NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Paj!

Twin Peaks

red-room.jpg

SO I've FINALLY (after buying and watching Season 1 two years or more ago) finished Twin Peaks.

I need time to digest it.

Has anyone else seen it all?

I'm so stunned, but then have obvious opinions that need to be shared RE; Season 2 that I expect everyone has.

- I hate the second half of Season 2, but then I read it was so "..." cause they were forced to shove the Laura Palmer mystery solving up half a season. Annoying me. I just wish they'd addressed more of the interesting stuff in the second half of the season. It was all like the misadventures of Audrey Horne and her dad/James Hurley's pointless affair with an older woman, when I was gagging to hear Ronette Pulawski's view on everything.

- I kinda hate how sometimes the horrors would affect people realistically, like Ronette/Laura's mother, but then Shelly like went back to work the morning after being terrifyingly nearly killed by a mentally deranged ex-husband. And in the last episode, Norma has no reaction to Annie being kidnapped. ::shrug:

- I get that there's some sort of conceptual thing about doubles/doppelgangers (well..obviously...the Small Man says as much at the end, but it was kinda present from the start). HMM.

- I love how affecting the "scary" bits actually were, and how they were so spaced out, so when one appeared, you loved it. The Black Lodge was awesome. Bob is killing me.

- I love Grace Zabriskie's face. It's also still great in Inland Empire.

- Nadine was my favourite character. Then Agent Cooper, for being an actually interesting main protagonist. Sherrif Harry was nothing to me. Josie felt out of place.

- Let me think.

- I kinda hate how it expected a third season. Really annoying me. But then it's stunning left as is. Just assuming Audrey really pointlessly died in the bank bomb. I love. So un-needed. OH god that reminds me.

- Billy Zane annoys me! He has mashed potato in his horrible mouth and his story felt needless. Audrey used to be all quirky and weird, then suddenly became Businesswoman of the year in Season 2, not even going to school anymore?

Special Agent Denise and Na(y)dine were the best things I've ever seen.

IIRC, for the ENTIRE post;

There was never a third season expected. They knew fairly early on during season 2 that they'd not get renewed.

David Lynch only properly directed a few of the eps, and his ones usually covered teh seriously twisted bits - the dreamscapes, for example.

You started this before me and ended after me.

These sentances aren't necessarily related, just ebbs of thought.

What I loved most was how the music was so seminal yet ridiculous. It helped reinforce the series' dark humour. The storyline was never solid or truly the focus of the show, it was mostly about the characters and the scripts and the general tone. lynch is fantastic at forcing you to feel and emotion - he does it best when he makes you aware you're watching a show.

I think the ending was horrible yet totally apt, and is in my top 5 series endings of all time. You're left wanting more yet you totally understand the direction chosen.

I forget everything else I wanted to say.

If you have an xbox and love the show then buy Deadly Premonition. It's the greatest nod to the show on earth.

I've not yet seen the film, which I hear is a sort of prequel thing. If you're stuck for what to watch next then The Prisoner is an excellent choice - only 6 episodes long yet it maintains a dreamlike feel throughout, and is fairly consistent with the paranoia tone.

Yeah while the endind is so ripe for more to be seen, I feel really at ease with it, everything was in it's right place.

I thought they were hoping for a third season...that's why they had kinda random plot developments later on like

Donna finding out who her real Father was.

The music stunned of course because it was Angelo Badalamenti.

Thats odd, I too bought Season 1 like 2 years ago and then my girlfriend bought the Gold Box for my birthday and I finally finished it yesterday. Strange.

The music was good, but I always skipped the intro sequence. Lordy. Not sitting there for 2 minutes every time watching birds/factories/water.

I really must watch this as I've owned the dvd for over two years.

Someone want to give me the gift of time for my birthday?

The music was good, but I always skipped the intro sequence. Lordy. Not sitting there for 2 minutes every time watching birds/factories/water.

You're so bad, considering that's my favourite part of any episode.

I thought you were anti time-wasting?

Bear in mind Season 1 is 7 episodes, Season 2 is 22.

It could be brilliant - there's going to be so much expectation. I have no idea what I'd want from this, just that I hope they don't try to be too fan-serving and just do a great and innovative story. What was great about the first seasons was the lasting impact and influence it had. The cult memes that were generated do not need to be revisited... though I'm sure we'll see log lady and some 2nd-generation characters... I dunno! Guess just gotta have faith!

I only watched this a few months ago but I agree it is spectacular. Also agree with @jayseven on how amazing yet ridiculous the music was, switching the mood of the scene in absurd ways in a blink. Haven't seen the movie yet doe.

Sign in to follow this