NEurope
Aneres11

PlayStation Vita Console Discussion

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/114/1143600p1.html

Sorry if this is old news or already posted somewhere - couldn't find anything.

It would appear that there is lots of speculation regarding Sony's second handheld system. The link posted seems to think we will see an official reveal on Thursday 27th January.

So... thought I would gauge other peoples opinion on this.

Anyone been expecting / looking forward to a new PSP console?

What would you all like to see in a new Sony handheld?

Also, according to the article there will reportedly be no UMD drive. :o

Sony clearly not learning from the PSP Go...

Discuss posters, discuss. :p

UMDs were a stupid format anyway. They've probably gone for cards or similar.

The "rivalling PS3 graphics" is likely a comparison due to how it looks (i.e it looks better because it's on a tiny screen). One of the games I have on my Android phone looks like an early 360/PS3 game at times, so it isn't really much of a stretch.

I'm quite looking forward to the reveal of the handheld.

I love the ORIGINAL PSP, it's a very underrated device. It has a great amount of software but many don't give the machine a chance. If your a fan of RPGs it's a goldmine of games, plus it has Monster Hunter. :D

Rumour has it that there will be an Uncharted game for the PSP2. :o

Yeah agreed.

I cant see this console being cheap if they are going to be releasing one (which is looking likely).

I just cant see people buying into it. Naturally a big plus for the console would be linking it to the PSN and also having trophy support (not sure if the PSP ever had that?).

That'd be pretty cool.

But a PSP with better graphics is not really going to be a good way to throw Nintendo off the top of the handheld market.

Lets see what is announced...

I'm quite looking forward to the reveal of the handheld.

I love the ORIGINAL PSP, it's a very underrated device. It has a great amount of software but many don't give the machine a chance. If your a fan of RPGs it's a goldmine of games, plus it has Monster Hunter. :D

Rumour has it that there will be an Uncharted game for the PSP2. :o

Agree with this too.

I bought my first PSP a few years ago, in ceramic white and absolutely loved it.

The Ratchett and Clank games were great, I had Daxter which was equally good, Virtua Tennis, the Mega Drive collection, Syphon Filter etc etc.

And there was more i wanted too, but just never got round to it.

What i liked was that it offered games the the DS did not - such as the ratchett and clank and daxter adventure games which were great because of the analogue stick.

Its the same reason i own other consoles as well as the Wii. They're all offering different things. Which i must have... :geek:

As I said on another thread. I truly believe this console has a good chance against the 3ds.

I know they are aiming for different audiences but the 3ds is too expensive to be a casual-friendly console....

It all depends on what they do.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/114/1143600p1.html

Sorry if this is old news or already posted somewhere - couldn't find anything.

It would appear that there is lots of speculation regarding Sony's second handheld system. The link posted seems to think we will see an official reveal on Thursday 27th January.

So... thought I would gauge other peoples opinion on this.

Anyone been expecting / looking forward to a new PSP console?

What would you all like to see in a new Sony handheld?

Also, according to the article there will reportedly be no UMD drive. :o

Sony clearly not learning from the PSP Go...

Discuss posters, discuss. :p

Apparently it will use flash ROM carts instead...Also no slide look as they don't want it resemble the Go!

Edited by flameboy

I must admit i did like the psp go. Only in terms of how it looked. The whole no UMD thing is just plain stupid. No doubt i will end up getting one at some point as i do think sony could offer a lot in a handheld and something slightly different to Nintendo. Will it be a 3DS beater? I doubt it.

More rumours....

According to the paper, the new system will have 3G support. In Japan, the 3G service will be provided by NTT DoCoMo.

Using the 3G connection, gamers will be able to play online games and download software and movies. The service will not allow for phone calls.

The system will also have standard wireless LAN, of course. However, the 3G support will allow players to connect online wherever DoCoMo has wireless service. DoCoMo is Japan's largest mobile carrier.

Separate from the wireless functionality, the paper reports that the new PSP will make use of an OLED touch screen. Sony has developed a new processor for handling high resolution visuals.

Haven't a clue what most of this means but it sounds expensive. :D

Hhmm touch screen you say <strokes beard>...

Interesting to see how that will function.

Hhmm touch screen you say <strokes beard>...

Interesting to see how that will function.

So, you never played DS?

So, you never played DS?

:blank:

Yes.

At this point we don't know if the PSP2 will have 1 or 2 screens, hence my intrigue in how they will approach it.

I hope 1up is wrong. Putting the nubs like that just looks slightly less uncomfortable than having them below the buttons. They shouldn't be at the top of the machine.

Yeah, it'll be nothing like that. At first glance I thought the nubs were speakers. Not to mention that when you're using the D-Pad you're thumb will be right over where (what looks like) the power button is.

I hope 1up is wrong. Putting the nubs like that just looks slightly less uncomfortable than having them below the buttons. They shouldn't be at the top of the machine.

Yeah i thought that.

I hope that it is revealed on Thursday now.

Be good to know more about it :bouncy:

Yeah, it'll be nothing like that. At first glance I thought the nubs were speakers. Not to mention that when you're using the D-Pad you're thumb will be right over where (what looks like) the power button is.

I thought it looked more like a sort of Home button rather than power. Still an annoying button to press accidentally in the middle of a game.

Psp2 will have 3G

It will also have an OLED touch screen and a new processor built for HD graphics. This thing won't be cheap...

If it costs anywhere between £300-400 and has an OLED touchscreen with 3G and has power comparable to a portable PS3 and I end up buying it.. At least I won't feel like I'm being ripped off XD

This thing won't be cheap but the fact it has dual analogue makes me way more interested in it than I am the 3DS. And given I'm a ninty lover at heart that's saying something.

I'd love to see a handheld with 3G that works in a similar way to Kindle you basically pay more and have 3G for the lifetime of the device. Now granted the data on a Kindle will be tiny compared to an always on games console but still its nice to want things I guess.

I got bored of my PSP a long long time ago. Only game I remotely want to go back and play is Peace Walker which I started but got frustrated with (damn controls)

1UP's general placement of the analogues makes sense when you think about actually holding the device. Such inputs require a more refined touch to operate accurately than a d-pad or face buttons, so you're going to want a firm, comfortable grip on the unit in order to work both 'sticks' simultaneously.

Personally I'm fully behind Sony putting out a decadent, premium piece of hardware with a prohibitive launch price. It's unlikely I'll have the cash for a day-one purchase, but I'd rather spend more on something futureproof than half the amount on a menial upgrade. Not to say such a move necessarily makes great business sense from Sony's perspective, but it certainly makes things interesting.

£500.

OLED Screen.

Touch thingamagic.

3G capability.

sounds more like an Ipad than a handheld :p

If the could get it out for €300 euros it could seriously put a dent in the 3DS... I doubt it'll sell for anything less. It would be hilarious if it did though :D

Hmm... 3G? Could be interesting if it has calling/texting support (maybe with a bluetooth headset?) and would certainly go some way to diluting a high price.

Hmm... 3G? Could be interesting if it has calling/texting support (maybe with a bluetooth headset?) and would certainly go some way to diluting a high price.

Then what would the Xperia Play be for?