NEurope
Dan_Dare

I Am Legend

I was just on iPlayer and came across this gem:

A BBC7 serialisation of I Am Legend

Forget the rank film adaptation, the book is a different beast. Written in 1954, it depicts the last living man on Earth and his battles against a horde of vampires in Los Angeles in 1974.

I can't emphasise enough how much better the book is than the film- short of reading it yourself, this radio version is pretty good.

It's worse that shit. It's fucking abysmal. It's so bad that it actually says the complete opposite of the book. Never have I felt quite so betrayed by a film.

Yeah, had heard great things about the book, and the film just turned out to be a shit "seen it all before, not impressed" zombie survival story.

(I love reading the word rank, Dan. Yessaid.)

I think the film's great, up until the halfway point where he gets rescued. Then it fell away steaply!

It's worse that shit. It's fucking abysmal. It's so bad that it actually says the complete opposite of the book. Never have I felt quite so betrayed by a film.

Agreed. It starts off OK- New York gone to the wilds was a nice touch, and Will Smith does alright with the material, but the film just gets progressively shit as it goes on. Its faults are legion, too numerous to count, but the biggest amongst them is the hilarious ending. It deviates so far from the source material that you can't help but wonder if the writers ever even read the real ending in the first place.

Coincidentally I think the film is on ITV2 tonight.

(I don't really have anything of importance to add to this discussion...)

Coincidentally I think the film is on ITV2 tonight.

(I don't really have anything of importance to add to this discussion...)

It's on ITV pretty much every night...you know, whenever Sean of the Dead isn't being played ad nauseum.

I liked the book and the film. I read the book first and really loved the style, made you genuinely feel the loneliness which was fantastic.

Saw the film knowing it wasn't going to be the same (like, seriously, do people watch films of books expecting them to be as good/the same?) and enjoyed it for what it was. And god damn I had man-tears when he had to shoot his dog. Seriously, emotional moments.

So I will respectfully disagree with people. Although people saying 'it's shit' is a bit trollish, at least attempt to make it a suggestion of an opinion rather than stating it as if it were fact! :hmm:

It's on ITV pretty much every night...you know, whenever Sean of the Dead isn't being played ad nauseum.

(Shaun) :p

(Shaun) :p

Well it turns out I haven't seen it enough times. :heh:

Saw the film knowing it wasn't going to be the same (like, seriously, do people watch films of books expecting them to be as good/the same?) and enjoyed it for what it was. And god damn I had man-tears when he had to shoot his dog. Seriously, emotional moments.

So I will respectfully disagree with people. Although people saying 'it's shit' is a bit trollish, at least attempt to make it a suggestion of an opinion rather than stating it as if it were fact! :hmm:

Like a couple people have said the first half isn't bad but it doesn't just not stick to the book, I was surprised at how much it actually did initially, it becomes an affront to the book.

Also, poor CGI and weakly characterised Vampires compared to the book meant the whole thing turned into a mess.

There are good bits but that is all undone by what it becomes.

Edited by Daft

From what I remember reading somewhere or other, they shot an alternative ending, but were forced to use the one they did cos 'the man' made them. The other ending's probably on the tube.

Anyway, thought the film was alright, ending was shit, and the monster things were shit, but there was some interesting ideas and some not bad acting (though I think Will Smith should stick with being a comedy actor, generally)

The book, though, is completely terrific, gets the loneliness down really well. So very readable too, which helps.

people saying 'it's shit' is a bit trollish, at least attempt to make it a suggestion of an opinion rather than stating it as if it were fact! :hmm:

See, here's the thing...

----

Anyone listened to the radio version yet? It's good!

From what I remember reading somewhere or other, they shot an alternative ending, but were forced to use the one they did cos 'the man' made them. The other ending's probably on the tube.

I have a 2 disc version of the movie. Disk 1 is the release version, the 2nd disc is the alternative ending with the movie. The one they wanted to release, but didn't. That is the one i watch. Basically, i have 2 versions of the movie. And, i prefer the alternative ending.

Edited by Jimbob

I really love the book, and I didn't mind the movie too much. It has Will Smith in it, how can you not like it?

However, the first and original adaption is very good and pretty faithful to the book. Plus, it stars Vincent Price, so you know it's going to be great.

I liked the book and the film. I read the book first and really loved the style, made you genuinely feel the loneliness which was fantastic.

If we're being honest, as soon as the woman shows up, it's just atrociously bad. But up till that point it's awesome, yes! And I don't think it's atrocious because it doesn't follow the book, I hate it when movies are too loyal to the books, it never works.

I thought the film was fantastic, and not having read the book, I couldn't care less how well it was represented.

Aren't there a lot of films based on the book/ adapted from the book? Why not accuse them of not being close enough to the book?

Just because it deviates means it isn't going to be exactly as you thought so it should still grab the attention of people who have read the book.

I want to read the book though, it is on a list of things to do eventually.

I liked it up until the other characters start turning up to ruin Smith's day. His bit with the trap is great and the talking to mannequins was amusing.

Even if you ignore the book, the film is awful.

Well, it starts of good and gets progressively worse and worse and worse until you just want to dig your teeth out with shards of your own eye socket.

And god damn I had man-tears when he had to shoot his dog. Seriously, emotional moments.

Didn't he strangle it?

wollsmoth1.jpg

Even if you ignore the book, the film is awful.

Well, it starts of good and gets progressively worse and worse and worse until you just want to dig your teeth out with shards of your own eye socket.

Everyone has their opinion on things. I think the film is great, having read the book as well.