NEurope
Ashley

The Joys of Repeat Viewings

Given the context, I assumed it was fairly obvious. But I'll gladly explain: My point was simply that Oxigen_Waste is once again being arrogant and condescending, pretty much insulting everyone who's not him.

But is there any point in pointing out how he posts when you could just easily answer to what he posted.

Recently people seem more concerned about how people post rather than what they post.

To stay on topic:

If we are not limiting it to only TV/films, then I'm gonna say Godspeed You Black Emperor.

I never get tired of listening to them.

Another thing would be Futurama, it may be because its just one those shows where I kinda turn my brain off while watching, but re-watching some episodes and noticing some joke in the background or just something I found to be a subtle joke to notice the first time.

Its also one of those shows where a lot of the jokes are still funny after the first watch.

But is there any point in pointing out how he posts when you could just easily answer to what he posted.

Recently people seem more concerned about how people post rather than what they post.

I didn't really have anything to say about what he posted, though, but I wanted to comment on how he posted it. I have no problems with his opinion on Inception, but I'm just tired of this attitude that he often posts with.

I didn't mean to make a debate out of it, though. That's why I simply used a humourous image. Anyway, I won't derail the thread further. Carry on!

Im looking forward to repeat viewings of Scott Pilgrim, I'm guessing it's one of those films that remains enjoyable after a good few viewings - maybe even better the second or third time - and then gets shelved for a while and pulled out again at random but less frequent intervals.

Is that just for Inception or is everyone dumb/distracted if they don't spot every little detail in one viewing?

Just for Inception, of course. :D Otherwise I'd be calling myself dumb for even posting things I think need repeated viewings in order to fully enjoy.

Given the context, I assumed it was fairly obvious. But I'll gladly explain: My point was simply that Oxigen_Waste is once again being arrogant and condescending, pretty much insulting everyone who's not him.

Come on, I'm not being arrogant this time! I'm just paraphrasing!!! Nolan himself said the script had to be dumbed down several times because test audiences weren't getting anything out of it, and it reached a point were they just had to strip it to a minimum and make it perfectly understandable the first time around.

So I'm not insulting everyone who's not me... nor am I insulting anyone at all... the simple fact is, considering the script was simplified to the point of it being explained by the characters themselves, if you really missed anything of the inner workings of the plot the first time around AND if it wasn't because you were somehow distracted, that means you're slightly dumber than the market research group average. And that's not me insulting anyone, that's just how it is.

Of course I'm not calling you dumb. I don't think you're dumb at all, you come of as quite an intelligent cat, from your posts. Just coz I think you have bad taste, that has no relation with what I think of your intelligence. I've met many a genius with foul taste buds. Hell, you're probably smarter than me! I'm knowledgeable in some key areas, but pretty average when it comes to smartness, I (supposedly) have an IQ of 102 (which is absolutely average) and I'm quite aware of it.

And believe me, if you were 100% glued to the screen like I was the first time I saw it, you wouldn't have missed anything.

Anyway, the main point here is that I think it gains absolutely nothing at all from a second viewing unless you weren't perfectly clear on what happened, as the plot (as convulted as it is) is linear in nature. It was desinged to be 100% understood on the first viewing

While in something like Fight Club it's absolutely impossible to understand some of the references on the first hour or so the first time around, as they're subliminal in nature and you're only informed of their existance 30 mins before it ends.

And as for Lynch's work for example, it's possible to fully get it the first time around, but you'd have to be a genius and have a brilliant memory.

All of Spaced. There's so many jokes and references packed so tightly together that I can't see anyone fully appreciating the episodes first time through.

+1 to that.

I've watched all the way through Spaced so many times and still find it hilarious.

"Go on then, I'll have half"

"It's a tic-tac."

I was gonna thank Mundi's post, but then realized it'd be ambiguous, since he made two separate points, so... Mundi, thanks for mentioning Godspeed.

Which reminded me of these cats, now:

Off topic, I know...

I wouldn't let IQ scores worry you Oxigen, they don't really mean much in most contexts.

Anyway, I actually found Scott Pilgrim to be a worse on a second viewing, although that may be because I read the originals in between - somehow it seemed more cheesy and less clever. But I'll be seeing it again this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see what I think third time around.

Just for Inception, of course. :D Otherwise I'd be calling myself dumb for even posting things I think need repeated viewings in order to fully enjoy.

