NEurope
Murr

Nintendo's 'completely blown' its Wii 2 strategy

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter is heavily downbeat on Nintendo's home console business, suggesting the company's blown its chances in the market.

He told IndustryGamers that a new Nintendo console should already be out now and challenging PS3 and Xbox 360 in the online space.

"With as much respect for Nintendo management as I can muster, I think Nintendo's completely blown it with their second generation Wii strategy," he said. "I think they have the mentality that to launch a new [console] they have to retire the old, and I think that's wrong.

"I think the right strategy would have been to get a second generation Wii out and keep the old Wii at the same time, and have the second generation be the natural progression upgrade model."

Pachter added: "... They should let people start with the Wii and graduate to the Wii 2, and have online functionality and Call of Duty multiplayer on there and compete with the 360. Instead, they're actually conceding that multiplayer market to Xbox 360 and PS3. They've always conceded it, but now with Kinect and Move, it's a lot easier for people to make 360 or PS3 their starter console.

"I just think Nintendo's blown it; I think by the time they launch [their next console] if it's Christmas 2011, it's two years too late, and for sure one year too late. So it's over - I don't think they can ever recover."

Nintendo saw a significant drop in Wii sales in the six months ended September 2010.

Source - Gamesradar

Sorry If this isn't thread worthy? But thought it was an interesting read, If not could it be merged into Wii Discussion thread?

I wish I was an analyst like him. Getting paid for sprouting utter nonsense sounds like fun.

He wanted the strategy to be "Copy the 360". That would completely blow any strategy, just copying another. HELLO, this is Nintendo. They make their money by setting trends. Their next console will be the start of a new generation, not continuing this one.

Fool.

Edited by Serebii

Boy, will he look stupid when everyone buys the HoloWii.

Besides, they have Mario and Pokemon.

Didn't he predict soaring sales for the PS3, good sales for the XBox 360 and a total failure for the Wii four or five years ago? And now the only way the Nintendo can continue to prevail in the home console market is by copying the 360?

Yeah...

Not that Nintendo shouldn't take a leaf out of better online systems, but it seams they're already doing so with the 3DS.

I don't know this could the first time ever he could be right. It does feel like the wii is fading away which is bizarre because it's still selling well.

why does it feel like that

why does it feel like that

Cause it's only sailing with a Nintendo only crew, all the 3rd parties have given it the finger and gone on another boat, praying it won't sink

Michael Pachter knows nothing about the video game industry, I've been watching him for years on Game Trailers and the amount of rubbish he's said about all 3 companies is beyond a joke.

Edited by Caris

I've said this for years Michael Pachter knows nothing about the video game industry, I've been watching him for years on Game Trailers and the amount of rubbish he has said about all 3 companies is beyond a joke.

See, this is the thing. Whenever there's backlash against him, he claims that he doesn't cater to gamers, but to investors. And yet he consistently gives statements and predictions to gaming websites, and has a regular slot on Gametrailers.

Maybe he just really really wants a Wii 2 and hes using his job to indirectly beg for one.

I think whatever Nintendo does next will be far better than a ''Wii 2''

The guy is an utter idiot. He spouts this kind of rubbish every week over on gametrailers.com

What people have to remember is the Wii is still week on week the biggest selling console in the world. The problem, if it is really a problem, is that the Wii isn't selling as well as it did a year ago, or two years ago.

However the Wii has sold around 85 million units worldwide in just over four years. That means it's sold around 20 million units a year since launch. Those are crazy figures and considering it hasn't seen the kind of massive price cuts the other consoles have, it's still selling extremely well.

From a business standpoint, the fact the market isn't completely saturated at this price point with this many Wii's sold and it being available for this long is actually astounding. What's more when a significant price cut does come, the Wii will see the usual boost in sales you would expect.

I think Nintendo don't have that much to worry about. By the end of this year the Wii should have passed the 100 million mark which.

Cause it's only sailing with a Nintendo only crew, all the 3rd parties have given it the finger and gone on another boat, praying it won't sink

Not really, there's still plenty of million selling third party games out there - they're probably just not the kind of games you play.

See, this is the thing. Whenever there's backlash against him, he claims that he doesn't cater to gamers, but to investors. And yet he consistently gives statements and predictions to gaming websites, and has a regular slot on Gametrailers.

Ya he gives out advice to investors and if you ARE an investor, whose opinion are you going to trust? A random suit or a guy who has a show on one of the most popular gaming websites. It makes him look like he is in touch with the regular gamers.

Not really, there's still plenty of million selling third party games out there - they're probably just not the kind of games you play.

The third party situation is still grimmer than on the PS3 and 360. It's hard to pinpoint whose fault it is though. There is a bit of nintendo and third parties fault in here.

There is still ENOUGH third party games out there but it's not a whole lot better than the gamecube to be honest.

Edited by mcj metroid
Automerged Doublepost

Tell that to Ubisoft & THQ. PLEASE TELL THAT TO UBISOFT & THQ. Then they'll jump ship with their shovelware and third parties may come back.

Ya he gives out advice to investors and if you ARE an investor, whose opinion are you going to trust? A random suit or a guy who has a show on one of the most popular gaming websites. It makes him look like he is in touch with the regular gamers.

