NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2011

I guess Red Bull having their own team played a part :heh:
Well yes :heh:' date=' but I don't think this colour scheme had much to do with Red Bull? who were only a smaller sponsor back in these days...

[img']http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9929/sauber2001.jpg[/img]

I like the look of the Renault, though I hope they get stopped from using the sponsor name or else do crap next year.
This whole Lotus battle is really bugging me, Lotus just storming in the way they have and basically, along with the car companies owners, wanting to dis-accociate themselves with everything Team Lotus have worked so hard for has pissed me right off.
The Lotus looks good, hopefully they can move up the grid a little next year, be nice to see them do battle with some of the more established teams.
Indeed it would.
When does the testing start? Really looking forward to seeing how the teams compare against each other on the track.
Testing starts tomorrow!! With some cars launching tomorrow, and some teams using last years car for the first tests.

Circuit de Valencia Ricardo Tormo, Spain 1st-3rd February 2011

Jerez, Spain 10-13th February 2011

Circuit de Catalunya, Spain 18th-21st February 2011

Bahrain International Circuit, Bahrain 3rd-6th March 2011

Also this is apparently the new Mercedes. Looks pretty nice from that angle.

auto.jpg

Gone back to the traditional air box.

Not a fan of the numbers stuck all over it! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Actually you're right, doesn't look like it was overly Red Bull themed, works very well. I'd prefer that Sauber to the one we have now.

The Lotus thing is definitely ridiculous, I'm going to protest it by not buying any of their cars ever again (until 2013 when I am absolutely buying one of their cars).

Glad testing is tomorrow, though I think due to timezones it will all be over by the time I wake up.

Mercedes MGP W02

339nfra.jpg

mercphotocooper.jpg

img0086gf.jpg

1054219962253910122011.jpg

Beatiful car!

Love the new livery! it's more of a Silver, and the Petronas Blue blends nicely.

Although the nose is a bit ugly, but it looks like it means business!!

Hope Rosberg (if he can work the Pirellis) puts in a good fight for WDC 2011!! :D

You've had your time Schumi! ;)

--------------------

Testing Underway and already...

@eddstrawf1

Red Flag! Rosberg stops on start/finish in the Merc.

:nono: *facepalm*

Was a Hydraulics problem apparently.

--------------------

Toro Rosso STR6

234133591.jpg

torostr6jl20111.jpg

Nice enough looking car.

--------------------

Interim Williams FW33

With Williams' customary livery.

fw33photocooper.jpg

barrwill20112v.jpg

barrwillvale20115.jpg

It's such a lovely livery though! Apparently this year livery is going to be retro inspired! :D

People are wondering how there's so little to the car, the elegant sidepods, and also how the they've managed to package up the rear of the car so tightly...

234164193.jpg

Apparently the rear has a bit of Red Bull about it!

I really hope this can be a good year for Williams, they more than deserve it!

--------------------

Ferrari testing pics...

alonferrvale20112.jpg

4951test8.jpg

3478test6.jpg

Biggest test 'antenna' thing ever?... Maybe it runs on overhead cables! :D

Best looking Ferrari since the F2007 though.

Edited by Retro_Link

I do like the Williams, so deliciously sleek. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

Wow that Williams does look really nice!

Weren't McLaren due to unveil their new car today?

EDIT - NVM, seen on their site it's in 3 days

Can't really make out anything regarding the moveable rear wing? I mean I assume that It would be something to do with the rear spoiler.
Here you go, Sauber's moveable rear wing in action today:

Also, Renault have a Front Exiting Exhaust!!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/02/01/renaults-radical-front-exit-exhausts-pictured/

The Renault R31 has been pictured sporting a radical exhaust arrangement.

The R31′s exhausts point out of the front of the sidepods, directing hot air underneath the car to improve the performance of the diffuser.

470x312xJLE0970-470x312.jpg.pagespeed.ic.l0FeITxejn.jpg

-------------------------

Red Bull RB7

redb2011.jpg

qFPsWl.jpg

img0050vs.jpg

I hate them for keeping the shark fin (as much is allowed by the rules), but I'm now surprised that more teams haven't! But then I guess they've just evolved the best car out there!

Edited by Retro_Link

Loving the look of the Mercedes and Williams. Having said that though all of the cars so far are looking nice. Seems like the new rules have allowed some very nice shapes that seem to be working well.

Surprised by just how much the rear wings move. I have a feeling that thing is going to be the cause of some huge crashes this year.

Surprised by just how much the rear wings move. I have a feeling that thing is going to be the cause of some huge crashes this year.
Yeah it's surprised me aswell! It looks like the chages are quite dramatic instead of gradual.

I'm blown away by the Renault Lotus exhaust, bloody genius! If it works well then the other teams are in trouble as chassis' are homologenised (spelling?!).

Also, looks like im going to Silverstone for the weekend :)

Also, looks like im going to Silverstone for the weekend :)
Have you got seats booked, or a general admission?

If it's general admission I suggest getting there pretty damn early to make sure of a good viewing place. Luckily when I went I had a Club Silverstone membership that year, so got to watch it from their members area... even then I had to fight my way to the front.

Apparently Heikki is loving the new Lotus, saying it's a huge step forward! and well done to everyone!

kova_lotu_vale_2011-4.jpg

Have to say, I'm loving the livery!

--------------------

:woops:

Edited by Retro_Link

Genuinely one of the funniest videos i've ever seen.

'............To your right Jenson!'

Genuinely one of the funniest videos i've ever seen.

'............To your right Jenson!'

"Bet someone sits right in front of us!"