Come on, I'm not being arrogant this time! I'm just paraphrasing!!! Nolan himself said the script had to be dumbed down several times because test audiences weren't getting anything out of it, and it reached a point were they just had to strip it to a minimum and make it perfectly understandable the first time around.

So I'm not insulting everyone who's not me... nor am I insulting anyone at all... the simple fact is, considering the script was simplified to the point of it being explained by the characters themselves, if you really missed anything of the inner workings of the plot the first time around AND if it wasn't because you were somehow distracted, that means you're slightly dumber than the market research group average. And that's not me insulting anyone, that's just how it is.

Of course I'm not calling you dumb. I don't think you're dumb at all, you come of as quite an intelligent cat, from your posts. Just coz I think you have bad taste, that has no relation with what I think of your intelligence. I've met many a genius with foul taste buds. Hell, you're probably smarter than me! I'm knowledgeable in some key areas, but pretty average when it comes to smartness, I (supposedly) have an IQ of 102 (which is absolutely average) and I'm quite aware of it.

And believe me, if you were 100% glued to the screen like I was the first time I saw it, you wouldn't have missed anything.

Anyway, the main point here is that I think it gains absolutely nothing at all from a second viewing unless you weren't perfectly clear on what happened, as the plot (as convulted as it is) is linear in nature. It was desinged to be 100% understood on the first viewing

While in something like Fight Club it's absolutely impossible to understand some of the references on the first hour or so the first time around, as they're subliminal in nature and you're only informed of their existance 30 mins before it ends.

And as for Lynch's work for example, it's possible to fully get it the first time around, but you'd have to be a genius and have a brilliant memory.

I think it's just the way you come off. The way you word your posts. You just seem to have an innate ability to appear arrogant. :heh:

But hey, thanks for being awesome about it. :) I apologise if my behaviour was rude or if I misunderstood your intentions. Your point seems entirely solid and well-explained when laid out like that, even to the point where I actually agree with you. I'd still say it's pretty easy to miss some stuff, though, and I doubt most people got everything on their first go, but let's let sleeping dogs lie now that we've both made our points. :)

I think it's just the way you come off. The way you word your posts. You just seem to have an innate ability to appear arrogant. :heh:

But hey, thanks for being awesome about it. :) I apologise if my behaviour was rude or if I misunderstood your intentions. Your point seems entirely solid and well-explained when laid out like that, even to the point where I actually agree with you. I'd still say it's pretty easy to miss some stuff, though, and I doubt most people got everything on their first go, but let's let sleeping dogs lie now that we've both made our points. :)

Yeah, you should meet me irl. I talk the same way, but body language takes almost all of the edge off of it. Because I smile and joke around almost constantly, so it helps. Nobody's ever accused me of being arrogant irl (except a teacher, but I did that on purpose, lol), but it happens all the time on the internets... I guess it's the curse of indirect discussion.

Anyway, on topic, just remembered, since we're talking about Nolan...

memento_poster.jpg

Because what you discover at the end makes into a completely different movie the second (and subsequent) time around than it is on the first time.

I need to watch Scott Pilgrim again, mainly cause I really enjoyed it ,but saw a "bad wuality" version "somewhere" (...) and so I missed some of the visual jokes entirely

It was on display in the Blu-Ray bit of HMV, and I actually laughed out loud when it showed Chris Evans' character's advert for his new movie, with the tiny tagline, "Kiss me, I'm dying." I love.

Got to agree with Oxigen Waste about Inception, it really wasn't hard to understand at all, anybody who thought it was has got to be a bit thick.

I thought it was supposed to be cheesy, no? Was that not on purpose? Oo

Oh, well of course. But it seemed less knowingly so the second time round. Not "ironic" enough. :heh:

Oh, well of course. But it seemed less knowingly so the second time round. Not "ironic" enough. :heh:

Only seen it once, will repeat sometime.

I'm trying to think of some movie but I can't.

I suppose I'm one of those people who isn't a fan or re-watching films..

Apart from old Disney movies which are Just GREaT because of pure notalgia.

I think books should be mentioned too. I've always enjoyed re-reading the Harry Potter series. Probably due to psychological escapism, or...you know.

I only needed to look at your sig.

Once you "know", it's a completely different experience:

vertigo.jpg

How cool are you! :D So much more respect for you now! :p

Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only one I know who's seen his movies :/

But yes I agree, I tried watching it for a few minutes a while ago but the 1st time you watch it is so much more magical.

