NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

I think the Vita is great.

My main negative, but technically also a positive, is the fact that it is so big compared to other hand-held's. Especially in it's case, it's HUUGE!

A couple of negatives:

-Most games (atm) disable network features when you start a game. Which means no party chat, et.al...

-If I want to login to another account I need to do a factory default restore, although you don't need to format your memory stick.

-When I was out the other day, round a mates I tried tethering it to my Samsung GS2, it connected fine and I was able to browse the web but when I tried Near, it said location data can not be sent.

I went onto Google to see if other people were having difficulties and I came across one article that claims the WiFi Vita will not support tethering. I tried it the other day and the Near feature worked(via 3G tethering). I was in my house though. I'm confused LOL.

I really want to get Wipeout 2048 next week, via download from Japan store. I'm just concerned I won't be able to play it on my UK account.

I came across one article that claims the WiFi Vita will not support tethering.

It doesn't support tethering via bluetooth.

As far as tethering via WiFi (which is much, much more common than the bluetooth form), the Vita has no way of knowing that it's tethering - it's no different to connecting to a WiFi router.

However, I don't think location data is shared between the 3G and WiFi connections on the phone. For example, when I'm tethering my laptop to my phone, it thinks I'm in London (which is probably the default for when it only gets "UK" for location). I'm not sure why it worked when you were at home, though.

It doesn't support tethering via bluetooth.

As far as tethering via WiFi (which is much, much more common than the bluetooth form), the Vita has no way of knowing that it's tethering - it's no different to connecting to a WiFi router.

However, I don't think location data is shared between the 3G and WiFi connections on the phone. For example, when I'm tethering my laptop to my phone, it thinks I'm in London (which is probably the default for when it only gets "UK" for location). I'm not sure why it worked when you were at home, though.

So the Near feature on the WiFi model is pretty much gimped?

My thoughts on the Vita

Essentially:

- The console looks amazing and the build quality is extremely high

- Analogue stick placement isn't amazing.

- You need to hold the console in an odd way for games that use the rear touch panel.

- The screen is beautiful.

- WipeOut looks and feels like WipeOut HD.

- Gravity Rush is effin' amazing. I'd never even heard of it before, but the demo was brilliant (even if it was only a tutorial).

- Uncharted lacks the whole Uncharted feeling, it's clunky and the levels in the demo are very bland.

- Escape Plan is a great puzzle-platformer and makes good use of both touch-screens.

I'll probably wait a good while before getting one. I may be tempted if Gravity Rush is as brilliant as I expect it to be.

I went Saturday and had a go on the Vita

i was only there 30 min i actually got bored :blank:

I felt the same as you, the console seemed amazing build wise to a point but like you i found the position to hold it in when using the touch panel really uncomfortable and unnatural, i'm sure i could get used to it, but i shouldn't have to. I think the touch panel could have been done smaller perhaps, if it didn't have to (technically speaking) be the same size as the OLED

as for the thumbsticks i didn't find them too odd really, well i still think sony need to adopt the switched D-pad/analogue layout so other than that it wasn't so bad, it was certainly an improvement over the side pad of the PSP

Didn't get a go on wipeout or gravity rush, they were being hogged by people ad i'd got bored of the other demo's so didn't want to stand around waiting

As for Uncharted, the supposed flag ship game that best demo's the console

wow it was not as good as the hype! i'm sure overall the gameplay and story over the course of the game is the usual standard but the graphics were terrible!

the Demo's were all on a sniper section when i got my to the booth, and although nathan and the immediate foreground looked good, i wouldn't say they looked any better than say the level of detail on resident evil on the 3DS

but the actual sniper sections were the worst, zooming across the small court yard to one of the buildings to kill a guy while protecting the girl really showed off how poor the draw distance is. I zoomed in and the character model of the enemy was really blocky, like bad PS2 game or really good PS1 game blocky in fact think generic enemy on a psp GTA blocky.