When I watch those I always imagine what it would be like if Kimi had signed instead of Button. The word "awkward" springs to mind quite a lot.

When I watch those I always imagine what it would be like if Kimi had signed instead of Button. The word "awkward" springs to mind quite a lot.
haha, yeah I think it's safe to say they wouldn't have teamed up for the British market. Lewis would have just done the UK ads. But whilst we're wondering...

It actually looks like he's just woken up. Like they've literally found him sitting there asleep and just said "Fuck it, just shake him awake and Juan, just work with whatever he gives you. Go."

It actually looks like he's just woken up. Like they've literally found him sitting there asleep and just said "Fuck it, just shake him awake and Juan, just work with whatever he gives you. Go."
haha yeah, He's basically The Stig. :p

Born to race and just sleeps all times in between.

He did make some decent ads though. I love how Mclaren/Mercedes just played off his two character traits the whole time though. Silent & Fast!

etc... etc...

Gorgeous.

Though my current background is (and has been for months) the image that was taken of Fernando Alonso winning in Korea as it's approaching darkness with him just being adored by them all. I see that and i think 'epic'.

2231_MP4-26_Side.jpg

Presenting the MP4-26. Note the unusual air intake at the top and L-shaped side pods.

470x264xmcl26_7-470x264.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QpgCjcwapI.jpg

mcl26_6-470x264.jpg

470x264xmcl26_12-470x264.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pen9VSNH0O.jpg

Certainly looks clever enough. Can't wait to see it prove it's credentials.

Edited by gaggle64

Though my current background is (and has been for months) the image that was taken of Fernando Alonso winning in Korea as it's approaching darkness with him just being adored by them all. I see that and i think 'epic'.

If this is the image I'm thinking of then it's absolutely amazing, I've been trying to find it online - got a link or a copy you could put up here? I want it too!

From front on that McLaren looks awful in my opinion, that sidepod shape is nasty. It just looks unnatural to me. As a long time non-fan of the team I hope they are really slow. It's always good when these 'revolutionary' cars turn out to be stupid instead.

If this is the image I'm thinking of then it's absolutely amazing' date=' I've been trying to find it online - got a link or a copy you could put up here? I want it too!

From front on that McLaren looks awful in my opinion, that sidepod shape is nasty. It just looks unnatural to me. As a long time non-fan of the team I hope they are really slow. It's always good when these 'revolutionary' cars turn out to be stupid instead.[/quote']I assume it'll be this awesome picture...

mviz5k.jpg

The reason for the design of the McLaren...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89288

McLaren explains U-shaped sidepods

McLaren has revealed that the importance of getting as much clean air as possible over the lower plane of the rear wing was the catalyst for the radical sidepod design on its new MP4-26.

The Woking-based outfit caused a stir on Friday when its new 2011 challenger featured some innovative design concepts - especially the raised U-shape sidepods.

McLaren technical director Paddy Lowe said the team had pushed so hard in this area of the car design because it wanted to recover a lot of the downforce lost due to the ban on double diffusers.

"I think there are some novel features on the car – the long wheelbase and U-shaped sidepods are probably the most obvious examples," said Lowe. "The thinking behind that is to feed as much good-quality air as possible to the rear-lower main plane and the floor of the car. We want to get the rear-end working as well as possible following the loss of performance caused by the banning of the double-diffuser."

I'm just glad to see any innovation in F1 these days [you know it'll likely get copied, hope it works for them!

They also say they have secrets on their new car still hidden, and that they might consider the forward exhausts.

The McLaren looks like one mighty front wing aswell!

I have to say that is a pretty good shot. It's uncanny how similar it is to the then-already released box art of the video game.

Kubica's in high-speed Rally crash/accident!! :hmm:

STATEMENT ON ROBERT KUBICA

Lotus Renault GP driver, Robert Kubica, suffered an accident at high speed this

morning while competing in the Ronde di Andora Rally.The driver was airlifted to

Pietra Ligure Hospital, where he is currently undergoing medical checks. His co-driver

is fine.Lotus Renault GP will issue another statement as soon as more information

is known about Robert’s condition.

normal14d.jpg

108621--40491371-m750x740-u7d2e2.jpg

c27photogallery3931grou.jpg

c27photogallery3931grou.jpg

You can see the damage to the inside of the car on the drivers side of the cockpit.

Apparently the car slid on wet asphault, smashed into an armco, and went into a church wall or something.

He was airlifted to hospital.

There's a lot of conflicting reports coming out about his injuries atm, and some saying his year is over, some saying his career is over.

The latest on his injuries from Italian TV

Kubica will now undergo a delicate operation on his right hand from the primary center of hand surgery Ospedale San Paolo di Savona Igor Rossello. In addition to the hand, doctors have found a vast internal bleeding, as well as a fractured femur, which is why the conditions of the pilot are still considered very serious.

There's a press conference scheduled, but it's been put back, possibly because he's being operated on.

My PRAYERS AND BEST WISHES go out to Robert!!

Edited by Retro_Link

BBC Sport saying suffered fractures to his left arm and left leg.

Fucking hell, that's just terrible terrible news. This year looked... well promising from what we saw in the practices. The Renault seemed to be competitive ( I know early days yet) and there's no doubting how good a driver he is. Just feel things may of gone well for him this season.

I hope that this isn't career ending as some of the reports are saying, Would be such a huge loss of talent.

I can't believe it!

Honestly thought this would be his season and maybe get a couple of wins before jumping to Ferrari/Red Bull for 2012. Eugh, i'm worried :( Hope he's alright, apparently he's got a fractured arm and leg.