NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

It has a touch pad on the back and also a tilt sensor an magnetometer. Cameras on the front and back (5MP, I think).

I'm pretty sure I told everyone this a couple months ago. Dev kits have been out for at least 8 months. The specs were finalised last month, though.

That sounds utterly horrendous.

Makes sense for web surfing and general navigation. Even rhythm games could use it. Having borrowed a friend's PSP over the past month, it's actually quite a good idea - it could even be used as a digital R2/L2 quite easily.

I'd love to see a handheld with 3G that works in a similar way to Kindle you basically pay more and have 3G for the lifetime of the device. Now granted the data on a Kindle will be tiny compared to an always on games console but still its nice to want things I guess.

I want that too. Make it so, Sony!

EDIT: You just answered my question in the above post!

You've got to remember, this is going to be a multimedia device, too. The pad on the back makes so much sense for standard gestures like pinching and zooming with photos and web pages. Fast forwarding, rewind music/video. I do think we could see some pretty cool uses with it ingame, too.

What I've heard is Sony have put it there with no specified direction for games, basically do what you want with it.

Makes sense for web surfing and general navigation. Even rhythm games could use it. Having borrowed a friend's PSP over the past month, it's actually quite a good idea - it could even be used as a digital R2/L2 quite easily.

It still utterly baffles me. I can't think of a use for it (when it has a touch screen on the front, plus directional buttons and analogue sticks for web browsing/navigation) or where I can go comfortably in a place that you won't accidentally activate it.

You've got to remember, this is going to be a multimedia device, too. The pad on the back makes so much sense for standard gestures like pinching and zooming with photos and web pages. Fast forwarding, rewind music/video. I do think we could see some pretty cool uses with it ingame, too.

What I've heard is Sony have put it there with no specified direction for games, basically do what you want with it.

Right ok, i see what your saying. Would never have thought of it like that.

Does sound interesting, definatly something different. Might be a bit weird though at first if i was to get one as im used to my iphone and as such doing said gestures on the screen itself.

EDIT: I would assume if thats there then the screen wont be touch screen?

Edited by Mike1988uk

Actually, the screen on the front is touch (at least I'm pretty sure it is). I suspect the main point of the touch pad on the back is as a makeshift R2/L2 (without ulgying the thing up and taking up way too much space there's probably no other way to do them). Would be interesting to see how the two touch surfaces could be used in conjunction.

Edit: Forgot to say, the launch date is meant to be end of year. Although I also hear it might miss this target.

Edited by Daft

I'm pretty hyped for this, they know the mistakes they made with the original and even the PS3. I think they might hit the ball out the park with this.

I'm pretty hyped for this, they know the mistakes they made with the original and even the PS3. I think they might hit the ball out the park with this.

Well given everyone has been :weep: about the price of the 3DS, it's gonna need to be reasonably priced despite it probably offering an awful lot for a handheld.

Given Sony's past - it probably wont be.

But you are correct in saying that they could get this very very right.

Which i would love to see :grin:

Christmas release sounds probable.

I'm hyped for this after being disappointed with the last hand held announcement.

Overall the idea of being able to play PS3-type games on a handheld isn't too appealing to me. Even less if it's as expensive as an actual PS3 at this point.

I'm really hoping though, that the PSP2 won't suffer the same fate as the PSP in the west. Having two competitive gaming handhelds on the market should be of mutual interest for both Sony and Nintendo. When games on smartphones are all the rage nowadays, two strong systems should really help to distinguish gaming handhelds and their games from gaming enabled phones.

This will be interesting to watch. If Sony comes out with a powerhouse of a handheld that promises games currently only available for home consoles, they might take a lot of those considering themselves hardcore from Nintendo's part of the pie, even if the thing might cost as much as an iPad. Western devs might also jump on a powerful handheld if they can just port home console games over. Still, they have no Nintendo games.

Edited by Burny

More from IGN on what they think the PSP2 needs to succeed.

Some nice ideas.

The trophy support is a big one for me because i wont lie - i enjoy getting achievements and trophies. :)

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/114/1145704p1.html

They seem to think from the leaked images that the PSP2 will look very very similar to the PSP GO.

I wonder whether it will be a slide device... :confused:

The photographed development kit was, but on the other hand the casing was supposedly going to be redesigned due to heat issues.

Would be anything wrong with that? I never had one in the hand, but I thought the GO's design was intelligent.

The slider design benefits the size when it's not played. Buttons can be hidden and don't have to be placed to the left and the right of the screen, which will make the shell broader than it has to be. If the PSP2 has indeed a touch screen, then a slider design would be even more beneficial, as "touch only" games could just be played with the buttons hidden.

Would be anything wrong with that? I never had one in the hand, but I thought the GO's design was intelligent.

The slider design benefits the size when it's not played. Buttons can be hidden and don't have to be placed to the left and the right of the screen, which will make the shell broader than it has to be. If the PSP2 has indeed a touch screen, then a slider design would be even more beneficial, as "touch only" games could just be played with the buttons hidden.

Yeah i agree - nothing wrong with the design of the GO.

I actually preferred it to the original PSP design.

Someone earlier on in the thread said that it was going to be a different design to the GO due to Sony not wanting it to resemble it with the PSP2.

However i think that was speculation as it all is at this point.

The slide design does seem the way to go if a touch screen is to be present.

Dev kits have been out for ages and I know a lot of people in teh industry.

There's a chance what I've heard is a little out of date (I don't think so, though). I told everyone here about the 'tickle pad' thing on the back months before it 'leaked'.

I'm looking forward to this.

All I want from a games machine is good graphics, good controls and good games, so this may fit the bill. With a handheld, too, one of the most important things is to have one really good hi-res screen.

Edited by Grazza

That's pretty much what i would look for in a Sony handheld.

To an extent the original PSP did this, but it missed the mark with an awful lot of things.

Hopefully they can rectify it.

I also hope it is not download only - if that is the case I don't think i would want to bother with the system at all.

Heat issues, it won't be slide.

If that's true and else fails about the PSP2, we know it's at least going to be useful as a mobile handwarmer. For about half an hour? :p

Id still be happy if they just split a dual shock in half and slapped a screen in it. The perfect handheld!

Id still be happy if they just split a dual shock in half and slapped a screen in it. The perfect handheld!

you never know... ;)