NEurope
Caris

Best alcohol when on a diet?

I'm pretty clued up on calorie content and all that jazz for foods and normal drinks, but alcohol is one area where I know very little. So I need some advice.

I haven't really drank much over the past couple of year because of some medication I was on, but I've been off it for a few month now and started getting into my glorious drinking habits once again. Problem is, I'm still on the last stretch of my diet and don't want to upset it too much and I'm not sure what the best thing to drink when I'm out is?

I normally drink Fosters, or Jack D and Coke. Obviously larger is terrible and I'm not sure on spirit's.

Help meh!

Edited by Caris

Think it's a lose/lose situation, that don't do diet alcohol, and beer, spirits, whatever all have a reasonably high calorie count.

Well obviously some are much better than others, and I will only be going on once a week so If I'm sensible it will be fine.

Edited by Caris

Probably neat spirits is your best bet, common sense says smallest amount of liquids equates to smallest amount of calories.

Probably neat spirits is your best bet, common sense says smallest amount of liquids equates to smallest amount of calories.

^

Spirits have the lowest calorie count in all alcohol, obviously on a night out it's sometimes not a matter of avoiding them, but steer clear of fizzy mixes, go for orange and vodka or something instead.

Stay away from beer, wine, cider, all have high calorie content I'm afraid.

Bit of a silly question, but do most pubs and clubs serve diet coke as well as normal? It's not something I've ever asked.

Bit of a silly question, but do most pubs and clubs serve diet coke as well as normal? It's not something I've ever asked.

Some do, I know in Sheffield they do, although it doesn't make much difference as I find my friends get smashed and forget to mention it.

Diet Coke + your choice of Spirit = Fat free night out.

Neebosh.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

yeah there's only something like 35/40 cals in a pub measure vodka, with diet mixer = win. If a pub doesn't serve diet coke i'd be giving them what for :P

avoid juices because they are usually the full sugar kind, ciders and beers are just full of cals, and obviously wkds etc

A pint of guiness has fewer calories than a pint of orange juice. Trivial Pursuit fact ftw.

yeah, any good pub will have diet coke. Funnily enough I was thinking this exact thing earlier- my conclusion was the same as everyone's here - spirits are the way forward! my beer belly may be thankful, but I'm sure my liver'd have a few words to say.

Yes, and they also give you a nice gingham-pattern dress to wear with it.

I've heard that gin + carbonated water is a popular drink with people on diets.

Think it's a lose/lose situation, that don't do diet alcohol, and beer, spirits, whatever all have a reasonably high calorie count.

Ummmmmm.

weightwatcherswinesonpa.jpg

Don't quote me on this, and I imagine the difference might be negligible, but I also believe the whiter spirits have less calories than the darker ones.

Don't quote me on this, and I imagine the difference might be negligible, but I also believe the whiter spirits have less calories than the darker ones.

I think recent research has shown this to be a myth, but sadly I fail horribly in providing a link to said research. I might have read it in the New Scientist or something...

I had a friend who tried to lose weight by drinking Magners Light... it must be disgusting though. :heh: Also in general cider doesn't give you as much of a beer belly - this must be jayseven's ploy.

A friend of mine who properly buffed up while at uni stayed well away from the beers, ciders and lagers and mostly had neat spirits or mixed with diet coke. Definitely worked for him so yeah, I agree with the above. Iirc his poison of choice was whiskey.

A friend of mine who properly buffed up while at uni stayed well away from the beers, ciders and lagers and mostly had neat spirits or mixed with diet coke. Definitely worked for him so yeah, I agree with the above. Iirc his poison of choice was whiskey.

You wouldn't really need to avoid them if you were buffing up though as you'd need extra calories. He could have been doing it to be generally healthier but then drinking spirits would have contradicted that.

As far as I'm aware "buffing up" isn't about just getting as many calories into you as possible its about getting the right things into you in a useful way.

As far as I'm aware "buffing up" isn't about just getting as many calories into you as possible its about getting the right things into you in a useful way.

Well beer has proteins and vitamins in. So it's much healthier than spirits and diet coke.

Vodka & soda water. The only calories would be in the vokdka which is very little