NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2011

Incredible. Cheers for sharing that retro :) Was their a screen near where you were sitting? And did you use one of those things that costs about £70 for the weekend that gives you live commentary and various onboards of different drivers? Used one at silverstone, just fantastic pieces of equipment.

You mentioned it was a family trip, are they F1 too? I've tried to persuade girlfriends in the past to get into it but they always say no :'(

Also that was an amazing pic of Schumacher-Lewis you got. Undoubtedly one of the best modern defensive drives.

Cheers guys!

Incredible. Cheers for sharing that retro :) Was their a screen near where you were sitting? And did you use one of those things that costs about £70 for the weekend that gives you live commentary and various onboards of different drivers? Used one at silverstone, just fantastic pieces of equipment.

You mentioned it was a family trip, are they F1 too? I've tried to persuade girlfriends in the past to get into it but they always say no :'(

Also that was an amazing pic of Schumacher-Lewis you got. Undoubtedly one of the best modern defensive drives.

Yep there was a screen opposite our seats so we could kinda keep track of what was going on.

Didn't get a Fan Vision/Kangaroo TV thing. We did ask at the stand about them, but in the end we decided not too because we thought, well we're gonna watch it on iPlayer as soon as we get back anyway, so might aswell just get a different experience of just watching it live... plus it would have been 1 between 3, and I'd pretty run out of spending money anyway, so! :p

But yeah they're a really great piece of kit!

Yeah my Sister absolutely loves F1, which is great! and My Mum enjoys it too.

We were talking about going to a race abroad for the first time, and decided to turn it into a holiday aswell, and Italy seemed the perfect choice!

Was a fantastic race between Lewis and Michael... they're so close in that pic it's crazy! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Wow Retro that is awesome. Very jealous of you :p

Got off to a great start too sitting next to Jenson's mechanic.

The pictures are incredible, I can only imagine the excitement of watching the start of the race and the hearing the roar of the engines as they start.

I've managed to start getting my girlfriend into Formula 1 now, this season she's actually watched 2 quali's and 2 races, so there's hope I can interest her into going to watch one at some point.

As I've said before I'd like to do Monaco, and do what you did by turning it into a holiday as-well as a race weekend.

looks like you had a brilliant time though dude!

meeting Jake, getting a hand on the shoulder for Lewis. lucky git!

Wow Retro that is awesome. Very jealous of you :p

Got off to a great start too sitting next to Jenson's mechanic.

The pictures are incredible, I can only imagine the excitement of watching the start of the race and the hearing the roar of the engines as they start.

I've managed to start getting my girlfriend into Formula 1 now, this season she's actually watched 2 quali's and 2 races, so there's hope I can interest her into going to watch one at some point.

As I've said before I'd like to do Monaco, and do what you did by turning it into a holiday as-well as a race weekend.

looks like you had a brilliant time though dude!

meeting Jake, getting a hand on the shoulder for Lewis. lucky git!

Monaco?! Man you best be loaded or something :heh: That's the dream though...

Monaco?! Man you best be loaded or something :heh: That's the dream though...

Unfortunately I am not, but as you say.... that is the dream.

I know it's not a cheap stop, but would love to do it.

Yep Monaco is the dream, and really has to be done at some point... somehow! :p

Though not sure it's the best one for turning into a holiday as surely everything is at it's most expensive and exclusive that weekend? Unless Murr you're thinking of holidaying outside of Monaco and just coming over the 'border' for the GP weekend, that would certainly save you money.

Canada would be a good one for a holiday GP I reckon!

Spa, Monaco, Canada would probably round out my Top 5 to go see.

And maybe Singapore for the unique experience.

Of course, the dream would be to do them all, but that'll have to wait til I'm rich! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Yep Monaco is the dream, and really has to be done at some point... somehow! :p

Though not sure it's the best one for turning into a holiday as surely everything is at it's most expensive and exclusive that weekend? Unless Murr you're thinking of holidaying outside of Monaco and just coming over the 'border' for the GP weekend, that would certainly save you money.

Canada would be a good one for a holiday GP I reckon!

Spa, Monaco, Canada would probably round out my Top 5 to go see.

And maybe Singapore for the unique experience.

Of course, the dream would be to do them all, but that'll have to wait til I'm rich! :D

Would think about staying in Nice to cut cost's a little bit. 20 minute-ish drive. sure there are some taxi / shuttle runs for it. Would love to see Monaco at night as-well as during the race weekend though.

Doing a whole F1 season would be incredible. what a year that would be.

Cool! sounds like you're already putting a bit of a plan together for it!