When in actual fact he spends his spare time devouring copious amounts of space cake and shouting at an 8 ball.

The third party situation is still grimmer than on the PS3 and 360. It's hard to pinpoint whose fault it is though. There is a bit of nintendo and third parties fault in here.

There is still ENOUGH third party games out there but it's not a whole lot better than the gamecube to be honest.

Well with all due respect, you're wrong, the Gamecube had just 15 million selling third party releases in it's whole lifetime, the Wii already has 68 million selling third party releases. In comparrison the PS3 only has 63 million selling third party titles.

As I said presviously, it's not a case of the Wii not having third party titles that sell, it's a case of different third party titles selling well on the Wii compared to what sells well on other consoles.

Well with all due respect, you're wrong, the Gamecube had just 15 million selling third party releases in it's whole lifetime, the Wii already has 68 million selling third party releases. In comparrison the PS3 only has 63 million selling third party titles.

As I said presviously, it's not a case of the Wii not having third party titles that sell, it's a case of different third party titles selling well on the Wii compared to what sells well on other consoles.

Is PS3 only that much behind the Wii? I think that's a call for concern in itself, the current last place selling console pretty much up your ass ready to climax with only 5 million third party units behind.

When in actual fact he spends his spare time devouring copious amounts of space cake and shouting at an 8 ball.

I'm not his biggest fan either to be honest I'm just saying that's how it would look to outsiders.

Is that a fact now? I had no idea the combined figure of wii third party sales is so high. I mean I KNEW it was higher than gamecube but I didn't think it would be higher than PS3.

This wouldn't be exclusive only titles per chance no?

Nintendo's first party output has been sublime IMO during the Wii's lifetime.

Amongst the casual building we've seen stellar core franchise games.

Third parties have been VERY poor with Wii, missing an opportunity for ca$h and a chance to engage their franchises with Nintendo-only gamers. I struggle to think of a company other than, say, Capcom who have actually invested quality 'core' games onto Wii.

It will take a LOT to change the perception third parties have of Nintendo. Nintendo seemed to do a lot more during the Wii'ls lifespan (EA launching M+ for one) but it seems that Nintendo and third parties will forever remain at distance from each other. Why is this?

Why is this?

Probably because alot of the big players when it comes to 3rd parties are Western developers, which seem to prefer the direction the HD twins took rather than the one Nintendo did.

I mentioned this point in another thread earlier this year but Nintendo don't help themsleves when it comes to 3rd parties. It started with the N64 when they stuck with cartridges, then the Cube had the mini discs and now the Wii is underpowered compared to it's rivals.

3rd parties would much rather have all the consoles on a level playing field so they can easily port the games. This is why you have so such great 3rd party support for the PS3/360/PC. They can knock a game out and put it all 3 of those platforms without having to faff about with downgrading it on putting it on a different disc/cartridge.

Probably because alot of the big players when it comes to 3rd parties are Western developers, which seem to prefer the direction the HD twins took rather than the one Nintendo did.

I mentioned this point in another thread earlier this year but Nintendo don't help themsleves when it comes to 3rd parties. It started with the N64 when they stuck with cartridges, then the Cube had the mini discs and now the Wii is underpowered compared to it's rivals.

3rd parties would much rather have all the consoles on a level playing field so they can easily port the games. This is why you have so such great 3rd party support for the PS3/360/PC. They can knock a game out and put it all 3 of those platforms without having to faff about with downgrading it on putting it on a different disc/cartridge.

I don't think it's that they preferred the direction persay as they all loved the concept of the Wii. I think it's more that the market got oversaturated by shovelware so proper games don't sell much

but it seems that Nintendo and third parties will forever remain at distance from each other. Why is this?

It's very hard to know why. The blame has to lie with both though.

Third parties simply didn't get involved soon enough. Third parties should have been launching games like we are now seeing on the 3ds on the wii at launch,but they were worried and didn't want to take the chance. Except perhaps ubisoft with the successful red steel and rayman raving rabbids.

and Third parties simply aren't making quality third party games that general people want.. The first party support did so well because we got "main entries" in the series not "spin-offs" nobody likes. Umbrella chronicles, dead space wii etc etc. I know these are quality titles in their own right but it's NOT what people expect or want. I expect if about a year after the wii was released we got metal gear solid 5 or gta 5 it would have sold like crazy.

I bet he was also predicting Nintendo going bust back in the cube days. What an idiot.

Pachter has admitted that he is wrong more often than he is right - he admitted that fairly recently. But analysts use facts, figures and a huge amount of guesswork. I doubt Patcher will be surprised if his predictions are wrong - I suppose its just part of the job.

Pachter has admitted that he is wrong more often than he is right - he admitted that fairly recently. But analysts use facts, figures and a huge amount of guesswork. I doubt Patcher will be surprised if his predictions are wrong - I suppose its just part of the job.

Mhm he said as much. "I'm not analysing video games, I'm analysing the business", "I'm often wrong" etc - http://n-europe.com/news.php?nid=14794

Although his other recent crystal ballgazing did amuse me. "Apple will copy the 3DS but probably be more successful".