NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2011

It's the reports of internal bleeding/damage that have me most worried atm!

Wow, that is worrying news :(

Latest from Renault's twitter feed...

@OfficialLRGP

Lotus Renault GP

After extensive medical checks, Robert has been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand. He is undergoing surgery.

So worrying :( I remember going through hell watching Silverstone 99 after Michael's crash and all this conflicting news about his condition. Great that Renault posted that on their twitter with no mention of internal bleeding.

So worrying :( I remember going through hell watching Silverstone 99 after Michael's crash and all this conflicting news about his condition. Great that Renault posted that on their twitter with no mention of internal bleeding.
Yeah the worst part is all the speculation when it happens. Some early reports coming out were that his hand was so injured he may loose it!! That was terrifying to read!!

But yeah at least Renault seemed to somewhat clarified the situation. Though obviously we don't know the full extents, or the implications.

I really hope he's ok but this is exactly why f1 drivers shouldn't take part in things like this in the off season.

I'm still getting annoyed by the use of the sponsor when talking about the team though, Lotus should be in no way mentioned when things happen to Renault.

I really hope he's ok but this is exactly why f1 drivers shouldn't take part in things like this in the off season.

I'm still getting annoyed by the use of the sponsor when talking about the team though' date=' Lotus should be in no way mentioned when things happen to Renault.[/quote']I don't know, I have mixed feelings about what the drivers can and can't do. Yes if they're under contract, perhaps they should be tightly enforced, but when it comes down it it, these guys are racers, that's what they love to do. And I think certain characters like Kimi and now Kubica, feel somewhat strangled by the tight media circle of modern F1. It's not what they are there for, and so naturally they want to look elsewhere, like Kimi always did his Snowmobile Motorcross competitions races over the winter season and then Rallying.

Also with the no testing ban, they looked to Rally to help them stay on track. F1 is partly to blame.

And yes, Lotus are damn annoying!

Edited by Retro_Link

Remember when Montoya injured his arm before the start of the season in a motocross accident and blamed it on a tennis injury?! aha.

Remember when Montoya injured his arm before the start of the season in a motocross accident and blamed it on a tennis injury?! aha.
lolz, oh yeah! He said something like he slipped on a Tennis Ball!

lolz, oh yeah! He said something like he slipped on a Tennis Ball!

Montoya and Kimi were probably the 2 best F1 characters over the last decade imo, was great to have them on the same team.

Montoya and Kimi were probably the 2 best F1 characters over the last decade imo, was great to have them on the same team.
Couldn't agree with you more!

The '03-'06 seasons have been my favourite in F1.

Edited by Retro_Link

Couldn't agree with you more!

The '03-'06 seasons have been my favourite in F1.

Yeah loved 2004 I must say ;)

But yeah, 2003, 2005 and '06 were all amazing. I'll never forget Alonso and Michael at Imola in 05 and then the reverse at the same track a year later. Brilliant. Kimi in 05 and some of Trulli's performances throughout that era are amazing; I still rate jarno's pole at Monaco (2004?) as the best pole position lap i've ever seen.

I dunno, I preferred 2000 as a season though, mainly because Mika vs Michael was a match made in heaven.

Man those V10 cars just flew!! They looked so incredible!

Brilliant Lap!! :D

'05 was just incredible!

Damn that '05 McLaren for always braking, Kimi had that pole lap, but then the car broke!

I remember it being such an incredible lap, taking pole from Michael at the last minute by a couple of tenths!

Kimi had some sensational poles, that always stunned the commentators... And not forgetting his first ever qually (so early on Martin doesn't know how to properly pronounce his name)...

Oh god, I appologise, damn you Goron for making me go off on a Kimi rant. :p

[but youtube pole laps in Austria '03, Silverstone '04, Imola '05 etc... ;)]

Edited by Retro_Link

I don't know, I have mixed feelings about what the drivers can and can't do. Yes if they're under contract, perhaps they should be tightly enforced, but when it comes down it it, these guys are racers, that's what they love to do. And I think certain characters like Kimi and now Kubica, feel somewhat strangled by the tight media circle of modern F1. It's not what they are there for, and so naturally they want to look elsewhere, like Kimi always did his Snowmobile Motorcross competitions races over the winter season and then Rallying.