Is this something you're realistically looking at doing within the next couple of years?

Yeah Monaco, especially during the F1 weekend with all the boats in the harbour, must look incredible at night! It certainly has in photo's I've seen, and remember that great Monaco intro the BBC did this year!

Would you get general admission, or just think sod it, this isn't something I'm gonna do again anytime soon (unless you get minted) and go for some top seats at the Swimming Pool, or whereever the best seats are at Monaco.

I think the best thing about Monaco would be driving round the track in the evening. I'd love to rent a Ferrari for the weekend and drive over from England for it. I had been planning to do Monaco this year with my best mate but then moving over to the US got in the way.

Sounds like you had an awesome time at Monza though, very jealous. At some point I really really need to actually go to a race.

Cool! sounds like you're already putting a bit of a plan together for it!

Is this something you're realistically looking at doing within the next couple of years?

Yeah Monaco, especially during the F1 weekend with all the boats in the harbour, must look incredible at night! It certainly has in photo's I've seen, and remember that great Monaco intro the BBC did this year!

Would you get general admission, or just think sod it, this isn't something I'm gonna do again anytime soon (unless you get minted) and go for some top seats at the Swimming Pool, or whereever the best seats are at Monaco.

Most defiantly a realistic thing in the next couple of years. Next year if all goes to plan me and my girlfriend are moving to a new house, so think that'll be a write off.

But it is something I'd seriously consider doing post house moving / settled into the house.

weather it would be with my girlfriend or with friends is a different thing. I'm sure I could sell it to her as a holiday with the added bonus of F1 for me :p

plus she has said Monaco looks stunning when I've showed her it during small 'I'd Like to go here' Conversations...

as for admission, it's tough to call, part of me would love to just say fuck it, lets go all out, but by doing that way, it would mean putting it off longer again to save more for it.

Seen packages for next year (As i've said no chance for me then) which include hotel, transfers, admission tickets for Saturday and Sunday....

Friday 25th May to Monday 28th May 2012

3 nights - arrive Friday depart Monday

Train transfers from Nice to Monaco

3* hotel in Nice

Grandstand ticket for Saturday & Sunday

Airport transfers

Select your view of track

Prices starting at £1495.00

GPA team (all English speaking) at the airport to meet you on arrival

Transport from airport to hotel by car

Vetted quality 3* hotel in central Nice

Return train transfers to and from Monaco

Viewing from Grandstand for Saturday & Sunday

Return airport transfer on Monday

- http://grandprixadventures.com/races/Monaco2012?gclid=CMGE76HNqasCFeYmtAodPFUI1g

but you need to get your own flight, which is the ass-hat on that idea. sure easy jet is cheap, but need to know which airports they'll fly too, and if this package accepts transfers from that airport.

@will&\#39; That would be incredible to get some laps on the track.

maybe if there is alot of serious interest in this we could hook up mini N-E silverstone 2012 weekend?

expensive yes, but not as bad as going abroad, and in 2012 I don't think I'd manage going to a race abroad :p

I'm hoping that if I can get a decent job (well i say decent, what i mean is somewhere around 40k or so a year) I would love to do 4-5 races a year. Hopefully one day I'll make it big and be able to do every race across the year, though that'd have to be either before I get married (so i'd need to get rich...QUICK) or have a VERY understanding wife...

Currently watching the 2004 season, on Imola atm....

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU5MjMwOTcy.html

That's the link for the WHOLE race, watched a few races already. Man, I love those cars, they sound as though they could explode at any second, so much power!!! That sound is amazing.

Edit. Also, Retro..what do you make of Kimi visiting the Williams base at Grove? Very surprised he's looking at a midfield team if I'm honest....

Edited by Goron_3

@Murr yeah I'd be up for some kind of Silverstone meet up... F1, or some other motorsport event.

Yeah, my dream is to follow the F1 circuit around the world for a year!

Though I'd probably always give India a miss, too risky... I might end up missing the rest of the season!

---

@Goron_3 The Kimi thing... I dunno, I've heard numerous things.

Both him and Sutil have reportedly made visits, and shown round by Williams Chairman Adam Parr, pretty big name!

But Kimi has also been linked to a drive in Le Mans with Peugeot next year (he did a test a few weeks back with Alex Wurz and the team)... something I would absolutely love to see him do... I've always wanted a reason to go to Le Mans!

Some people are saying he went to the Williams factory, because Williams have a Le Mans project with BMW, which he could have been a different option he was looking at.

Also, that he could just be looking to buy some shares in Williams.

