NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

Sounds better than the initial numbers running around.

Disappointed to hear, though, that the price range for games when they're released here in the UK is £19.99 to £44.99. Was told that in store by the manager at GAME when I was in yesterday. And seeing as the likes of Uncharted have a confirmed European price of 49.99Euros when it launches, looks it'll be priced at the top end which I'm sure many of us, not just me, would consider too expensive for a handheld title. Hell, even the £37.99/£39.99 for 3DS titles and the £34.99 for Nintendo's own DS titles is too much.

I'm still interested in picking one up but it's just getting more and more expensive as they announce game and memory card prices.

Those prices are RRP, which no one — well, maybe GAME! — will actually charge; you can already pre-order Golden Abyss for under £30 from Amazon. It's worth bearing in mind the RRP for most PS3/360 games is £50-55.

Games will be more expensive at launch, as with 3DS, but once things have settled down you're likely looking at £17.99-34.99 for physical copies.

Ha! 3DS is so fucking shit its unbelievable.

I'm practically tempted to throw a dwarf, and troll the 3DS boards with that video.

Despite being a Nintendo fanboy. TROLLOLOLOLOL.

Once I've got a Vita I'll have to invest in one of those USB charger thingies.

Does anyone know of any decent ones?

I'm more interested in how they got the PSP to last 9 hours.

It looked like one of the Monster Hunter units which have a higher capacity battery.

I'm interested to see how screen brightness affects Vita's battery life. Given its OLED screen I'd imagine having it at 50% would be more than adequate.

Edited by Aimless
Typo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16267938

nice to see Sony are doing what they said and making sure they keep quality up with the vita and not let it become another psp

oh look they are using Japan as beta testers....

great publicity sony simply great....

I hope this isn't a sign Sony have done a nintendo and rushed its release

I think early software issues were an inevitability, as with pretty much every other device these days. Mass hardware failure is far worse as it points to an actual design flaw, not something that can be fixed in firmware, so I'd wait on reports of such before getting particularly concerned.

Being an early adopter generally carries very little benefit, if any. I feel people have to be cognisant of the price they'll pay for slaking their gadget lust.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16267938

nice to see Sony are doing what they said and making sure they keep quality up with the vita and not let it become another psp

oh look they are using Japan as beta testers....

great publicity sony simply great....

I hope this isn't a sign Sony have done a nintendo and rushed its release

Sony says that it isn't true.

The entire story’s hokum, SCE UK PR boss David Wilson said today.

“The PS Vita has had a terrific launch and sold in large numbers. We’re annoyed with these stories, because we can’t find any evidence of widespread glitches.

“The stories even said that Sony has issued an apology for PS Vita glitches, which simply isn’t true – there’s an apology on our Japanese website for people who are having trouble getting through to our technical help line, but that’s it.

“And there’s a page showing standard procedures for powering the PS Vita on and off, which has been on our site since before the launch, which has been presented in some news stories as a means of solving the alleged glitches.”

Believing Sony right now since the BBC claimed Sony apologised and tried to provide solutions, which they didn't.

Still not a fan of buying at launch anyway.

3DS was my last launch day hardware buy, today's sony reports reinforce my stance

First I have heard of any real issues. If there were any you can bet places like neogaf and many forums would be all over them.

Seems like it also sold well at launch. 300k.

It did fine. Not quite as good as the 3DS, but then that came out pre-earthquake. The Vita could have done with a Monster Hunter out of the gate, really, even a half-hearted port.

Ultimately the Vita sold twice as many units during its launch weekend than the PSP did, which just goes to show why you shouldn't place too much importance on such figures; everyone was all "3DS is doomed!" a few months ago.

Vita software, memory card and accessory European pricing

Software

Uncharted: Golden Abyss – €49.99/£44.99/$69.95 AUD/$89.95 NZD

ModNation Racers: Road Trip – €39.99/£34.99/$54.95 AUD/$69.95 NZD

Everybody’s Golf – €39.99/£34.99/$54.95 AUD/$69.95 NZD

WipEout 2048 – €39.99/£34.99/$54.95 AUD/$69.95 NZD

Unit 13 – €39.99/£34.99/$54.95 AUD/$69.95 NZD

Little Deviants – €29.99/£24.99/$39.95 AUD/$54.95 NZD

Reality Fighters – €29.99/£24.99/$39.95 AUD/$54.95 NZD

Memory

4Gb Memory Card – €19.99/£17.99/$26.95 AUD/$34.95 NZD

8Gb Memory Card – €34.99/£31.99/$44.95 AUD/$59.95 NZD

16Gb Memory Card – €49.99/£44.99/$64.95 AUD/$84.95 NZD

Accessories

AC adaptor – €9.99/£8.99/$12.95 AUD/$16.95 NZD

Portable charger – €49.99/£44.99/$64.95 AUD/$84.95 NZD

USB cable – €9.99/£8.99/$12.95 AUD/$16.95 NZD

In-ear headset – €19.99/£17.99/$26.95 AUD/$34.95 NZD

Starter kit – €24.99/ £21.99/$34.95 AUD/$44.95 NZD

Travel kit – €29.99/ £25.99/$39.95 AUD/$49.95 NZD

The price for games seems pretty much right.. unless you're an Uncharted fan, looks like you may want to pre-order that online rather than pay full price at a store midnight launch.