Maybe it was just the demo, but if that was meant to entice people i won't, because it really put me off

I came out of there thinking although the screen was crisp and clear and looked like it could be HD comparable, that the actual software and perhaps the actual performance was way too hyped up. I wouldn't say any of the demo's i played looked any better than any 3DS game i've played

and that motor racing/micro machines like game was appalling (the one on your right as you came in the door) it certainly looked like a ps2 game

I still think it may be more powerful and capable than the 3DS eventually, but right now the software just isn't there to show that yet, and as it stands i really do not think it is worth £230 let alone the cost of a 3G model. when it drops closer to £150 then i might buy one (especially since even then it will cost me £200 after a memory card)

maybe wipeout HD and the otherone you mentioned would have been loads better and impressed me more, but i went in there expecting PS3 like graphic like looks and i left not seeing them.

I'm cynical when it comes to sony handhelds, the PSP left a bitter taste in my mouth and i just didn't feel sony had learnt anything from it. the Hardware is certainly there but the software isn't there yet again.

i posted something similar on faceache after going and no sooner did i do that and a guy i went to school with posted a comment agreeing with me, he'd tried it too and felt sony just hadn't delivered on the software side.

And Paul is a guy who is an atypical sony fanboy, i've had some abuse for owning a 360 and a wii as well as a ps3.

I did get some streetpass on my 3DS from a welsh guy though lol:D

I really really really want to pre-order this, but....I cannot afford it. I imagine I'll probably buy it anyway because I'm stupid. I am selling my old phone on eBay...hopefully I'll get approximately £100 for it.

Which covers (by £30 over...) my LEGO purchases this weekend.

Then I just need to live off £0 for the next 3 weeks.

Hmmm.

Decisions.

What is actually the launch line up?

Uncharted I will obviously get.

What else is there? What is Gravity Rush (Cube, as you enjoyed so much, explain in your words). When is Disgaea out in the UK, do we know, and when is Super Stardust Delta out?

What about web browsing, any good? Good video support?

Edited by ReZourceman

What else is there? What is Gravity Rush (Cube, as you enjoyed so much, explain in your words). When is Disgaea out in the UK, do we know, and when is Super Stardust Delta out?

I've explained it all on my site already. However, I don't think it's a launch title.

but i went in there expecting PS3 like graphic like looks and i left not seeing them.

Just on this point alone...that was a bit silly, no?

Just on this point alone...that was a bit silly, no?

Not really since ever media outlet/magazine and even early reports have said and still say its a PS3 like experienve in a portable

I went in there expecing this and to be really wowed by it and within a few minutes i found out that was a poor assumption to make.

The thing is when the PSP2 was anounced and its spec and how it was supposed to offer HD PS3 like graphics i couldn't belive it was possible in a handheld of that size. But i relented after i saw videos on the internet and i started to buy into reviews, i've read peoples opinions and they all suggest it offers a PS3 like look (on the screen resolution it isn't going to be the same) hell even a quick google and one of the first reviews on T3's site (T3 are still fairly reputable aren't they?) they say "At mid-level, a few games into Virtua Tennis 4 and you could believe you were playing a PS3"

A bit silly? probably in heinsight now i look back, but even on here people have suggested similar graphics and my own experience is different, maybe its because everyone said it was SO much better graphically than a 3DS, and i just didn't see that much of a difference

Don't get me wrong i still want one, just not on launch and not at that price

maybe when FFX is released :hmm:

Wait, you're saying you want graphics comparable to the current gen of home consoles, yet the game you're anticipating is FFX? That is so crazy :laughing:.

From videos of Wipeout HD, I am already sold on what the system can do graphically. I guess a decent point of comparison would be to expect the sort of disparity that there was between the original PSP and the PS2, where the PSP was actually more comparable to the Dreamcast, at least graphically.

Also, these are launch games. They easily look better than PS3/360 launch games.

Wait, you're saying you want graphics comparable to the current gen of home consoles, yet the game you're anticipating is FFX? That is so crazy :laughing:.

From videos of Wipeout HD, I am already sold on what the system can do graphically. I guess a decent point of comparison would be to expect the sort of disparity that there was between the original PSP and the PS2, where the PSP was actually more comparable to the Dreamcast, at least graphically.

yeah I've found that odd too ::shrug: meh i loved FFX it was the last good Final Fantasy, i think its nostalgia, i look back fondly on the ps2/N64 era and beyond and remember liking games/gaming more then

Wish I'd got a go on wipeout sounds like its by far the best, but in the 30 min i was there the same guys were using the Vita's and hogging them, i didn't have all day it cost me £6.20 for an hours parking as it is!

