NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

The 3ds slumped over the next several months though, the ps3 was the fastest selling console ever at the launch window but then slumped. Ps3 and 3ds both had the fact that they were the successor to the most popular console/handheld console ever in their favour, and sold well despite botched launches.

The real indicator of the success of Vita's launch will be the next few months, and whether the Japanese can let go of their psps.

I'm not sure how the Vita will exceed where the PSP failed. On the one hand the PSP was technically superior to the DS, but on the other it to me failed to differentiate itself from its console alternative. I think what most people want from a handheld console isn't necessarily what Sony is offering. I can imagine the Vita will do well in Japan, and somewhat well outside of Japan, but I think the 3DS will continue to dominate to a large degree over this.

It doesn't matter in the slightest. Confusion I guess :)

Great write up about it on IGN. Full of praise!!

Ouch at those Vita sales.. It's still very early days but I really thought the device would be doing a lot better than this.

Im actually surprised it sold that much given how many handheld alternatives there are these days. Im even more surprised that a few Vita titles charted.

All it needs now is a Castlevania, a Final Fantasy, and dare i say, a portable Souls entry and im all over it

I'm even more surprised that a few Vita titles charted

Really? After all the launches I've followed of video game consoles, I'd be surprised NOT to see titles charting for a new system.

I think a large problem with the software charts now is the fact that I don't think Sony shares sales data from PSN so they can be counted. I would be very intrigued to see the sales figures.

That steep drop to 70,000 though for the following 7 days after the opening 2 is very concerning though. Lets see how Tales of Innocence affects it early Jan..

Can I facetiously request that Sony now go third party?

No?

Ok :P

It is a bit disappointing...the Vita is a nice bit of kit and unlike the 3DS, had a fairly decent launch lineup.

While you guys do say that it doesn't show sales data from PSN, that is a bit of a moot argument. PSP Go demonstrated that digital distribution like that doesn't work well at this point in time

While you guys do say that it doesn't show sales data from PSN, that is a bit of a moot argument. PSP Go demonstrated that digital distribution like that doesn't work well at this point in time

Not really. At all. That the PSP Go not selling isn't an indication that people aren't happy to download titles. It shows that it was completely naive to think people would fork out a ridiculous price for a console that couldn't play most the games that a cheaper PSP model could pay.

If you want an indication of digital distribution you just have to look at digital sales of PSP games across all models which, as Debug said, Sony don't publish but which are probably pretty healthy (although, who knows).

Didn't Sony also try to force down consumers the 3G model rather than the Wi-fi only one? I still don't know why they would bring out 3G, I don't see any use for it and seeing another version without it and being cheaper I would rather buy that version.

But sales wise, it's kind of shocking to see PSP, PS3 and the Wii beat a system that has just come out especially during the biggest time of the year for Japan. Plus 3DS made it hard for them to sell considering the 3 hit combo they have at the moment, MK7, M3DL and MH3G

Isn't the Vita coming out in the US around the same month as the iPad 3?

Lets see how Tales of Innocence affects it early Jan..

Prob 100K-150k

What's also interesting to say the least is how far Final Fantasy has fallen, even if Vita gets a brand new FF game, will it even help? Considering that FFXIII-2 has sold less than 700k (X-2 sold like 1.5 million I believe)

Edited by killer kirby

Fucking tell me about it dude. Although the number of units sold is good, it's fucking abysmal compared to the usual sales figures.

I have a couple of friends studying out in Fukuoka right now and apparently the price has already came crashing down. It's a good thing Square Enix has a plethora of IP's under their belt, because it seems they've lost their touch with the Final Fantasy series.

Not denying that XIII-2 might be a good game (I hated XIII IMO), but all dat time travel-an and monster tame-an in XIII-2 looks pretty good. It's just that.. I get called for being a massive nostalgia fag whenever I say this.. The recent Final Fantasy titles just don't seem to live up to earlier outings.

EDIT: Shit, this is the Vita thread, not an FF thread..

What's also interesting to say the least is how far Final Fantasy has fallen, even if Vita gets a brand new FF game, will it even help? Considering that FFXIII-2 has sold less than 700k (X-2 sold like 1.5 million I believe)

I think a FF title on the Vita would do wonders. I mean the likes of Kingdom Hearts:BBS and Type 0 had very healthy sales. The thing is, Japan is very much a handheld county now. Alot of big titles such as Final Fantasy, Mario and Zelda won't do half aswell on a console over there compared to a handheld. I expect Final Fantasy XIII-2 to do much better overseas.