Also with the no testing ban, they looked to Rally to help them stay on track. F1 is partly to blame.

And yes, Lotus are damn annoying!

I do agree with you to am extent, but they have a massive responsibility to the teams and fans to be able to compete in F1 and now it seems due to outside activity he can't do that.

Totally agree that the sport should do more to keep them on track outside of the season though.

Love the Kimi stuff, I hope he can get back into F1 at some point. I'd love to see Montoya back to but something tells me that one is never happening.

Those cars (2001) are just amazing. SO much more power than grip, they look so unstable :D As much as I love slicks the engines are too weak nowadays.

Also, looks like im going to Spa for my 21st :D So that's Spa and silverstone this summer!

Those cars (2001) are just amazing. SO much more power than grip, they look so unstable :D As much as I love slicks the engines are too weak nowadays.

Also, looks like im going to Spa for my 21st :D So that's Spa and silverstone this summer!

Yeah, the V10's are massively missed!

That's awesome man, do you know where you're sitting, or have you got general admission?

Looking at just the car I thought it had stretched out as if watching 4:3 on a 16:9 tv. I think I'm often alone in this but I reckon the current cars are amazingly good looking. That thing is ugly as hell to me.

Looking at just the car I thought it had stretched out as if watching 4:3 on a 16:9 tv. I think I'm often alone in this but I reckon the current cars are amazingly good looking. That thing is ugly as hell to me.
To me those cars are how I think F1 cars should look. They look faster' date=' more advanced to me, they look like they've been created to be the fastest machines in the world. The McLaren MP4-20/MP4-21, the Renault R26 are absolutely beautiful cars IMO.

[img']http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1002/kimiraikkonenistanbulmc.jpg[/img]

Compare the MP4-21 to the new McLaren on the previous page! :woops:

The new cars look like complex kit cars, all out of proportion as though things aren't quite right, but they've tried to overcompensate for it by making certain parts of them larger or smaller. But they are getting better, certainly compared to the blocky 2009 cars!

I do see what you mean, don't forget the 2011 McLaren is one of the ugliest cars in history though. If someone said I could have an F1 car though, and I was picking based on looks, it would be one of this years cars for sure

Red Bull look like favourites again this year, but with Adrian Newey at the helm of their car design it's no wonder.

I hope Kubica is able to make a full recovery, his performance in the lacklustre Renault last season was nothing short of phenomenal.

I was really quite upset to hear what happened to Kubica. He's one of my favourite drivers and I want him back in the game ASAP.

Sounds terrible, I really hope he's ok, even if it takes a while. Going back to what I said earlier though this is exactly why I wouldn't be doing this. He's potentially lost his career now.

Sounds terrible' date=' I really hope he's ok, even if it takes a while. Going back to what I said earlier though this is exactly why I wouldn't be doing this. He's potentially lost his career now.[/quote']Yeah I really hope it's something he can come back from, but it seems it's just too early to tell.

To pick up on the discussion, I guess though it comes with the territory of being a Formula 1 driver, they know what they're getting themselves in for.

OK so this didn't happen in F1, but Rally cars have also come on considerably in terms of safety. Just watching Kimi in the 2010 season of the WRC, some drivers had terrible crashes and just climbed out the car. It's a testiment to F1 how safe it's become lately, Kubica's own crash in Canada proving this. But you only have to look at Massa's accident in '09, or Harry Surtees who was struck on the head by that rogue tyre to see the danger. And yet at the end of the day they still all choose to get back in the cars.

For Kubica I guess there was no difference between entering this Rally as every F1 race he goes into, he's just doing what he loves to do.

But yes, you could always argue, his current career is in F1, so that should have been his priority, especially so close to the start of the season.

Edited by Retro_Link