in with it and at a decent price. The longer this sale slump last, the harder it will be to get developers on board.

I'm not surprised to be honest. There's games still being released on the PSP and there's so many competing factors that are holding the Vita back.

The sales right now are pretty bad and it doesn't give developers confidence to develop for the platform just yet. Although we can argue that it's because developers aren't giving it a chance, who's actually going to bother to take the risk when they're happy doing as good as they are releasing games for the older platform? Sony needs to step in and ram some cash down a couple of third party throats and fast.

Although God Eater doesn't sell nearly as much as Monster Hunter, Sony should probably try and bag God Eater 2 for Vita. It was originally announced for PSP, but they've gone incredibly quiet about it.

Ah well, TGS coming up soon, I'm sure there'll be some surprises.

It's a shame, I really like my Vita and games have been coming out a a decent rate for me personally. Those sales really are atrocious.

They really need a price cut.

Oh man, it's gotten even sadder. Everybody's Golf Vita (Minna No Golf 6) is getting ported to PS3 now!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487949

Even SCEJ are bailing on Vita! (BTW they have never ported one of their Japanese made games from handheld to console before, unlike SCEA and SCEE who gave up on PSP relatively early. This is a first - and sets a very bad precedent for the Vita's future :( )

Next up, Gravity Rush PS3? (hopefully the Cross Buy initiative also works in reverse!)

Edited by Dcubed

Oh man, it's gotten even sadder. Everybody's Golf Vita (Minna No Golf 6) is getting ported to PS3 now!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487949

Even SCEJ are bailing on Vita! (BTW they have never ported one of their Japanese made games from handheld to console before, unlike SCEA and SCEE who gave up on PSP relatively early. This is a first - and sets a very bad precedent for the Vita's future :( )

Next up, Gravity Rush PS3? (hopefully the Cross Buy initiative also works in reverse!)

Whats sad about it? none of you cunts play it on the on the Vita so it's not like you'll buy it on the PS3.

On the other hand I'll get it on the the PS3 and platinum it again! I play it online almost every night on the vita - a great great game that really is underappreciated by you lot.

Yoda-Flame-war-begun.jpg

Whats sad about it? none of you cunts play it on the on the Vita so it's not like you'll buy it on the PS3.

On the other hand I'll get it on the the PS3 and platinum it again! I play it online almost every night on the vita - a great great game that really is underappreciated by you lot.

Yoda-Flame-war-begun.jpg

Hey! Don't tar me with the same brush, I have the game too! (fits the Vita like a glove, wouldn't want the PS3 version)

Fills the Mario Golf hole quite nicely!

I also have the game. It's just that multiplayer in a golf game never really appealed to me.

Personally I'm really looking forward to Virtue's Last Reward (999 successor) and Persona 4 The Golden as well as PSO2. Odd how this isn't selling, I think it's a really good console and has some good games already. Haven't touched my 3DS in ages.

I'll pick one up when Ys IV gets released over here, but other than that the only game I'm interested in is PSO2. PSP had a load of great RPGs so hopefully the Vita will start getting some soon.

I'll pick one up when Ys IV gets released over here, but other than that the only game I'm interested in is PSO2. PSP had a load of great RPGs so hopefully the Vita will start getting some soon.

Yeah, the PSP was/still is a beast for the RPG fan. I was hoping the Vita would be the same but given the poor sales and lack of interest in Japan it doesn't look good. :(

I also have the game. It's just that multiplayer in a golf game never really appealed to me.

Have you updated your game and tried the multiplayer cube? If not I thoroughly recommend it. 30 player online tournaments with incentives to play, Online Daily Tournaments, the ability to create your own room and play with friends, a great community perhaps we should play sometime?

How long does it take? A multiplayer game of golf sounds like it takes absolutely ages.

Unless they throw rules out the window and you take shots simultaneously (rather than "furthest one away takes next shot").

How long does it take? A multiplayer game of golf sounds like it takes absolutely ages.

Unless they throw rules out the window and you take shots simultaneously (rather than "furthest one away takes next shot").

You play one hole at a time simultaneously you can see the other players shots as you take yours. you chat in between holes and tourneys can be either 9 or 18 holes you choose as you book them. There is also a grading system for online play everybody starts at G3 but you'll soon be relegated to G4 to start with lol. You can be graded G0 but that really is the cream of the crop (good luck with that). Your invcentive on winning matches is you can win items to further individualise you avatar in the lobby and also gain grade specific actions.

Like I said the online for this game is very very comprehensive - Can't believe you have the game and never played it online.

a.aaa-I-mean..seriously-wtf-is-thi.jpg

Edited by Cookyman

"Oh no, the sales are slipping, we need to act fast!"

"How about a price cut sir? Although it's reasonably priced as it is, we may be able to pick up the momentum we need to convince more developers to jump to our system by acquiring new customers"

"New customers? Who the fuck wants those! We need to milk our existing customers! LOCK THE MEMORY CARDS TO ONE REGION ONLY!"

Source

Incredibly douchey move. It's like both companies in the handheld gaming industry are fighting for the title of biggest cunt.

Hahaha.

I don't know how else to react to things like this anymore. :sad:

"Oh no, the sales are slipping, we need to act fast!"

"How about a price cut sir? Although it's reasonably priced as it is, we may be able to pick up the momentum we need to convince more developers to jump to our system by acquiring new customers"

"New customers? Who the fuck wants those! We need to milk our existing customers! LOCK THE MEMORY CARDS TO ONE REGION ONLY!"

Source

Incredibly douchey move. It's like both companies in the handheld gaming industry are fighting for the title of biggest cunt.

Oh it's even better than that... They've actually gone and locked people out of their foreign save files!. If you have two sets of regional save files on your memory card, the system wont even recognise the one from your foreign account unless you switch accounts; of course you can't do that without formatting your memory card, but there's no way to copy your save files to a PC or PS3 before the format because the Vita won't recognise the foreign save file to begin with (meaning that you HAVE to delete them)

The best bit is that Sony didn't even put out a warning before the update (and still haven't acknowledged the issue!), meaning that they tricked people into nuking their other region save files. What a joke! :laughing:

Considering how much Sony are pushing digital downloads on the Vita, it's pretty amazing how they're trying to make it as hard as possible for people to be able to download (and thus buy) stuff digitally.