I do agree though that S-E need a big shake up. The Final Fantasy brand needs to return to it's roots. They need to stop milking the franchise with shoddy spin offs and sort out the development teams.

The whole Versus XIII thing is pretty much a joke now. There are very few developers who could get away with showing off the game at such an early state and still be working on it now YEARS later. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the game turned into Final Fantasy XV and released on the 360,PS3 and WiiU, just to recover some costs.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the new Final Fantasy games ( on doing a run of XIII on the 360 at the moment ) but I hate that the series has become something of a cash cow for S-E.

*hands thread back over to the Vita*

There's several problems with the PS Vita, some of which carry over from the original PSP.

Firstly the price is a huge issue. When you factor in the memory on top of the unit and the other cables and bits and pieces that don't come with the unit it's pretty expensive.

Secondly, if you get the 3G model you basically need to sign up to a service plan, so essentially you've got a phone a bill for your handheld.

Thirdly - the games. Nintendo have usually put different kinds of games on their handhelds to what have appeared on their home consoles. Games like Professor Layton, Pokemon, Nintendogs, Brain Training etc. The PSP on the other hand just offers what is already available on the PS3 on a smaller screen.

What's more, if it's under performing in Japan I should imagine Sony will be pretty worried about it's performance in the US.

Got mine in the post on Wednesday, whooa sexy piece of kit. :D

I just got Uncharted with it (since it's the only one in English at the moment) and it is a very solid launch title. I actually had my first whoooa moment with my Vita last night.

Do you guys remember Another Code, and the puzzle it had where you had to close your DS to stamp the bottom screen? That was like my first "that's so cool" moment with the DS.

Well I had that last night on Uncharted. There's a part on chapter 13? or around that area. You have a piece of paper and you have to stick the back of the paper up to some light. Well that meant I had to stand up and put the back of my vita towards my lightbulb in my room. Move it around and watch the text appear on the screen. Pretty cool :D

Edited by Domstercool

There's several problems with the PS Vita, some of which carry over from the original PSP.

Firstly the price is a huge issue. When you factor in the memory on top of the unit and the other cables and bits and pieces that don't come with the unit it's pretty expensive.

Secondly, if you get the 3G model you basically need to sign up to a service plan, so essentially you've got a phone a bill for your handheld.

Thirdly - the games. Nintendo have usually put different kinds of games on their handhelds to what have appeared on their home consoles. Games like Professor Layton, Pokemon, Nintendogs, Brain Training etc. The PSP on the other hand just offers what is already available on the PS3 on a smaller screen.

What's more, if it's under performing in Japan I should imagine Sony will be pretty worried about it's performance in the US.

that's unfortunately all true, i'll be avoiding the Vita until a price drop, and if how its faring in Japan is anything to go on then it may be sooner than i think

I think the 2nd point is moot since you don't have to get the 3G version, the 3rd one is an old complaint against the psp which you are assuming carries over to the vita without proper research (just look at how different Vita's functionality is from a console?), and the 1st is opinion.

I love Nintendo and I'm happy with my 3DS but even I'll admit that I'm tempted by the PSV but the price will almost certainly keep me from buying at launch and when I do presumably buy one it'll be the wi-fi version, I have no need to pay through the nose for the convenience of 3G. :blank:

The reason why Nintendo's portable games are popular is that while they are big (for the most part), they can easily be played in short bursts while on the bus/train/hearse.

The games Sony brings, as said, are just portable versions of those available on home consoles. They're not adapted for portable gaming, they're just the same but played on the small screen. This is why it won't do well

The above is mostly true and is why I get more out of Nintendo games but still... I can't deny that playing Uncharted on the move is an enticing prospect. :)

Except that's not true. There's Little Deviants, Escape Plan, LittleBIGPlanet, Gravity Rush, Touch My Katamari, Super Stardust Delta and Plants vs Zombies, all of which are made specifically with the Vita's capabilities in mind and are with a mind to play in short bursts. And I think those are all launch titles over here. (You could arguably include Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, too. Especially since it has more features than the console versions.)