If he really is interested in returning to F1 (I forget he's only 31 so could have numerous seasons left in him), Williams might not be a bad place to start!... and get his eye in again, before hopefully moving on to a bigger seat.

Kimi aside I'd love to see Williams do well in F1 again... if Kimi can set a foundation for that then that would be great. They've also just hired Mike Coughlan, who Kimi would have worked with during his time at McLaren... so who knows!

I can't help feeling this is just Kimi building my hopes up again for nothing! *the bastard* :p

---

In other news...

Managed to get the videos off my camera!!! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

Brilliant video Retro. :)

It's unreal how quick they accelerate. They don't look immensely fast on TV, but you can see just how fast they are in that clip.

I was impressed with the speed they were going when they were stopping on the grid, never realised they went that fast before stopping.

Great vid Retro_Link. Really get a better sense of the sounds of the cars too. The dullness just before they rev, then the engine revs, then the launch.

Great vid Retro_Link. Really get a better sense of the sounds of the cars too. The dullness just before they rev, then the engine revs, then the launch.

It's just incredible isn't it :D

And i'd defo be up for a Silverstone meet!

On a side note, Jaime Alguersuari has just released his first album (I'm not even kidding), the lead single isn't actually too bad!

http://richardsf1.com/2011/09/15/listen-to-jaime-alguersuaris-first-single-here/

Anyone watching P1 at the moment?

there was a little heated physical exchange between 2 photographers, that was quite amusing to watch.

haha, yeah I just read that aswell!

Can't take the wait!... the news/speculation didn't seem to progress this far last time he was linked to Renault last year... so I'm hopeful!

But I can't help holding back atm/just waiting for all this to be denied.

Edited by Retro_Link

I missed the first 35 laps. Was impressed with Button's catch-up -- funny to see the commentators say "button's got a chance to catch up now vettel's in traffic!" then later say "ooh if that traffic wasn't there, jensen would've caught up" ... if there was no traffic then vettel would've slowed down! Plus at the end you could see he slowed down loads over teh line.

I thought the qualifying intro yesterday was bloody brilliant, and just lit up my face with excitement!! :D

Singapore is just incredible with all its fireworks and everything! Magic!!

Was a pretty good race, not a classic, but probably the best racing Singapore has seen!

Even without the DRS zone we had some great overtakes from Webber and Lewis.

Have to say I am getting fed up with the stewards!

A few seasons ago and cars were allowed to bump into one another and take one anothers noses off... that's what a racing incident is... otherwise what on earth is a racing incident described as?... it's part of close wheel to wheel racing!

It's gone way overboard now... as it has with drivong behind the safety car aswell.

And yeah, the inconsistancy is stupid too! If Lewis got one, Rosberg should have got one.

Another great drive from Button, and fantastic from Di Resta!

I did fear another Webber Valencia, when Schumi's car began to rise! Bit reckless.

Perez impressed aswell! What's happened to Kobayashi this season?... you haven't really seen much from him/exciting overtakes or anything much this year.

Japan next!! (maybe Kobayashi will do something special there!)

Edited by Retro_Link

Great race all considered, I still really like Singapore, it's still the only circuit that has a genuine claim on being a modern Monaco. It's incredibly challenging and fantastically glamorous with it's quasi-futuristic setting perfect for a modern F1 event.

All sorts of emotions yet again as a die-hard Lewis fan. I held my head in my hands when he clipped against Massa and then watched him fight his way back past the entire field almost to where he started the race. It seemed almost as though he misjudged how soon Massa was going to turn into his corner and had actually given up before that point. I do worry for him at the moment, it seems like he's frustrated with himself as much as anyone for not performing to the abilities he feels he has. A couple of decent results before the end of the year would give him the mental boost he needs, I hope he gets them soon.

Amazed Rosberg never got a penalty for jumping onto the run off area, I reckon he could stayed on track by dropping a couple of places. Not to mention other drivers have been penalised for far less...

Glad Schumacher didn't do his back in, looked like he hit at the barrier at a good pace. Di Resta's going from strength to strength, he must be a shoe-in for one of the top drives in the next couple of years, in Schumi's Merc I reckon.

Once again, Vettel toddled off into the distance and was never seen again. It's shame the championship wasn't (past tense) a patch on last year but the racing's been so good it would be churlish to complain.

I have to say, i'm abit worried about Lewis. He just isn't like he was, he's seems to be trying too hard or something. He's the best racer to watch, no doubt about it, but for a while now he's just lacked his composure, which he used to have. He must be getting frustrated with the team aswell. 3 seasons now they have lagged behind the pace, they really need to give him a championship winning car next season.