NEurope
Yars Revenge

Vintage gaming collection washed away in Aussie floods

Wow.... that is horrible.

I'd be gutted, and can only assume that guy is.

Yeah i read that yesterday, i'd be gutted if that happened. Thousands of dollars worth there and some rare bits like the cards and the neo geo stuff, all reduced to a washed mess.

I died a little.

It's even worse than that time when I heard an acquaintance of mine threw away a Famicom. I knew someone who would've wanted that one.

Yeah, it's really painful to hear about these missing people and deaths when there are relatives of mine living in the area affected--

Oh, a gaming collection got wiped away. Err..ok.

In seriousness, it was a painful thing to look at those photos when Kotaku posted them but the article barely mentioned the human casualty or the affect the flood had. I appreciate it's a gaming blog but the article felt a little self-centered. I genuinely do have 2 uncles living in and around Brisbane, one of which we know is alright but the other of whom isn't in touch with the family - long story - but I still worry for him, as we had no quarrels. I'd like to hear from him just to let us know he's alright :/

Anyway...go back to looking at these wet cartridges or whatever.

I appreciate it's a gaming blog

Sure it is. :blank:

I love how the article spends three paragraphs talking about how sad it is to see all of these game systems destroyed, and then at the end they add, "oh, and twenty people are dead and many more are missing, whatever". But then I've come to expect nothing less of Kotaku.

I hope your other uncle is okay, Dyson.

Kotaku is pretty shit... but honestly this is the first I've even heard of the floods and such.

And... as a collector... those pictures made me extremely sad. Like... for some reason I can sympathise more with this than I can with having my family get hurt or something because of it... because in my mind my collection is a lot more fragile than my family. They're humans, they're invincible... right?...

This is shitty that it happened... and it's shitty to all those involved. This guy... I honestly... I don't know how I would handle this situation if I was him.

Not to offend, but to put it bluntly: Kotaku is a gaming site, so of course they're going to put a story up about destroyed game collections. BBC, sky news etc all cover the tragic loss of life enough.

Obviously material items are nothing compared to the loss of human life, but you can understand why they put it up, though too soon maybe?

The last news story i saw on it was about how a mother tried to run to a fire engine with her 2 daughters to try and escape it... they didn't make it. And the cruel thing was that the news reporter stood in front of that woman's home, which was still standing.

Considering he probably never even used any of that, it must've felt somewhat liberating, huh?

(yeah, I'm not big on collecting anything you can't really use actively and often, lol)

It is nothing on the loss of life obviously but it is relevant news to the audience so it is acceptable I think. I mean... It is news at the end of the day and we are interested. Well I was anyway.