And if you're just talking about games that are easy to play in short burts you can start adding things like WipeOut, Motorstorm, Virtual Tennis 4 and FIFA (Which uses the back panel for shooting, awesome).

And then future games like Puddle and Frobisher Says!.

As for what Zech's second point, if you get a 3G you don't need to buy a data plan you can just use the Wifi. And as for his third, see the above paragraph.

It's like you're trying to be willfully ignorant.

I think a few people have said it now, the launch window sales mean very little.

Edited by Daft

Launch sales do mean very little I agree, we've seen what happened with the 3DS and how that skyrocketed at the end of the year. But I've pretty much criticized the 3DS and I'll do the same for Vita because I'm genuinely surprised it went below 100,000 units in the second week. I thought the power distance and the impeccable launch titles would have just blown the competition out of water but that.. just doesn't seem to have happened and I can't figure out why.

I think the whole argument being made about Nintendo's consoles offering more short burst of time games and Vita not providing many is completely false. Any game can be done so if you're playing it properly. Sure there are some games where you really do need more time because of save points etc on Vita, but that happens a lot on the DS as well. Well, unless you spent most of your time playing first party titles, you probably didn't realise that there were a lot of time demanding games in the library.

I'm going to look really closely at the PSV because I really want it to succeed. Fierce competition breeds some amazing games and I'd like a system myself (it'd make an awesome portable emulator). You've gotta admit though, all the back peddling from Sony fans on forums like NeoGaf is hilarious considering the situation.

Lol Zechs.

I cannot wait for the Vita. I cannot wait to message my friends quickly and easily. Be able to see when they're online when I'm sitting in bed. Play actual games. Be looking forward to the prospects of new games and announcements and be excited by what the hardware can achieve. I cannot wait to experience the future of handheld gaming.

Because the 3DS is not the future....not whilst its got its feet firmly planted in the past. I hate the fact that there isn't a single 3DS game I'm looking forward to now.

I think the Vitas main downfall is again the price

alone £230 is a terrible price there is no denying that because the same was said for the 3DS and until its price dropped it suffered. Yes the vita is more powerful and is arguable worth more money but people never said the 3DS was too much for the tech, they said it was too much for a handheld as it was almost console priced

but the main console price aside, the main problem is still price as its accessories and games are too much.

I have a 3DS with a 16GB card in it, thats £190 for the console (after reward points at game) and £17 for the memory card a total of £207 or £237 for people who don't have vouchers

Now if i went out and bough the same now its £120 (sainsburys) and £17 so £137

*cheapest price is relevant at the min for my point and cheaper memory options are available

now for the same with a vita

its £230 plus the sony branded only 16gb card at £40 that's £270

comparing launch prices that's a lot more, compared to current 3DS prices it will not look favorable to any parents looking to buy kids presents etc, hell if a kid asks for one a parent will look at the price and surely question it or wait for a price drop

then theres the games they are the same price as console ones! uncharted is £44.99! 3DS games are £40 in expensive shops as a maximum if you shop around they are between £25-30

I had one major problem with the 3DS at launch; its price

I have the same problem with the Vita yet comparing them it makes the 3DS look positively the better option.

Its just generally off putting, then reading news from Japan doesn't help quell my fears sony has done the same thing they did with the PS3 and price it out of the console race again.

The vita may well be like the PS3 and limp along and do better in a few years, once Nintendo and Apple have taken the rest of the market share by storm. but as much as i'd like to believe that, the PS3 limped on due to the PS2's reputation and an eventual stead run of good exclusives. The vita should not rely on the PSP's reputation, hell they changed the name to distance it from the PSP.

I hope it survives cos i want a PSV when its at a sane and reasonable price, i want uncharted, i want FFX and many others but current Sony RRP and profiteering shops are a concern at the very least.

the short burst point is a bit moot, i can spend hours on the 3DS i can spend 5 min, i had the same with the PSP it all depends on the game and how engrossed you get with it.

There's being able to play in short bursts, then there's being designed to be played in short bursts...there's a difference

Hardly. You're just nitpicking. Mario Kart is designed for both just as pretty much every title I've listed.

I always go through just one text box per sitting when I play Ace Attorney games. It makes the story kind of hard to follow, but I bought my DS to be played in short bursts, goshdarnit! :angry:

Be able to see when they're online when I'm sitting in bed.

You just convinced me out of getting a Vita. :heh: