NEurope
Caris

Best alcohol when on a diet?

Whichever makes you sick the best.

Oh, apparently tonic water is massively high in calories (more so than coke), so gin and tonics are to be avoided. But then they're rubbish anyway.

So that's why people go even more wussy and pick Slimline?

I started drinking Bells and Diet Coke just for the record. Diet Coke obviously has very few calories in and any Scottish whiskey is fairly decent also.

It really does depend on the manufacturer of the drink and whats availiable in the pub at the time.

Drinking a extremely dry wine or cider would be the best bet i.e no added sugar. In this situation the sugars should have completely fermented out and you get the most alcohol for the smallest amount of unfermented sugars.

The best thing is make your own then you can control the amount of unfermented sugar in it.

However remember alcohol on it own will still give you calories to burn. Looking at my hydrometer scale the following amounts of sugar show just how much it takes to make just the varying amounts of alcohol in the drink.

78g of sugar per litre-3.9%

104g of sugar per litre-5.2%

248g of sugar per litre-12.3%

Alcoholic drink with all the sugar fermented at around 3.9% is atleast 156 calories a half litre (not to far off a pint).

Hope you enjoyed this long boring post, but the extremely broad generalisations were getting to me :)

That's kind of the point...

If you drank 15 pints of orange juice one night a week, every week, I bet you'd get fat. Fifteen pints of any liquid in the space of a few hours is rediculously unhealthy, even water.

The habbit people need to get out of is drinking 15 pints in a night, not stopping drinking beer, wine or any other liquor.

Yeah but the point is he still wants to get drunk, so would like to know which drink has the lowest calories in relation to alcohol content.

its just controlling the drunken visit to the burger shop afterwards :(

I had chips/burger AND pizza in one bloody night. Thanks alcohol!!! lmao

(p.s i know i've got nobody to blame but myself)

In a nutshell, as long as you consume it responsibly and stay away from Lager (or anything that's carbonated for that matter) there's no reason for not drinking beer. It's calorie count is low by volume (roughly the same as tonic water) and there's proven benefits to both your heart and your blood. I know it's a bit of an odd thing to post, and a bit of an incoherrent, badly tought out late night rant, but I've started getting more in to beers (even started brewing myself) and as such I'm noticing misconceptions more.

Why do carbonated beverages make it worse?

I started drinking Bells and Diet Coke just for the record. Diet Coke obviously has very few calories in and any Scottish whiskey is fairly decent also.

Just a random thing, and I'm not sure what there is for it empirically, but I think I saw a documentary on bbc3 recently with that fit irish lass from blue peter, and basically she came to the conclusion that 'diet' products due to replacing a lot of the stuff the body likes, leads to people actually getting fatter. Admittedly she stuck a 'diet' only diet, but apparently because your body doesn't get what it's expecting, you still eat/overcompensate to future proof, or something.

But tbh I don't think that'll apply to diet cokes down the pub.