NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

I am completely torn by Vita; one the one hand I'm keen to get my hands on one, it looks great. On the other hand I can't see how they're going to gain momentum without a price drop and sense without one this will simply bomb.

A few questions for you all;

How much are games in the PSN store, how do they compare to retail - and what size are the games?

Is that Heathrow deal in all HMV stores?

What exactly is the benefit of 3G? I seem to recall reading it being rather limited.

3G - Browser/Facebook/Twitter/Near. Plus turn-based games.

3G - Browser/Facebook/Twitter/Near. Plus turn-based games.

Hmmm. Or, I could simply open up a 3G hotspot and do the works.

My one annoyance with the Vita is the camera. It's fine but it should be so much better. I'd love it as a viable companion to my iPhone camera.

Also, unnnnff at the screenshot feature. I use it pretty regularly for Tumblr posts.

I am completely torn by Vita; one the one hand I'm keen to get my hands on one, it looks great. On the other hand I can't see how they're going to gain momentum without a price drop and sense without one this will simply bomb.

A few questions for you all;

How much are games in the PSN store, how do they compare to retail - and what size are the games?

Is that Heathrow deal in all HMV stores?

What exactly is the benefit of 3G? I seem to recall reading it being rather limited.

I resume you mean the full games price on the store? If so, absolute rip off absolutely not worth it, more expensive than buying the physical versions which you actually have some sell on value.

As for other prices a big range. The are a couple under a fiver, but most seem to be about the 6, 7 quid range. Escape plan (the worst one) is a tenner. Can't complain with the prices of these games (which are better than the launch games).

3G is the most pointless thing ever on this device, especially if you have a smartphone (who you'd imagine would make up 95% of vita owners now). Near is an awful awful application and the rest is nice I suppose, but not even close to being worth getting 3G for.

I agree with @Daft, the camera is extremely disappointing, it's even worse than the 3DS camera and that's awful too! Baffles me, you'd presume they'd be really cheap!

It's well worth getting if you have the spare money.

Is there an easy way to upload Vita screenshots directly? Can you do it on the FB app?

Yeah, you can. I did t'other day.

The games on the store aren't a rip off, bar a few exceptions that are abysmally priced, they are sold at 10% under the RRP.

And Near isn't pointless, dazzy just doesn't like it. And as for the camera, they're exactly the same as the 3DS ones (in fact I think they are literally the same off the shelf components) , so how you could think it looks worse is beyond me.

Edited by Daft

For someone aquainted with the Choze's compulsive need to rationalise any Sony fuck ups, how could blind fanboyism be beyond you?

Yeah, you can. I did t'other day.

The games on the store aren't a rip off, bar a few exceptions that are abysmally priced, they are sold at 10% under the RRP.

And Near isn't pointless, dazzy just doesn't like it. And as for the camera, they're exactly the same as the 3DS ones (in fact I think they are literally the same off the shelf components) , so how you could think it looks worse is beyond me.

But 10% below RRP is still more expensive than buying the physical games online, personally. I think this is ridiculous and don't understand why anyone would do it, when you could buy the gamer for cheaper and then swap it or sell it.

To be honest, I haven't compared the cameras myself. I've used both obviously and maybe the vitas bigger screen makes it look even worse, and I remembered a site did a comparison and saw the 3DSs was the lesser of two evils. Not that it matters, neither are good enough.

The pricing issue is more of a UK thing, as we're used to constant undercutting, loss leading and price crashes. Sony can't really compete with that mentality, especially as they don't set third-party prices.

Game prices seem far more stable in the US and mainland Europe, which is part of the reason the latter often imports from the UK as it actually works out cheaper. In those regions 10% is a pretty decent saving.

The important thing going forward is that there will be decent discounts during digital sales. As the machine's only just come out obviously we need to play wait and see on that, however.

Anyone reckon it'd be worth picking up the PSP version of LittleBIGPlanet for the Vita? I don't actually know much about it.

And while I'm on it, are there any PSP games really worth picking up that aren't ridiculously priced. I wanted to get Patapon but it's pricey.

EDIT - LOL Patapon is actually only £6.99. Fail me.

Edited by Daft

Yeah, I got mixed up with another game which I can't remember what it was now.

Glad I didnt pick up a PSP now.

ORLY? I might give it ago. I just assumed it would be gash.

I thought it was gonna be like some poor attempt at an FPS but it's more of a third person style arcade shooter with more enfacise on the collecting of points through out the levels (of which there are 36) Obviously only the first available in the demo and it has leader boards to see where you rank, there will be daily challenges and online Co-op play as well. :)

Control wise at first I thought it was a bit iffy but I cranked the control settings to make them more sensitive and it became less jerky in motion. Graphically it's not going to wow you but it's solid for what it's trying to achieve.

The characters can level up and I think there are six different classes but I'm unsure how they differ as I have only played as one character.

EDIT:

There is also an episode of South Park Season 12 episode 1 going for free at the moment for those who may want to check out the video feature. :D

Edited by Coolness Bears

And as for the camera, they're exactly the same as the 3DS ones (in fact I think they are literally the same off the shelf components) , so how you could think it looks worse is beyond me.

To be fair, with the larger screen size and much improved resolution the Vita camera will probably look poos.

A good way to destroy a really, really good ending section to a game: A very long QTE section with controls that sometimes don't register and one mistake means you have to start it all again.

Edit: And then to have a bit where the fighting stops, some talking so you leave your guard down thinking it's finished and then a QTE randomly appears.

Edited by Cube

Having shared your pain it's clear you're referring to Golden Abyss.

My number one tip for that section is to swipe as quick as you can. If you stick to the pace of the arrows on screen your actions sometimes don't register, but I found things became a lot more reliable — and bearable — if I upped the pace.

Just finished it. Loved the vast majority of it - just not that final bit.

The touch screen and gyroscope aren't the most accurate - welcome park trophy hunting shows how inaccurate the touchscreen is and some of the extra modes on Stardust show how often the gyroscope loses its place!!

Still looking forward to getting uncharted though. But definitely going to wait for it to be a bargain!

Up until now ive been using the Vita as a demo/Netflix player but today i finally made my first actual game purchase in the form of Final Fantasy IV Collection.

It holds up incredibly well on the Vita, despite being a PSP game and load times are non-existent. I officially love my Vita now :hug:

If I get a game from the PlayStation Store, am I able to transfer it onto a different memory card if/when I choose to upgrade to one with more storage? :)

If I get a game from the PlayStation Store, am I able to transfer it onto a different memory card if/when I choose to upgrade to one with more storage? :)

Yes.

Alternatively you could download it again; in the Store press "..." then select Download List, if memory serves.