NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2011

That was a corking race, always happy when Vettel doesn't win now though I wish he'd finish lower then 2nd every now and again as well. Hamilton was on the very top of his game to claw his way to 4th - seems like the McLaren is definitely the 3rd fastest car after the whole diffuser nonsense. Gutted for Button, that was just unfortunate.

Glad it seems the rules are going back to normal for the next races.

Decent race, not the best, but some great moments.

Lewis did well, but dissapointing for Jenson and Paul to have bad pit stops decide their races.

Button v Massa, Lewis v Massa at the end and Webber v Vettel 2nd to last lap was great stuff!

Loved seeing the fans on the track at the end!

Webber still at redbull next year???

Told not to overtake Vettel. Team orders suck!

Webber still at redbull next year???

Told not to overtake Vettel. Team orders suck!

If he wants a competitive drive I don't think he's got much of a choice really. Red Bull will no doubt be his best chance at the title if he sticks around to drive next year... yes Massa's seat may be an option, but all he'll be doing is swapping Vettel for the same situation with Fernando.

I can understand what Christian Horner's saying, but really they've got such a lead in both championships, I think he should have let them race.

Funny how last year when Alonso was let past Massa in the "team orders" issue, Horner came out and said that team orders had no place in F1. Now this season it is ok?

Did anyone see Vettel on Top Gear? I thought he was quite funny. You expect him to be robotic and characterless, but he wasn't. His brummie accent was brilliant. :p

Did anyone see Vettel on Top Gear? I thought he was quite funny. You expect him to be robotic and characterless, but he wasn't. His brummie accent was brilliant. :p

I thought that too, just assumed he was a bit of a douche (probably just because he is so good) but he was genuinely a decent bloke. or seemed it on Top gear anyways.

I don't really understand how you could possibly miss him being a cool guy, he's been like that since he very first appeared on the F1 scene. Loved him on top gear, I think he's certainly one of my favourite drivers.

Glad Alonso won in Silverstone too, good to see the Ferrari finally do well. Hopefully they can keep it up for the rest of the season too.

Yeah seriously, have you guys never watched the F1 Forum, he's consistantly great on there each time he's on.

Also in his post race interview with Lee when he joked she flashed him.

Nope, only seen him on the normal BBC programs, he seems cool and down to earth.

Hey guys! Silverstone was BRILLIANT! Absolutely loved every session, despite getting destroyed by the rain on friday practice 2 aha.

We spent the race sitting on the hill by Wellington Straight and the race was great. I wasn't sure if being there made me think better of it but after watching it again I defo think it was the best Silverstone race since possibly 03 or schumachers win in 98; there was a lot of overtaking (Hamilton on Alonso on the wet line blew my mind) and best of all, Fernando drove a fantastic race and surely showed why he's the best on the grid. He got overtaken by Lewis early on but focused on saving his tyres, before he repassed Lewis and then even after vettel's pit blunder he built up a massive lead. I was listening to the 5 live commentary whilst I was there and Murray walker summed it up with 'this is FANNNNNTASTIC' aha :)

Schumacher didn't deserve the penalty he got imo, the back end stepped out and he corrected it but it lead to an accident. Even by losing 50 seconds he only finished 20 odd seconds behind Rosberg and all weekend he was faster than Rosberg, amazing to think he finished 9th. I was gutted Di Resta's race was ruined by the pit stop; there were massive applause on the saturday when he took 6th. Definitely a driver to look out for.

Overall, it was a fantastic weekend and I'm definitely going next year if I can afford it. The new wing section is fantastic, despite the fact that you can't see into the top 3 teams garages :/ Otherwise I've gotta admit, it's an incredible track and the flow is fantastic.

^ Did you get to go on the track at the end, or did they only open up the gates opposite the podium?

The only thing to hate about Vettel is the fact he seems to be the new Shumacher totally dominating F1 after we've been spoiled by so many close championships the past few years. No doubting the boy's skills though, he is seriously quick.

What a brilliant Q3 that was, Alonso, Hamilton, Webber and Vettel all vying for pole. Brilliant pole for Webber and an even more brilliant 2nd for Hamilton, to think Vettel is starting 3rd on the SECOND ROW for the first time this season, however disappointing for Alonso who was looking quick all weekend compared to Hamilton to only get 4th. To re-iterate Hamilton's pace, Button starts 7th over a second slower.

Webber is awesome here, but damn Hamilton was immense!

Hope Lewis gets a good start and doesn't get jumped by Vettel/Alonso off the line, in order to keep things interesting. I SO don't want to see Red Bull 1-2 after the first corner!

Tomorow should be a good race, especially with rain forecast. Both Webber and Hamilton were fantastic - Lewis was nailing every corner perfectly through the 1st sector, there's no way the McLaren is down to half a tenth behind the Red Bull without putting something truly special into it. I also liked Vettel, sitting 3rd and sincerely telling the press he'd like to be "nearer the front." :heh:

Very excited for the race today! Brilliant lap from Lewis to get on the front row, hopefully he and Webber can stay ahead of Vettel going into T1.

A bit worried about the weather though; the Ferrari is struggling getting heat into its tyres and it's gonna show here more than anywhere if it's raining.

What a race. Right down to the last few laps with Hamilton making the right choice to come in first for the harder tires. Vettel had a poor day which was great for the Championship, made 2 mistakes which I remember.

Iplayer! Although its probably not there yet as the programme is long and takes a bit of time for them to upload it.

Iplayer! Although its probably not there yet as the programme is long and takes a bit of time for them to upload it.

Thanks, didn't think they did full reruns.

What a race. Right down to the last few laps with Hamilton making the right choice to come in first for the harder tires. Vettel had a poor day which was great for the Championship, made 2 mistakes which I remember.

Yet his lead only went down 3 points, if only Ferrari didn't mess up Massa's last stop.

Superb race today, hopefully this is the shape of things to come in the second half of the season. The top three were all fantastic and drove almost flawlessly, but it was Hamilton's infamous aggression that gave him the edge when he needed it and McLaren finally got their strategy sorted. Great racing and overtaking. Bit gutted Massa lost out on the last-ditch pit race with Vettel though - I must admit, though I'll still fight anyone who talks Vettel down, it does seem telling he was only able to get by in the pits rather then on the track. All in all though an incredibly memorable race with a fantastic fight for the front and a moment of classic F1 camaraderie at the end.

As Lewis said after the race: "Driving lap after lap within tenths of each other was about real perfection" about sums it all up. Brilliant.

This was the first F1 I've watched since canada. As a noob to the whole thing I found it very entertaining throughout - i think vettel could've proved his overtaking worth against other machines bsides the ferrari - however, Hamilton showed that he had that contender spirit, no matter the car.

I do think that vettel has been affected hugely by the incident last week - the challenge made to him that he can't win it alone, that webber has to ease up to allow him the win. He (vettel) is young and learning to deal with it, but today I think alonso showed that ferrari are still in the mix, and in general the race was a good example for the importance of tactics in F1.

Not a huge amount of overtaking in this one. Seemed to be mostly about pitstop tactics - I think I'd like to see far more course-based action, however it seemed that most of the overtaking wasn't to do with DRM - good for the sport, I think. Vettel sitting behind massa for ages proves that his driving skills are still immature. Massa won't make mistakes, and vettel won't take risks. Vettel's errors prove his shakiness in general... but yeah. Interesting course. It seemed, to me a nooob, that there was only really one corner to overtake and one stretch...

But yeah. In general, my interst in F1 has definitely grown over this weekend. I watched the qualifiers as well as the race. I also browsed the records on wiki and now i want to watch Senna as it seemed he truly dominated. Yeha. stuff.