I think i'm just going to stop reading reviews, or maybe read even more so i can decide which are exaggerated.

as for launch games looking better than PS3/360 launch games i can't remember them... *goes to look* yeah maybe they are better than them, (supposedly Oblivion was due to be a launch title - they don't beat that...)

but what you've said makes me feel better about it now. If there was more than Uncharted and Wipeout available i'd probably buy it since i just got over a grand in back pay :yay: so its burning a hole lol! but i'm not doing what i did with the 3DS again and just buying it and waiting 3/4 months for games.

now if some good games are out by the end of April.... well thats a different story

Wipeout is an important game.I think we get tracks on PS3 Wipeout HD same time too?

not doing what i did with the 3DS again and just buying it and waiting 3/4 months for games.

now if some good games are out by the end of April.... well thats a different story

Yeah Nintendo platforms are awful at launch. Big mistake. Sony platforms are much nicer. Good support all round. Sony are much broader than MS or Nintendo when it comes to big games which helps. You can only play so many shooters and mario games.

Sony are much broader than MS or Nintendo when it comes to big games which helps. You can only play so many shooters and mario games.

I lol'd. Sorry. :heh:

I lol'd. Sorry. :heh:

you're not the only one! shooters?! on a nintendo platform? i'm struggling to thin of more than Metorid Prime..

I get yhe point you were trying to make though Choze, Sony Platforms usually have some big third party launch titles.

The strange thing is that Sony use Wipeout. Nintendo have a much better franchise yet seem to refuse to use it (even if the best one was made by part of Sega).

Nintendo are far from short on franchises. I think they need to start letting other teams (outside of Nintendo) make them again. I don't think Nintendo have enough internal teams to make all the game we want (and that should be on the Wii U).

Actually, Microsoft could do with using some of their buried franchises. Mainly the entire N64 Rare catalogue (but that will never happen).

The big thing circulating NeoGaf right now is that they've completely gimped the Modnation online mode, as racing with people is now AD HOC only.

Why on earth they've decided to do this is beyond me. WipeOut is incredibly good but doesn't cater to the casual audience, so Modnation was the best candidate to offer the Mario Kart loving audience an alternative.

Nothing good comes out of rushing games Sony. If you can't fit a crucial part of the gameplay experience in before launch, delay the game.

The big thing circulating NeoGaf right now is that they've completely gimped the Modnation online mode, as racing with people is now AD HOC only.

Why on earth they've decided to do this is beyond me. WipeOut is incredibly good but doesn't cater to the casual audience, so Modnation was the best candidate to offer the Mario Kart loving audience an alternative.

Nothing good comes out of rushing games Sony. If you can't fit a crucial part of the gameplay experience in before launch, delay the game.

Yeah I dont get this. You can share tracks online but not play online... How silly. Racer wise, lets see there is some serious junk out there like Ridge Racer Vita, F1 2011 etc. A NFS game would do well imo.

In terms of graphics, the Vita is very, very impressive for a handheld. However, it's nowhere near Sony's "PR talk".

Wipeout looks very nice indeed. Uncharted looks (and feels) like a last-generation game and Super Stardust looks quite similar to a clone I have on my phone*. Which is still impressive for a handheld it's just...Sony raised expectations a bit too far this time.

*Although I mostly put that down to how terrible the demo level was, I'm going to guess that later levels have some very impressive visual effects

Edited by Cube

It should vary game to game. Some of the games already give top multiplatform games on the PS3 a run for their money. Others look awful.

Wipeout looks nice for a launch game and is well featured:

Having said that real test is after launch.

Edited by Choze

The strange thing is that Sony use Wipeout. Nintendo have a much better franchise yet seem to refuse to use it (even if the best one was made by part of Sega).

Man, F-Zero doesn't come close to what the Wipeout series has achieved, I mean even beyond what it's like to play the game, they have such a coherent sense of world brought together by how well tied together the aesthetics and music are. Don't get me wrong, F-Zero is great too, but it's an entirely different type of racer, it's a lot more videogamey, in an old school way.

I like both. They are very different games. I doubt Cube has played both games though which is why he thinks they are similar?