It still has it's charm but Hitchcock builds on suspense. So you'll rarely experience any of his movies the same twice.

Edited by Frank

How cool are you! :D So much more respect for you now! :p

Sometimes I feel as if I'm the only one I know who's seen his movies :/

But yes I agree, I tried watching it for a few minutes a while ago but the 1st time you watch it is so much more magical.

It still has it's charm but Hitchcock builds on suspense. So you'll rarely experience any of his movies the same twice.

I've seen all his movies from 1935-1963, which were more or less 30 movies. Most of them multiple times. Because he's just that good.

:bowdown:

I still have some movies of his left to watch. I got a cracker of a deal on amazon which was abut 20 movies for just over a tenner.

Oh, actually, I just remembered that I love re-watching Strangers on a Train every now and then. Probably my favourite by him, or Marnie. Of course, the fact that Farley Granger is sex on legs also helps.

i love watching The Birds & Marnie for Tippi. Most beautiful face and voice EVA!!

You got a favourite?

I usually rewatch movies/works simply because I like them that much. Never to understand something better.

Even those movies with big twists at the end, I tend to replay the movie in my head. Whenever I watch a movie, I tend to make a mental note of "things that didn't quite make sense". After the twist, I review the general sequence of events and replay the odd moments in my head, and everything pieces together. I'm currently thinking of Fight Club, where I did watch it a second time shortly afterwards and felt I didn't miss a thing the first time (aside from one or two unimportant details).

Inglourious Basterds, Pulp Fiction, Toy Story 3 and Slumdog Millionaire are films that I recently rewatched, and wouldn't mind rewatching right now. Can't think of much more at the moment.

For things that aren't movies, any series that's short and sweet is worth rewatching. Ditto for nostalgic shows, that you haven't seen in a very long time.

Shows that don't fit either criteria...very rarely.

@Oxi_Waste: Did you first watch Inception with subtitles? Because I'm pretty sure I would've missed half the information if they weren't there.

:bowdown:

I still have some movies of his left to watch. I got a cracker of a deal on amazon which was abut 20 movies for just over a tenner.

Oh, actually, I just remembered that I love re-watching Strangers on a Train every now and then. Probably my favourite by him, or Marnie. Of course, the fact that Farley Granger is sex on legs also helps.

i love watching The Birds & Marnie for Tippi. Most beautiful face and voice EVA!!

You got a favourite?

I don't like birds. =/

Favourite? Either Vertigo or Rear Window.

I'm currently thinking of Fight Club, where I did watch it a second time shortly afterwards and felt I didn't miss a thing the first time (aside from one or two unimportant details).

Of course you did. You missed all the times he was identified as Tyler before the phone call, you missed the spliced shots, you missed all the times Tyler was there before Norton even met him at the plane... but none of these are that important... but... above all, you missed the part where they were both the same person... the knowledge of which allows you to actually see the movie for what it truly is the second time around, while the first time you were pretty much just playing into the movie's little mind games.

Also, I'd like to make it clear, I love rewatching things... I was just creating a divide between those that actually benefit from a second viewing and those which are awesome to re-watch but stay the same.

@Oxi_Waste: Did you first watch Inception with subtitles? Because I'm pretty sure I would've missed half the information if they weren't there.

Yep, I did. Sabes como é, aquilo tinha de ser visto no cinema!! But I don't "use" them. I rarely do in english. Still, Dboy saw it with subs too, I'd bet!

Yup, there were subtitles. I do prefer them in English, though, as they're more accurate. Without them, I might have understood even less the first time around.

I didn't watch it with subtitles, meaning I didn't understand half of what was being said (because for some reason the music/background noise was often louder than the voices). Yet I still feel like I understood it all. Would still like to see it again at some point though, with subtitles (so I can at least know what all the names of the characters are haha).

Scott Pilgrim comes to mind, I noticed a few more background things when I saw it for the second time recently.

Also, this may some cheesy but "Friends" has a lot more one-liners and innuendos that I never got when I watched as a kid but now I understand why the audience laughs now and I wasn't!

Simpsons and Futurama as already mentioned I think are the same as Friends for me.

I'll have a second run through of Arrested Development eventually when I find time.

I was more confused by the amount of people that were totally and utterly dumbfounded by Inception. I only saw it once and got it completely. Obviously on a second or third viewing there would be pieces of dialogue I'd pick up that I may have missed/forgotten - which is what this thread is about. :p