Have we heard anything about third party release titles yet?

The memory.. oh boy. The lack of a 32GB option, no matter how expensive it is, pretty much screams "We want you to buy one of these smaller cards, then buy a 32GB when it eventually comes around". Not a wise move when they have a digital distribution method.. And then there's the incredibly strange pricing of the 8GB card.

Looking back at Sony pricing history, a lot of us know they bloody love just swapping the dollar sign to a pound or a euro.. The 8GB memory card costs $29.99 in the US, whilst we're expected to pay £31.99 or 34.99 Euro's. What. The. Fuck.

Accessories? Couldn't give a fuck really, I rarely buy any no matter what console/handheld I use. Pretty strange that the AC adapter and USB cable are the same price.

Looks like I'm probably gonna give launch day a miss and wait it out.

The memory.. oh boy. The lack of a 32GB option, no matter how expensive it is, pretty much screams "We want you to buy one of these smaller cards, then buy a 32GB when it eventually comes around". Not a wise move when they have a digital distribution method..

I'd hazard a guess that it's actually a production issue. Some stores in Japan only had one 32GB card amidst their entire shipment, so I wouldn't be surprised if there simply won't be enough to cover all three territories; unfortunately it makes more sense to stock the US than deal with the various EU regions.

If I somehow have money come February I think I'll go with the Starter Kit, assuming Tesco has the contents right. £20 for a 4GB memory card and some fairly useful accessories seems like the best option to me, but then I intend to buy physical versions of games when I can.

I'd hazard a guess that it's actually a production issue. Some stores in Japan only had one 32GB card amidst their entire shipment, so I wouldn't be surprised if there simply won't be enough to cover all three territories; unfortunately it makes more sense to stock the US than deal with the various EU regions.

If I somehow have money come February I think I'll go with the Starter Kit, assuming Tesco has the contents right. £20 for a 4GB memory card and some fairly useful accessories seems like the best option to me, but then I intend to buy physical versions of games when I can.

Really? I hadn't followed up the story, but I did here they were scarce.

If I were you, I'd screenshot that and quote it too just in case it arrives and it isn't as described. That set seems too good to be true at that price.

Can't tell if people are being sarcastic or not?!

my last post was sarcastic, everyone said the 3DS launch sales were poor and it showed the console was doomed (well ps fanboys and biased sites - you know the ones) yet the Vita sells less and is universally praised....?

what ever they are smoking i'd love some i really would

as for those prices of games and accessories! good lord were getting ripped of, taxes are not the reason behind that no matter what the official line is! that is profiteering ! as debug said they usually go USD=GBP/EU which is majorly wrong for the most part and is an inflated price often explained as due to taxes, but to have them that much more is mental

£31.99 for the 8gb memory card is $52 give or take a dollar, since when do we have almost 95% extra costs in europe due to taxes etc?

I'm trying to give the Vita a chance i really am but the bitter taste of the PSP is hard to get rid of and releasing poor firmware at launch & having extortionate pricing is not helping at all.

I really want to love the Vita i want it to do well but its being a real chore to keep upbeat right now

PS Vita (PSV) did fine, don't forget that PSV sales were for only two days, while 3DS was for seven.

Oh come on, the Vita sold less in 2 days than the 3DS did in 2 days, and the 3DS was released at the end of February, the common lull in gaming and the vita was sole at christmas.

It doesn't matter, but please don't try and make out it's more or as impressive as the "disaster" of the 3DS launch.

Glad the accessories are coming down in price. Still slightly tempted, but I'll see closer to launch, just don't know how much time I have to dedicate over so many machines...

Oh come on, the Vita sold less in 2 days than the 3DS did in 2 days, and the 3DS was released at the end of February, the common lull in gaming and the vita was sole at christmas.

It doesn't matter, but please don't try and make out it's more or as impressive as the "disaster" of the 3DS launch.

Glad the accessories are coming down in price. Still slightly tempted, but I'll see closer to launch, just don't know how much time I have to dedicate over so many machines...

The way your post is worded, I'm guessing you think I'm some kind of Playstation fanboy, who has only come into this thread to gloat about PSV sales. I'm not; if anything I'm more of a Nintendo fanboy.

I think you're reading into my post too much.

Of course I know PSV sales aren't as impressive as 3DS sales, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad thing.

Nobody expects PSV to outsell 3DS at the moment (except for playstation fanboys).

As long as both systems get good developer support from both 1st party and 3rd publishers that's the main thing people should be worrying about.

Edited by The Lillster

Does it really matter how they sold relative to each other? I mean, they're hardly targeted at the same audience for starters and anyway, they both sold well. Like Aimless said, it's not an indicator of anything...except that people like to stand in lines.

Does it really matter how they sold relative to each other? I mean, they're hardly targeted at the same audience for starters and anyway, they both sold well. Like Aimless said, it's not an indicator of anything...except that people like to stand in lines.

Yeah! - What this man said.