NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

I think the most sensible option is to own both 3DS and Vita.

That way you won't need to be biased.

Realistically though, I think the Vita is going to wipe the floor with the 3DS. Then again, I thought the same thing about the PSP and look how that turned out...

Yeah i do have this problem that I cannot bare to be apart from Nintendo's amazing franchises so owning both makes sense.

the big big thing was the announcement of the Playstation Vita, although we have seen details of it, but they hadn't revealed the name, and the Vita looks really good to be honest

it's got a dual analogue thumbstick button, which is brilliant, it's got a touch pad on the back, which is very interesting, which will lead to innovation. A multi-touch screen, phenomenal graphics, motion control, thruugs (3GS), wiffy version

Cheers, Rez.

I think the biggest problem with the Vita is the games. The ones they showed (like Uncharted) I'd much, much rather play on a TV screen.

Yeah i do have this problem that I cannot bare to be apart from Nintendo's amazing franchises so owning both makes sense.

That wasn't directed at you, specifically.

Besides, most people are biased.

That wasn't directed at you, specifically.

Besides, most people are biased.

No no I didn't think you were. If anything it pains me now that I can't bare to be apart from Nintendo releases whilst no other developer quite has that pull for me. So I'm not biased in that way and feel no loyalty towards Sony it just suited me to get a PS3 when I did.

No no I didn't think you were. If anything it pains me now that I can't bare to be apart from Nintendo releases whilst no other developer quite has that pull for me. So I'm not biased in that way and feel no loyalty towards Sony it just suited me to get a PS3 when I did.

I'm in the same boat. I'll always buy the typical Nintendo franchises and game systems to play them on, but this generation the PS3 and Xbox 360 are clearly the better consoles IMO.

I think the biggest problem with the Vita is the games. The ones they showed (like Uncharted) I'd much, much rather play on a TV screen.

I could say the same for most 3DS games of interest we're seeing so far. I don't think games like Resident Evil Revelations are a particularly handheld focused experience.

Of course the thing with Vita too is...it streams direct to TV anyway I believe, so it's not a case of having to play it on the "small" screen, you can have it on TV anyway. Well as far as I'm aware that's an option.

At what point does a game reach the point where people would rather play it on TV than handheld anyway? Is this more due to the gameplay type suiting a cinematic experience, or because it seems "spoiled" on handheld when it may as well be a full blown HD experience on TV?

At what point does a game reach the point where people would rather play it on TV than handheld anyway? Is this more due to the gameplay type suiting a cinematic experience, or because it seems "spoiled" on handheld when it may as well be a full blown HD experience on TV?

The definition of which type of game suits a handheld and which suits a big screen is probably as non-existent as the definition of a "hardcore" and a "casual" gamer.

But I'm in the same boat as Cube: things like Uncharted, I'd want to play on the TV with a controller.

Edited by Burny

I think the problem with Sony games is that they are always best played on a big screen. I don't think I played one game on the PSP that I didn't think "I'd far prefer this if it was just on PS3". FF7 crisis core came to mind.

DS games have had a more pick up and play feel to them, and dare I say are more fun. But maybe they'll prove me wrong.

"PS3 can send data down to Vita and Vita can display it. You could use the unique features -- gyroscope, touch front and back -- as a control device for a PS3 game," said Sony Europe's Phil Rogers at a Develop conference talk. "You can run software on both devices and use the network to sync the game states. And that's pretty good, because you then have the processing power of PS3 doing that work, Vita [doing] fancy graphics -- however you want to do it. You're not sacrificing the PS3's CPU to be able to have a rich experience on Vita."

Im gonna need to see this in practice but i love how they're building the Vita pretty much exactly the way i would, especially the ability to use it as a PS3 controller.

Soooo basically it is going to have features like the Wii U concept is which is not going to be out till the end of next year!

Soooo basically it is going to have features like the Wii U concept is which is not going to be out till the end of next year!

From the way it's been talked about by some Sony execs, yes but only in a basic way as the Vita isn't designed specifically to carry out the same functions that the WiiU and it's controller have been shown to do/are going to do when released. Think of it more in line with the Gamecube to GBA connectivity but with some added gimmicks thrown in (touch screen/pad, motion).

Theoretically a PS3 and Vita setup can do everything the Wii U can. And more, actually, given the handheld's multitouch rather than resistive and is packing its own processing power.

It's a bit of a moot point, though. Outside of system level functions — i.e. the successor to Remote Play, which will likely be expanded — you're unlikely to see anyone make serious use of the connectivity as the chances of someone owning both machines is such an edge case. It's possible you could see the Wii U functions of multi-format games being included as optional extras, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Theoretically a PS3 and Vita setup can do everything the Wii U can. And more, actually, given the handheld's multitouch rather than resistive and is packing its own processing power.

It's a bit of a moot point, though. Outside of system level functions — i.e. the successor to Remote Play, which will likely be expanded — you're unlikely to see anyone make serious use of the connectivity as the chances of someone owning both machines is such an edge case. It's possible you could see the Wii U functions of multi-format games being included as optional extras, but I wouldn't put money on it.

It might have the capability to emulate some Wii U functions, but how good it is compared to the Wii U, will depend on lag.

I never used Remote play because of the lag.

Input lag wouldn't be an issue as you could pair the Vita to the PS3 via Bluetooth just like a regular controller. Actual image latency might be more problematic, but nothing a decent codec couldn't fix; OnLive copes surprisingly well and that has more inherent latency than a localised solution.

Ultimately it'll be more hassle than its worth to implement, though.

So, basically, they now want to turn it into a Wii U controller?

I think it'll be as redundant as Aimless is suggesting. There's no logic in backing it as that type of controller, that type of connectivity; the cost/price is too high and ultimately Vita wasn't designed for that purpose.

Nintendo do have a deft touch when it comes to flogging extra controllers and accessories without anybody noticing. It's an admirable business model.

They've been very careful not to say whether or not it would be released outside Japan this year, so that's really not surprising at all. :hmm:

aaaaand its been delayed til next year :(

I don't think many people were expecting it this year anyway.

I kept reading about a late October release date. Wishful thinking on my part i guess.

So, basically, they now want to turn it into a Wii U controller?

They probably won't bother for the reasons Aimless mentions. As this is Sony, they're still eager to let everyone know that they could replicate the WiiU's main novelty though.

Although it's probably possible from a technical perspective, I'm not taking this serious until they start packing in a Vita with every PS3 sold. :heh:

Out next year? That's going to be seriously damaging! With 3DS price cut and trong ore Xmas software, they're going to be extremely far behind. Looking forward to it though, the PSP just never worked for me, hated it. But this looks awesome!

As for Wii u replication, I'm with the moot point army. It's not about what is and isn't possible etc it's always about how it's implemented, the Wii u screen is completely embedded in the design philosophy of the machine, so all developers will use it. As a possible limited option for ps3/vita owners it just won't get used! Bt that'll be fine, Sony and ms will unveil their tablet controllers at next years e3 for their new machines

Out next year? That's going to be seriously damaging! With 3DS price cut and trong ore Xmas software, they're going to be extremely far behind. Looking forward to it though, the PSP just never worked for me, hated it. But this looks awesome!

As for Wii u replication, I'm with the moot point army. It's not about what is and isn't possible etc it's always about how it's implemented, the Wii u screen is completely embedded in the design philosophy of the machine, so all developers will use it. As a possible limited option for ps3/vita owners it just won't get used! Bt that'll be fine, Sony and ms will unveil their tablet controllers at next years e3 for their new machines

PSP has proven you don't need to be market leader to be successful.

10 year plan and all that jazz.