NEurope
Mundi

Chips/Crisps?

Cheese and salt 'n vinegar crisp sandwiches are amazing.

French fries sandwiches... Then it gets really confusing.

Ready salted Hula Hoop and mayonnaise sandwiches are sandwiches of KINGS.

Seriously, I'd serve it up for royalty. It's that awesome.

things like this are in many ways the bain of my existence...having a canadian girlfriend and all...pants meaning trousers (with the word trousers barely existing) is the oddest one although i guess the reasoning does work, you have pants and then underpants which are get this under the pants. :blank:

things like this are in many ways the bain of my existence...having a canadian girlfriend and all...pants meaning trousers (with the word trousers barely existing) is the oddest one although i guess the reasoning does work, you have pants and then underpants which are get this under the pants. :blank:

What a load of pants.

Sheer genius! ;)

I understand the chip/crisp thing, but on the subject of chip butties, where does the butty come from?!

I remember being little and being in america and they kept calling trousers pants and I was literally like 7 and did not know where my clothes were in this strange house we were in and we were going to be going to a wedding and my mum and dad were somewhere else and I really needed to get ready but I did not know where my pants pants were but I also had no idea how to ask where my pants were in american and so I just totally didn't get ready til my mum got back. I think. Something like that anyway, I just remember needing to talk about pants but having no idea what those crazy foreigners called them.

Also the whole trainers/sneakers always got me. You DO kinda train in trainers, but as highlighted by Le Simpsons, who uses sneakers to sneak?

I think chips are chips anyway, and crisps are crisps. Fries are for the french kind, and a word I only knew through McD's. America needs to sort themselves out, and stop having all these crazy differences. They need more U, too.

Crisps in the sandwich is a necessesity when dealing with cheap as fuck sandwiches from the shops. When I have a sandwich I need some texture there damint!

(Also when having burgers, whether fast-food (McD's) or 'Gourmet' (Fine Burger Co.), the chips (whether fries or thick chips) are always going in there with the burger, it just adds a whole 'nother dimension to the experience that you can't really get without the chips in there.

The thin and tacky thing they call "fries" lack the soft potato-ey inside and crisp golden texture of our lovely, thick chips. Their ones don't really suit going inside two slices of buttered bread.

Exactly. I wouldn't put crisps or fries in bread, but actual chip sandwiches are great.

Can you get fish & chips in America? I'd be surprised if they didn't do them in the New England coastal towns.

I understand the chip/crisp thing, but on the subject of chip butties, where does the butty come from?!

Butter.

Americans have no right to comment on chips, the closest thing they have, fries, are closer to being crisps than a proper chip. Come to think of it do they even have proper crisps in America? All I've ever seen is stuff like Doritos and the US equivalent to the Wotsit, don't think I've ever seen a proper potato crisp on any American TV shows.

Lays.

lays-potato-chips-regular.jpg

They're the walkers of the US (and most the world it seems. Think it's only us that have Walkers.). But yes, I've noticed Lays never get mentioned in american Tv or movies.

Of course they have crisps. =P

Though I think everywhere else just calls them chips, like it should be. Well over here they're called chips. It's confusing whenever Jim is talking about crisps and chips; I have to think extra hard (difficult for me) to figure out which ones he means again.

And we've had a thread like this before, and my opinion hasn't changed since then: you people are crazy. =P

Also the whole trainers/sneakers always got me. You DO kinda train in trainers, but as highlighted by Le Simpsons, who uses sneakers to sneak?

What shoes do you wear when you break into someone else's house in the middle of the night?

What shoes do you wear when you break into someone else's house in the middle of the night?

Slippers, to slip in un-noticed.

You're not Irish if you call them crisps.

It's a bag of taytos REGARDLESS of the brand.

Though I think everywhere else just calls them chips, like it should be.

Crisps are crisp, it's their defining factor. Chips are made from chipped potato; sliced would imply a very different form factor. It makes perfect sense.

Chips in the British sense are rather overshadowed by (French) fries in the US, hence the former's subordinate designation of 'steak fries'. As such American nomenclature also makes perfect sense.

As for the chips (British) in bread issue, I'm not a fan. If you're going to go down that road I'd stick to fries and hot, sliced meat in a half baguette; less stodge, plus it doesn't come with the same self-loathing after taste.

You're not Irish if you call them crisps.

It's a bag of taytos REGARDLESS of the brand.

189300-taito_logo_large.png

I used to think about crisps every time I saw this logo in an arcade. True story. I've never been to Ireland BTW, although I'm half Irish by blood. That might explain it.

Generally I don't wear anything.

Anyone ever see paint chips? They're rather thin and.....chip like. Unlike Fries, Fries being fries due to their being fried as the method of cooking. A fry looks nothing like a chip of a potato.

However, I can see the logic in calling chips crisps as they are crispy.

Pants are pants, because why not? Sneakers/Trainers....they're all just shoes. Adding a U to words goes against being a lazy American. It's a whole extra letter that we can cut out and still get the same word as before, why wouldn't we get rid of it?!

A fry looks nothing like a chip of a potato.

Because they aren't, they're batonettes cut from a potato. British chips use the whole vegetable chipped, hence their non-standard shape and size; they're recession food, fries are positively wasteful by comparison.

Does anyone remember the episode of TFI Friday where Chris Evans got his mum in to cook chip butties? They looked lovely! He got John Cusack to try a bit, but he didn't seem overly excited. :(

Anyone ever see paint chips? They're rather thin and.....chip like. Unlike Fries, Fries being fries due to their being fried as the method of cooking. A fry looks nothing like a chip of a potato.

However, I can see the logic in calling chips crisps as they are crispy.

Pants are pants, because why not? Sneakers/Trainers....they're all just shoes. Adding a U to words goes against being a lazy American. It's a whole extra letter that we can cut out and still get the same word as before, why wouldn't we get rid of it?!

Quiet you. Your country voted Bush in twice. Twice. America has relinquished it's right to correct any other country.